1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Marshall Origin 50 or 20?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by ce24, Jan 2, 2021.

1. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

I was thinking the 20 but the 50 is calling....im selling a 45 watt amp and loved it. I have a tweed deluxe and a Vibro champ....any inpit would be appreciated.
    Cheers

2. ce24

Nevermind found the exact same thread with jakedog...

Jakedog and daveIT like this.
  3. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

@ce24
    The best choice between those two would be the DSL20CR or HR. I've owned the Origin20C and DSL40CR and DSL20CR. The DSL 20 is still here!
    just My $.02,
    Gene,
    Gene

Believer, Rowdyman and ce24 like this.
  4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

My bandmate has the DSL20. I'd get the Origin 20, but preferably the SV or SC20. Unless you want digital reverb and 90s distortion.

The Origin with a good speaker is a poor man's JTM. The SV is a real JTM with jumperable channels, the SC is a more modern master volume JCM800.

Noone needs 50 watts unless you're like Johan Segerborn with custom hearing protection and your own warehouse.

5. ce24

I just watched a youtube shootout between the two with my apple tv mirroring and good sound system....im more in the vintage camp....im 70 so that figures....leaning to the ORIGIN 20.
    Thanks for the help guys!

DrBGood and Jakedog like this.
  6. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I love my origin 20. Somebody mentioned being able to jump the channels with the SV... IMO the best feature of the Origin is that they’re already jumped, and can be blended back and forth with the “tilt” knob, rather than just stuck at 50/50. As a Marshall guy from way back, this is about the coolest feature Marshall has ever come up with. I don’t know if it’s real or simulated with circuitry, but I do know it’s an awesome idea and works like a charm.

I find that the 20 on high power is enough for me to gig with with an ext cab. It doesn’t have the clean headroom to stand on its own, for what I want. This is after a tube upgrade, which did improve the headroom somewhat. If you don’t need cleans and just want overdrive, it’s plenty. Part of the reason I prefer Marshall and Marshall style amps is because of the cleans. They’re the best in the business. It should also be noted, I play really frikkin loud. I’m full band, noisy club stage volume even at home by myself. That’s the kind of headroom I demand out of my “living room” amp.

Playing the 20 since May has made me want a fifty. It would be nice to have the power on tap. I can always knock it down with the built in attenuation if need be. I have no desire to ditch the 20. I’d just like to collect em all! Hahaha!

Some folks are under the impression that you have to spend a lot more to get a great amp. I’m here to tell ya, these origin amps are SERIOUSLY under priced for what they deliver. I think they aren’t catching on because Marshall marketing is touting them as a “vintage” voiced offering, which is leading the guitarist population at large to think they’re getting a Plexi. In reality, these (sonically) have a lot more in common with the 62-66 JTM amps. They don’t have as much gain on tap. They will not scream like a Plexi. They will do the JTM thing all day long.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    MilwMark, GearHund, igor5 and 8 others like this.
  7. ce24

Would the 50 give you more clean headroom? Im getting the head to go thru a 60 watt veteran 30 Warehouse spkr. Cab.

Jakedog likes this.
  8. Jakedog

The 50 would definitely have more clean headroom. And with the variable power switch, you can knock it down to ten watts or whatever it is if you need to tame it to crank for overdrive. The power attenuation works really well on these. At the lowest setting I think it loses its balls. But at the mid setting it does it’s job really well.

MilwMark and El Marin like this.
  9. Jakedog

And really, what’s your application? For most home players, or guys who gig very politely, the 20 will have plenty of juice, if the boost is engaged. For strictly home players the 20 will probably be more than enough. My living room and basement playing is either through headphones late at night, or at full bore rump-kicking gig volumes. There’s really no grey area. Both my family, and my neighbors know who I am and what I do.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  10. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

I've been gigging a 20h into a 1x12 with Emi GB128 (6-piece band). I play mostly clean with a bit of edge, and I've yet to run out of volume. Fantastic muscular clean tone and very present in a live band mix.

I've always wanted a JTM 45, and this is a good facsimile. My new favorite amp.

MilwMark, GearHund, igor5 and 3 others like this.
  11. ce24

I'm selling my 45 watt TRAYNOR YRM-1 W/4X10 CAB...I love it but don't need the size and weight....I gig with a 5 pc. Blues band with my 5e3. I like loud also lol. Maybe better to get the 50 and have it vs the 20 and want more. Especially with the attenuation... And my guitar does have a volume knob..I also would still run my MXR micro amp on front. ;).

Jakedog likes this.
  12. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Like @Jakedog, I am also a true believer in the Origin 20. I was super excited when I first read the announcements on the Origin amps. I will tell you, I've owned the amp more than two years and still love it. When I first bought it, I told myself someday I'd own a 50 head. Because I love the way they sound.

@Dacious - I have to laugh at your comment that nobody needs 50 watts. Because it's not just about keeping your foot jammed to the floor all the time. There is a difference between big and small amps in the tones they produce. Even when just playing clean a bigger amp will give you a different response.

I will also tell you that my current band is one of the loudest bands I've ever played in. The drums/drummer drive the overall volume. I had my '59 Bassman Ri at the last practice and it was cooking on 5. That's freaking loud, my friend! ...and the drums were still easily heard. Hearing protection is required for me (my bandmates don't all feel the same way, but I'm not their parent).

My Origin 20 probably wouldn't have been able to keep up. Well, except that you can plug it into the PA (Which I've done a number of times with my old band for live gigs)

But, I've been playing my Bassman at home recently a lot, too. Yesterday I decided to measure decibels for reference. At home, playing clean and practicing technique and learning new licks/parts/etc, the decibel meter app on my phone told me my max volume was about 85 dB. Ambient noise levels were about 55 dB. While not whisper quiet, it was far form unreasonable.

My 80 watt high power tweed Twin would have sounded more full than the Bassman. It would have had a different bass response. Same circuit, just double the output tubes, bigger iron and twice the watts. But, I use it at home a lot, too. It has spectacular low volume tone, just like the Bassman. I would wager that 85 dB out of it would have had a warmer, thicker low mid response.

The bass response of the Origin 50 is different than the 20. The overall tone is a little different... the circuits are slightly different, one is cathode bias, one is fixed. The variable wattages are a little different, 1/2, 3 and 20 vs 5, 10, and 50. The 20 still sounds fantastic. I think it's a great amp for those vintage JTM45 kinda tones. As someone earlier said, if you're looking for exact JTM45 tones, go with a JTM45 or Studio Vintage 20. But, if you want something that sounds really good, a lot like a JTM and at half the price (or less)? The Origin is an incredible option.

Glen W, Treynor, privatesalt and 3 others like this.
  13. Jakedog

If size and weight is an issue, maybe also consider a rig like I’m running- I’m picky about weight and headroom. For the last 3+ years I’ve been gigging a 23lb 120 watt amp. I didn’t want to carry a 40-50 lb box. I have the 20 combo, which comes in at 31 lbs, and then a 19 lb 1x12 ext cab. It screwed up my one trip load in, but it did divide the weight and make it un-noticeable for the most part. It’s also got plenty of juice this way, and I have the option of using just the combo if I need a small rig for a polite gig.

If you have enough headroom with a 5E3 (they have pretty much none, in my experience), you’d be fine with the 20 watter.

Treynor and ce24 like this.
  14. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

like the man said, if the Deluxe is cutting it for volume, the OR20c will be fine. great-sounding little amp, versatile -- I'm playing pretty clean blues with it. The tilt control makes it easy to dial in for different guitars & different rooms.

in a 7-piece band with horns, it's not really enough amp for big stages or outdoor gigs. I bought the OR50c when one of the online stores was knocking off B-stock for under $500. If I was just going to buy one it would be the 50, unless I was sure I would never need the horsepower.

MilwMark, Treynor, ce24 and 2 others like this.
  15. ce24

I get great cleans at volume on my 5e3 on the bright #1 input. Thanks. I'm going back to the 20...that gives me more cab choices.

Jakedog likes this.
  16. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The SV and SC combos are nothing like the Origin.

I vastly prefer the Origin. Better sound. Less “hard”. Less piercing. I don’t care about authenticity. It’s like a JTM and Plexi had a baby without the faults of either.

I’d just get the 50c. The idea that no one needs a 50w amp is laughable. I don’t want to run a tiny combo flat out. Some people like that sound. I prefer having body and volume dynamics available.

While I’m a big fan of the Origin amps and I’d choose them over any other Marshall offerings (including the mini Jubilee, which the Origin wipes the floor with) the latest Hot Rod Deluxe won out for me.

Hot Rod Deluxe IV. 40lb and 40w. Pine cab. Great spring reverb. Fender clean. But leaning Bassman and with a Mid knob. The first gain channel is almost 70s Ampeg to my ear. The more drive channel is like a hot-rodded Marshall (what a mini-Jubilee wants to be) but in each case with Fender clarity and dynamics.

Maguchi and ce24 like this.
  17. ce24

So with the power scaling i can have both if i decide on the 50! :)

Socalsupermoto and Jakedog like this.
  18. Jakedog

Or just get both! Problem solved!

Maguchi, Axis29, KC and 1 other person like this.
  19. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

I have the 50H and have gigged with it. I also use it home quite a bit. With an oversized 2x12 it sounds absolutely huge.

I don’t know what Marshall it’s like or not like. To me, it’s just the Origin - a big, loud, high headroom amp with a good effects loop. It responds to fuzz nicely and I haven't found an overdrive that doesn’t play well with it.

The power scaling works well and doesn’t do weird things to the tone.

Your needs and mine are surely different, but I greatly prefer a 50w amp, especially if it has power scaling. I’d rather have the headroom and volume available if I need it.

20. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.