Marshall Origin owners, what boost do u like with it?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by fender4life, Oct 7, 2021.

1. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Just curious. I have a TC spark that seems to work quite well. But because i have not been a big pedal guy till the origin which is totally dependent on them for what i want from it, i'm just curious since i have only tried the TC and my trusty tube screamer. I use the TC spark as an always on clean boost to drive the preamp into distortion and the screamer for a bit more clean boost (distortion knob off and level up) when hot lead tones are needed. Guitar volume w/treble bleed gets my cleans. But just wondering what other origin owner use and have found while experimenting with pedals for it.

2. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I use a variety of stuff with mine. My clean boost is a TC Spark mini. It works great.

I like to set the amp so it’s edge of breakup/light breakup, and go from totally clean to crunchy chords, and control volume, with just my right hand dynamics. I never use the guitar’s volume knob except to do swells, or kill it between songs. I’ve never found one that sounds good turned down. It’s always a compromise. Wide open is the only way for me.

That said, I’ll use a variety of gain stages on the floor for various punch and overdrive needs. Right now my gig board carries a Tone Corset comp, a TS Mini, an MXR custom badass 78 distortion, and the TC Spark Mini. I will occasionally swap out the TS for an SD1. I also have an MXR Classic Distortion, and a Vox Satchurator, and a Reverend Drivetrain II, and Fulltone Catalyst Fuzz, and some other odds and ends. But mostly I stick with a comp, an SD or TS od, and the Spark as my main boxes.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
  3. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

I like the Spark (full-size 4-knob) with humbuckers. For single-coils I really like the Tchula, either that or a Cali76 compact with a little compression and a lot of gain.

Lately, though, it's the El Pescadoro that's getting all the love. Not for everybody but I love this thing, and it sounds great with the Origin. One pedal and a clip-on tuner and I can play anywhere.

4. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I've been enjoying Klon Clones lately. Gain at near nil with volume to boost.

redchapterjubilee and Glen W like this.
  5. GearHund

GearHund Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I have been enjoying a Wampler Tumnus (mini version) used as a boost into my OR-20. Mainly with single coils. It makes them sing.

redchapterjubilee likes this.
  6. fender4life

2 of 4 replies use one of the sparks. Thats good to hear. I keep wondering is mine is the best for the amp but the seem pretty popular. One thing i have been thinking of trying is putting a a boss blues driver in place of my TS. I hear a lot of great things about them and i do recall when i had a katana the blues driver model was far ad away my fav stomp model in the entire list in the sneaky amps list. I never used any other once i heard that one. So when i started looking at reviews of the real thing they reflected my feelings. Not that the TS doesn't do a great job. If it didn't i'd definately try the BD-2 and would still like to anyways just out of uber curiosity.

Jakedog likes this.
  7. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

For a cheap, fun experiment, try an SD1. It kinda splits the difference between a TS and BD. I never liked the BD. I found it too transparent, almost a scooped sound. It sounded pretty good by itself. It got totally lost in a mix, for me. The SD1 is one of my all time favorite pedals. People tend to overlook them because they’re cheap, but man, they’re awesome.

They have a little mid bump, but nothing like a TS to my ears. And I forget which is which, but IIRC, one of them is symmetrical clipping and the other asymmetrical. So they are quite different from one another.

AtlanticCity83 and RetroTeleRod like this.
  8. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

I don't actually goose/boost my Origin (or any amp for that matter).... it's a great clean (on edge of breakup) pedal platform and I keep my pedals gain staging appropriately so they never actually add more than a couple DB at most. My dirt comes from a variety of pedals... not the amp itself.

If I did boost it with anything, I'd likely just use my BOSS LS-2... it's an extremely flexible pedal that can double as a very transparent clean boost. I'm also a big fan of Tube Screamers... so I could see myself hitting it hard with one of those as well.

9. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I use a Greer Lightspeed for low to mid level gain, and a J-Rockett Dude for mid-to high gain with my Origin-50.

I recently picked up a used Marshall Jackhammer pedal for cheap, surprisingly, it sounds great for gain playing Nugent’s, “Strangle Hold” and Mountain’s, “Mississippi Queen”.

2C47E2D3-0BD0-4FE2-815A-630307E2E5DD.jpeg
    A50401E3-6BDB-4B43-92E1-935B9152C5D3.jpeg

10. AtlanticCity83

AtlanticCity83 TDPRI Member

I use an SD1 in combination with my Origin 50 Combo. Works very, very well.

11. Glen W

Glen W Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My NUX klone with the gain set set low - around 9 o’clock - brings out a nice snarl on the bridge pickup stuff. I wasn’t so crazy about it through my Fender amps, but it makes good sounds with the Origin 20C.

AtlanticCity83 likes this.
  12. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Treble booster!

41144 and AtlanticCity83 like this.
  13. AtlanticCity83

AtlanticCity83 TDPRI Member

Somebody plays a 78 Distortion? Is it a great pedal, either in combination with an SD1 or as a "stand-alone" Drive unit?

14. brock1774

brock1774 TDPRI Member

Owned a 50H for about a year, used a lot of different drives with it and all of em sounded pretty good. OCD and Rat prob the best, my MKII tone bender ripped through it as well.

15. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I'm using a scratchbuilt variation of a Catalinbread Naga Viper with my Origin 20H, with great results. The range control of the N.V. allows for getting things right in the sweet spot, that IMO the vast majority of treble boosters may either hit or miss.

northernguitar likes this.
  16. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

Tube Screamer

Actually, I use TWO. I set the amp clean. Max wattage but clean. One TS for crunch (Low drive and high level) and the second for leads (higher drive and level too). Is all I need.

Interesant the Spark. I use it in my acoustic duo for boosting leads.

17. Basswombat

Basswombat TDPRI Member

Funny you say that, I use a Hudson Gospel Bomb and really like it with the Origin.

18. fender4life

Funny u say that because i am using 2 screamers too. A TS5 and a TS7. BUT NOT with the origin, i returned that and i am selling the spark boost i used with it. But because i made a small pedal board for the origin i thought i'd try it with my GTX modeling amp and i loved it, but replaced the spark with a second screamer. My GTX is IMO a great amp i use in a band context often and thought couldn't be happier with it. But using it with 2 tube screamers i like it even more. It's killin like this. I used to use the built in screamer model but this sounds better. I use one that always on with the level boosting the amp a bit and distortion off and lower the amp model gains to to less than usual and make up for it with the TS. Then a second one to boost for high gain stuff. Not only is the overall amp sound even better, but models i liked but who's max gain was very low i can now add a bit more to my liking I often couldn't do that with the stomp models in the amp because of several limitations. At first after i returned the origin and started using pedals with the GTX i was using the spark as always on and a TS for hi gain boost. But i soon discovered the TS just sounded better in ways that are just what i love and being that i already own 2 screamers i replaced it with the second TS. Been using TS's for decades as hi gain boost but this is the first time i ever used it as a always on tone enhanced. But as always with them, i use then as clean boost and the distortion knobs are always on zero. I just live the TS mid boost. To my ear it's in just the right and perfect freq range for both clean and OD shaping. They haven't been one of if not THE most popular OD's for decades for nothin !

On a side note, for those who think they are too skinny on bass, theres a dead simple mod that will give it as much as u could ever want and all you have to do is solder in one cap without even having to remove the one thats there. And depending on cap value you can add whatever amount you want from slightly more to a LOT more. I did that to my TS7 and it retains the TS sound but with a full low end. Funny thing is, i actually prefer them stock. But because the one i modded is a TS7 with the hot switch and f i keep the volume low on the hot side to mimic the boost i use with the TS9 side i can get the stock sound and switch to the TS9 side and adjust the level accordingly when i want a TS sound with low end boost. Have a band event coming up halloween weekend and i will have a chance to see how that bass boost fares live. If i like it in that context better i will use that one as my always on.

El Marin likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.