Marshall Origin 50 Combo horror stories?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by blowtorch, May 16, 2020.

1. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

@blowtorch. Who is writing those reviews? Real players or ... ?

All I can say is I love mine.

I run it with the Gain and volume 2 o’clock plus. Control from the guitar. knock down the attenuator/power scaling to quiet it down. Lively, dynamic and full. Very flexible once you learn how the controls work and interact.

Maybe I got lucky. But I’ve run it for countless loud rehearsals for 2-3 hours in our hot little studio. And many shows.

In fact I like it so much I’m considering the 20 combo for rehearsal (the 50 is so darn loud in a small room) and really small shows (maybe).

Huge value for the price.

Curious why you and @Jakedog are looking at tubes again though.

blowtorch and Jakedog like this.
  2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Mark, you've got an Origin 50 Combo?
    Earlier while doing (ahem) internet research I knew I'd run across you here, but for some reason I thought you were talking about the head. Also, I was very interested in what you'd had to say about the HRDLX IV. I loved my old HRDLX V.1, for it's cleans, but never cared for the drive/more drive

MilwMark likes this.
  3. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know if the Origins are different to the Studios, but I had the Mini-Jubilee now sold as the Studio Jubilee combo. It has chassis mounted power tubes but the PCB is on standoffs off the tube sockets and the PCB was not scorched after eighteen months despite me cooking some tubes in 110deg F heat.

beyer160 and blowtorch like this.
  4. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

As I mentioned in my Origin 20 thread, my DV Mark isn’t going anywhere. This is just for fun/different. Not to mention, I’ve tempted the amp gods to smite me for far too long now. Only owning one amp is really ridiculous for somebody who gigs like I do. Sooner or later that was going to bite me in the ass. Now I have a functional backup. I would have bought a second DV, but first who can find one? And second, I’ve always been a Marshall guy and it’ll be fun to have one around again. Especially one that is so much in the JTM ballpark for such a great price. I’m really having a ball with it. Although once things get back to being more normal I may just leave it at the rehearsal space.

MilwMark likes this.
  5. blowtorch

Although I can't speak for Jakedog, I know he'd spoke of missing the familiarity of his Marshalls.
    With me, it's just too much money in my pocket along with too much wondering what I'm maybe missing out on. Pretty sure though that with the weight/performance ratio of my DV Mark, that's not gonna get beat

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    MilwMark and Jakedog like this.
  6. blowtorch

If the modeling of my Marshall CODE is any kind of true indication, I love the Jubilee sound

Jakedog likes this.
  7. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Ha! The Haze. I bought one. I loved it in the store. It was the very first one in stock at the local GC. I had left word with the manager to call me the moment it arrived. He did.

We unboxed it right on the sales floor together and fired it up. I bought it. At that time, it was one of the best sounding amps I’d ever heard. I LOVED it.

Got it back home, dragged it inside, and fired it up to dial it in with my pedal board for the gig that night. It ran for about ten minutes, then had a catastrophic failure. The entire output section blew out. I put it back in the car and returned it. They offered to get me another one, but I was too gun shy at that point.

thunderbyrd and blowtorch like this.
  8. blowtorch

I recall you recounting all of that, here. And that, along with the relatively inexpensive cost of the Haze, made me seriously consider it, and then, your disastrous experience made me de-consider it, with misgivings haha, i wanted to have it and love it, but I'd read of a couple other bad experiences also

Jakedog likes this.
  9. MilwMark

I had a Studio Classic and a Studio Vintage combo. Great amps. Much happier with my Origin. I know I’m not supposed to be. But I am.

@blowtorch -I’m a combo guy through and through. I like the simplicity. Guitar in one hand, pedals in backpack, amp in the other.

I do have a HRD IV. Love it. I’m fine with the prior versions though. Great stage amps. I think that’s why they get ragged on - too loud for home and the EQ is tuned for a loud mix.

The IV is lighter, more versatile (the EQ, volume Drive all just work a bit better somehow, and have more useable range maybe?). Also I think the reverb is better.

Nice, dynamic, versatile amp. I use the Drive channel mostly. But a few loud shows I cranked the clean channel to slight breakup. Very lush. Detailed and sparkly but with mids. Kinda like a Bassman combo and a Deluxe Reverb had a baby and it was a 112 combo with the Mids of a Bassman?

Don’t ask me pick between the Origin and the HRD IV. I Love and use them equally. Maybe the HRD a bit more because of the reverb?

gimmeatele, Jakedog and blowtorch like this.
  10. blowtorch

Yep. There's just no way it makes any sense any other way, unless I'm playing stadiums, and no one does that anymore outside of dinosaur acts

MilwMark likes this.
  11. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Holic

Hey I have a blues junior and an origin head, I am an enlightened soul. :)

blowtorch likes this.
  12. MilwMark

Oh, and @Jakedog, I’m not a manual reader but I think the “Boost” on the Origins adds drive rather than level, mostly.

You know how most old Marshall’s are pretty good but maybe a little bland until you hit a certain point on the Level and/or Drive knobs and then you’re suddenly in “Holy **** this is ****ing amazing!” territory?

That’s how I use that knob. If I’m at below **** eating grin territory due to low volume, I pull it out and then my face goes all Billy Zoom.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    blowtorch and Jakedog like this.
  13. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I was under the impression that the boost function does not offer a viable clean/dirty switch at gigs as the volume difference is too marked and can’t be dialed in?

is that the case?

14. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

I have one

I like it... I got one for my covers band. I was using a Princeton and sometimes I needed more watts and headroom so I got a 50C for a few €

I like so much that I even put on on sale my Bassman 59 LTD and got another for my Originals Band. But this time a head and a 1922 (V30+G12T-75)

No issues in 3 months of hard rehearsal and gigging. And we do the rehearsals playing like we are on a gig... volume, watts and attitude wise... well, first we do some things we need to improve and then we run the complete setlist as we are live. That's the secret of our success, we are really well trained.

With this I mean I crank the amp. I am using the medium power setting so far without other pedals than the Marshall one. Using the amp bost and the tuner placed on top of the amp through the effect loop. Yes, it works. Or the high power dialed clean (amost) with two Tubescreamers, one for crunch and second for soloing)

No issues so far. The speaker, a Neodimium one is really good sounding and is a feather. Is really a "grab and go" amp

The DI/line output, is outstanding. It doesn't mean perfect but is the best I have heard ever in an amp.

I wish it had metal corner protectors, but that is something I can add in 3 minutes.

BUT then I got a head for another band, my main band. Why? because the covers band is a trio I am the only guitar player. In my Originals band we are five of us, harp/singer, bass, drums and two guitars and I find that 2x12" opens and fills the room more than a combo.

The boost does it's work, boost what you have. If you are clean it boost your clean sound, if you are overdriven it boost your overdriven tone. It adds a bit of gain, yes but is not a clean/dirt, get a TS808 for that

Well, for the hell of it. Here is my combo. Is a classic look Bluesbreaker alike

[​IMG]

And this is my head+2x12"

[​IMG]

Witch would I get now I have both? I like combos, I always had a Twin Reverb and a Bassman 59... But this time I would get a head and a 2x12. Maybe in the future I will try to fit two speakers inside the combo and maybe I will change the V30 and the 12GT-75 (and old white label from 1985) for two neodymium speakers as the combo has as soon as combo owners start selling theirs...
    Now I just want to play

tamer_of_banthas and blowtorch like this.
  15. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

I want to complete this...

Here is s 78 pages thread at the Marshall forum... I am there as well... I don't see any issue with combos burning PCBs

http://www.marshallforum.com/threads/the-official-marshall-origin-50-thread.101679/

I mean... sometimes, it can happen.... **** happens, you know. But then, I report it... Let's have an example: My tele finish is making bubbles and ripping off... You post it. People read it, no one has ever see something like that... but the snowball goes growing and growing...

A year afer, somebody ask? what do you think about buying a Tele and EVERYBODY starts saying "Watch out, finish can bubble!!!!"

Like applying olive oil to rosewood fretboards... people says" it can get rancid and ruin your fretboard!!!!!"... please, show me ONE, just ONE example... I have been using Olive Oil virgin extra (what we have here) for all my life and never had a problem and my fretboards are nice and shiny. But the urban legend goes on and on

I think is too soon to say that but, at least, in my case and all Origins I know, no issue ever

tamer_of_banthas and blowtorch like this.
  16. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I have a 20 Combo. I bought one of the first ones available back in Virginia. I have had the recall work done on the Speaker outs.

I've had zero issues with it. I gigged it a bit, and play it at home a good bit. I love it.

I have read, over on TGP and the Marshall Forum, of a couple users who had issues with them overheating... But, it was very anecdotal, and a small number. I want to say it was more 50C owners than 20C, but that is testing my poor memory some.

17. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

I saw someone mention the same thing about the 20 head.
    Code:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHSzRzCXV2w&t=42m19s

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.