Marshall Origin 50 or 20?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Rufus, May 19, 2020.

1. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

While the Origin can get bright I dont find it so much of a problem. Admittedly my home/alone sound is more recording (less bass) orientated than normal.

However, this x 10 for vox amps.

MilwMark likes this.
  2. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I can’t recall - do you have the 50 or the 10? My impression is the 50 is a little toppier/more aggressive than the 20.

On my 50 the presence is usually at 0. On my 20, all the way up to 3

3. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I have the 20.

It can get bright for sure but it has good range to dial in or out ...IMO.

jgmouton and MilwMark like this.
  4. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yes, if they know what a JTM45 sounds like compared to a Plexi... But, the Origins definitely seem to be polarizing amongst Marshall folks! LOL

This was kinda my thinking.

I have my '58 Twin and my '59 Bassman Reissue, a 5e3 and a '63 VVRi. My 5e3 is close... But, it can get too loud real quick! If I want full on overdrive, my wife is throwing me the hairy eyeball like nobody's business!

The Origin does that slightly more aggressive 5f6-a thing really well... At very reasonable volumes.

The crazy thing to me, is the D/I Out. It suddenly makes a little 1x10 20 watt amp into something you can fill a stadium with. I used it at a few gigs, running into the PA and it really fills out the sound, without making stage volume retarded. It worked really well at an outdoor gig I did... a private party. I was running the Origin 20 into the POA and put it out into the FOH, and the remote speakers we had spread around the back yard. I had a number of guitar player sin the audience who were all super complimentary of the tone, and mix levels. The guys in the band were happy because they didn't have to 'compete' for volume on stage.

I hope you like yours as much as I like mine. Between my tweeds, brownface and this, I have no real interest in any other amps (other than building a few for the pure joy of building them).

Jakedog likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.