Marshall Origin Owners Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Gatordad, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Gatordad

Gatordad TDPRI Member

After doing a search and coming up empty, I decided to create this Marshall Origin Owners Club thread, covering the Origin 5 combo, Origin 20 combo and head, Origin 50 combo and head.

I normally prefer Fender amps, love the black face tone, since I mostly play blues, classic rock and a bit of country. I have ventured into Vox territory with a Night Train 15 NT15HG2 Head, and also own a VHT Special 6 head. So, now I have been thinking it was time to consider moving into Marshall territory and after doing some research, ended up buying an Origin 20 Head (ORI20H) which arrived yesterday.

I really like it so far. I am using an inexpensive Laney 2x12 cab with WGS ET65 and Retro 30 speakers, and am quite satisfied with the pairing.

It sounds great with a variety of OD pedals. I have not had the time to try out my fuzz pedals yet. Looking forward to that, soon. Now, I understand these are lower gain amps with much more clean headroom than the DSL series, for example. However, that is exactly why I opted for an Origin. I no longer have the luxury of a 24 x 24 man cave, having downsized 1 year ago from a 2,400 to a 1,200 sq ft home (in-law apartment attached to daughter's new home). So, I don't have the space to be able to turn it up to a suitable crunch/breakup level. I have many pedals that can get me into that territory and offer up different flavors as well, at a much more suitable "small room at home" volume.

My first Marshall amp:

[​IMG]

I may try different tubes, perhaps further on down the road, after I have had a chance to really get to know this amp.

Looking forward to hearing from other satisfied Origin owners.

Jakedog, Sneaks, gridlock and 2 others like this.
  2. GearHund

GearHund Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Gatordad and tce63 like this.
  3. tce63

tce63 Tele-Holic

Marshall Origin 20C here.

Great amp, not so found of the Original speaker so i have it hooked up to a Blackstar CAB with 12" Creamback, sound great.

I have also ordered a Grenback 10" (will arrive tomorrow) to change the original speaker.

[​IMG]

Southpole, pfelipebr and Gatordad like this.
  4. tce63

tce63 Tele-Holic

So today i upgraded my Marshall Origin 20C with a 10" Greenback

What a difference, the amp comes to live, couldn´t really get the amp to break up erlier with tele:s but now...........
    I had to dial the Gain down quit a bit.

An easy upgrade that i recomened

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    backporchmusic and Gatordad like this.
  5. Gatordad

Gatordad TDPRI Member

@tce63 - I'll bet you will smile even more when that G10 breaks in!

I've often thought about trying a 12" Celestion Gold but the cost has made me rather reluctant, having never ventured into the alnico realm.

tce63 likes this.
  6. tce63

tce63 Tele-Holic

A few more hours so.......so far its about 8hours, and the night isn´t over :)

Gatordad likes this.
  7. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Love, LOVE my new Marshall Origin 20C. As a dyed-in-the-wool Fender tube amp guy, I am just tickled with my first Marshall. The cleans are just incredible.
    IMG_0673.JPG

Hollandcaster, Gatordad and tce63 like this.
  8. PhatBoy

PhatBoy Tele-Afflicted

Anyone got the 5 watt? Would;d be interested in that one for the bedroom......;.

9. Gatordad

Gatordad TDPRI Member

@PhatBoy - I have my Origin 20 watt head, 2 x 12 and 1 x 12 cabs in my bedroom, which is about 10 x 12 or thereabouts and it is just fine volume wise. One of the great features on these amps is a master volume! If I want to play some slow blues, for example, and add just a bit of grit, I will have the gain fairly low, master volume to a reasonable level, and use an overdrive pedal. These amps take pedals very well. Tweak the tone stack to suit your tastes and play away. That is my take on them.

If cost is not the issue, I would suggest at least considering the 20 watt as you get more clean headroom and it does sound very nice at low volume with pedals or clean.

An added bonus for me having bought the 20 watt head, I can change cabs and get totally new flavors of tone. With that in mind, I just ordered a WGS Blackhawk 12" 50 watt alnico speaker for my Seismic Audio 1x12 cab. Should arrive today. Looking forward to finally trying an alnico speaker.

I also swapped out the stock tubes with a set of new production Tung Sol 12AX7s and EL34Bs. I really like the improvement these Tung Sols provide to my ears. The amp seemed to open up some, with more depth and clarity. That is the best I can describe it.

Yep, I'm really enjoying this amp.

tce63 likes this.
  10. North East Al

North East Al Tele-Meister

Just joined. Origin 20. Broken in 10"Greenback straight in and hooked up to the 8ohm speaker output. Bliss.

1543609132168.jpg

Gatordad and tce63 like this.
  11. tce63

tce63 Tele-Holic

Love my Origin 20C , but it was with Marshall for service for over 3 weeks

The problems

* The speaker out, got mine in Sweden in may from the first batch so Obviously i got the problem.
    * The second problem, after 5 month , playing at home in low, mid and a few times in high mode I took it to a gig, Had it in mid and for a few clean songs put it in high mode at high volume, still no problem, the next day at home it still was OK in low and mid but when i start running it in high it starts sparkling , clipping and sound like ........

So i got it back today
    they fixed the speaker out issue.
    And the problems witch the crackling and cutting out is also solved, New tubes on warranty

Today i also find a used Palmer Cab that had a Marshall logo on it.
    Inside 1*12 Greenback.
    Match up perfect with the Origin 20c
    It will be a nice weekend :cheers:

[​IMG]

Gatordad and North East Al like this.
  12. jgmouton

jgmouton Tele-Meister

Interested in the Origin 20 head but I see there's no 1 12" dedicated cab (weird by the way!) so I wondered if the new 1 12" studio vintage cab would suit the Origin head? Dimension wise and sound wise... Or another cab respecting the aesthetics? What do you think?

13. tce63

tce63 Tele-Holic

I think there is the same size, I run my Origin 20C with a Palmer 1*12 Cab with Greenback, sounds Great and is a lot cheaper then a Marshall Cab.

Great quality on Palmer cabs

https://www.thomann.de/se/palmer_pcab112gbk.htm

jgmouton likes this.
  14. cincyguitarplay

cincyguitarplay Tele-Meister

I am glad I didn't buy one ...after hearing from so many guy that aren't happy with it..and the speakers problems people have...:eek:

RodeoTex likes this.
  15. JBFatFingers

JBFatFingers Tele-Meister

Surprised there hasn't been more action in this group...I just picked up an Origin 20 head a couple weeks ago. Playing it through a 12" Celestion Vintage 30. A lot of great sounds to be had, feel like I'm still exploring and learning a lot. Curious what others are using for drive/distortion/fuzz pedals with the Origin...

tce63 likes this.
  16. North East Al

North East Al Tele-Meister

Love mine as a clean platform at home. MojoMojo and Dark Matter together gives me a nice heavy fuzz, Guvnr 2 for bit of 80s. Everything else through the loop...verb, echo, chorus. Amp is great with Tele, PRS Se and my Hagstrom. Don't expect I'll get bored anytime soon.

JBFatFingers and tce63 like this.
  17. Bikersluggo

Bikersluggo Tele-Holic

Picked up a used Origin 20C today off of Craigslist. Played it for a little bit and then had to hide it from the wife and get ready for a party tonight. So far I like it. I'll have to rearrange my amps tomorrow so that it blends in and won't be noticed.

18. tce63

tce63 Tele-Holic

I do the same thing, if it says Marshall on it, she newer know :)

19. lindgren

lindgren NEW MEMBER!

That inspired me....
    I was changing the 10" v-type for a celestion gold. .... took a Palmer cab and put the Origin stock speaker in. Changed the grill cloth to match up.
    The Gold 10 is really amazing.
    20200223_175255.jpg

tce63 likes this.
  20. tce63

tce63 Tele-Holic

Looks great :)

lindgren likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.