1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Marshall origin 20

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by tele-nova, Sep 18, 2020.

1. tele-nova

tele-nova Tele-Meister

I'm considering purchasing a marshall origin 20 head. I bought a dsl1hr a little while ago but im a little disappointed with it. The gain channel is so so and the clean channel is too bright. Curious what you guys thought of these origin amps. I would be running it through 2 1x12s loaded with a g12h30 and v30

2. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

There's been lots of threads about the O 20. Check out some. Lots of personal reviews there.

3. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

I haven't heard anything bad about the Origin 20.
    I dont "need" a Marshall, but if an O20 floats by at a good price, I'd have to find room for another amp.

They dont sound like a JCM, definitely not a dsl. they have thier own thing going on.

4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Depending on what music is your preference check out the SV20 and SC20 heads. Ones a JTM45 preamp, the other is a JCM800 preamp.

5. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

I use TWO Origin 50. In different bands

I like them more than the 20. Way more headroom at the 50W setting. The the medium is like a 20W and then you have 5W for silent (not so) use

Is more a JTM45 thing than a JCM800... like an hungry Bassman and more but not high gain at all. I love them. I was playing a Princeton and a Bassman and sold them when I played them. But that is just me

6. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

I have the 20 head and go through my laney 2 x 12" cub cab. I love it, never been one for two much gain, so it is ideal for me. It can achieve clear ringing tones too a good blues mix, but have never used full gain so I cannot speak for that, it's not what I do.
    Have recently started using a fender marine layer reverb and fender pelt fuzz, and have finally found the tond which almost matches the one in my do, so I am very happy with it

Gatordad and cincyguitarplay like this.
  7. Pixies2005

Pixies2005 Tele-Meister

Owned a DSL1 for about a year but sold it as I could never get the EQ dialled in to sound good on both channels.

I tried a second hand Origin 20 a few days later and fell in love - it has a great variety of cleans available with the EQ, presence and tilt options. I use pedals for gain but digging in to the amp only can get some nice sustain and feel.

I play it through a MX112.

In my view treat it as a cleanish amp and if you like the Marshall clean you won't be disappointed.

8. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

Supposedly built for a blues breaker sound

9. BluesRockDude

BluesRockDude TDPRI Member

I have a 20H that I mostly use as a home amp. I do love it, but I mostly either play it clean or use it as a pedal platform. For my circumstances - an old flat (apartment) with poor sound insulation - using the amp's drive sound isn't something I can do very often, as both the preamp and power sections have to be pushed before it breaks up.

Gatordad likes this.
  10. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I don’t own one, but the 20w combo is on my wish list. Played it lots at the local store. As others have said, it’s not a JCM or DSL sound. When you crank it up, it definitely gets a Plexi vibe going - put a booster or classic overdrive pedal in front of that and you get great “heavy” classic rock tones.

11. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

I had a 20h for about a year. Nice amp, but I never fell in love with it - just couldn’t get the tone I wanted.

Play Orange amps now that have much more versatility for me.

12. tele-nova

tele-nova Tele-Meister

Well I just bought it

13. tele-nova

tele-nova Tele-Meister

An or 15 is on my wishlist

mkdaws32 likes this.
  14. 100LL

100LL Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I love my Fender blackfaces but I have a cool Marshall t-shirt that I like to wear. However I feel strange doing so since I don't own a Marshall amp.

So yea, this is on my list as well. Just gotta have a Marshall because they look so damn good. . iconic.

15. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

Congrats!

tele-nova likes this.
  16. SomeGuyNamedRob

SomeGuyNamedRob Tele-Meister

I think that's the biggest mistake people make when going in - expecting a Plexi or JCM 800 type sound. Doesn't help that people tend to describe these amps in terms of "Plexi on a budget."

On the other hand, if you're a fan of the Bluesbreaker sound, I think this gets close enough to scratch that itch, while still being able to do its own thing. Personally, I like them a lot, and plan to pick up a 20 watt head by the end of the year.

Gatordad, El Marin and Jakedog like this.
  17. SomeGuyNamedRob

SomeGuyNamedRob Tele-Meister

I laughed way harder at this than I care to admit.

But yeah, I think the Origin series is a nice compliment to the BF sound.

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  18. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I’ve had an Origin 20 combo since May. I’m a Marshall guy going way back. My first Marshall was a ‘76 50 watt JMP head and matching 4x12 cab. Since then I’ve had 3203 rigs, 800s, 900s, VS, and Mosfets. I got the Origin because it’s not any of those. It’s way more of a JTM vibe. Which is one I’ve never had and had always wanted. But the reissues and originals are both priced out of my budget.

The JTM amps are pre-Plexi. IMO, the Origin amps do not do a Plexi thing. And they certainly don’t do an 800 thing. The bright side is, the EQ setup and gain/master setup are incredibly effective, and with pedals, you can get basically any Marshall sound you want out of this amp.

I use mine pretty much exclusively on the full power setting. I use it with an Egnater 1x12 ext cab. It makes a great little rig. With the pull boost, tilt control (coolest amp control ever) three band eq, and presence, this little amp covers a LOT of ground.

It’s not a reissue or a clone of the 62-66 pre-Plexi JTM amps. But it’s definitely in that ballpark more so than anything else they’ve made that isn’t an expensive reissue. It’s a really cool vintage voiced Marshall, and an excellent pedal platform.

My only gripe is that I’d like a little bit louder speaker in the combo. But I have t changed it. With the 95db combo speaker, paired with the 99db speaker in the ext cab, the combo speaker kinda gets a little buried. I’d love to have a 10” version of the ext cab speaker, but if it exists I can’t find it.

Nahtabot, Treynor, RodeoTex and 2 others like this.
  19. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Our Friend Johan really liked the Origin 20 so much so that
    he said “buy this one” Johan Segeborn to me is “The E.F.
    Hutton of Tone.”

O.K. - Let’s go. :D:D

20. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Well I thought it was more Plexi-ish when dimed, but maybe I have a distorted view of the Plexi sound. In any case I will say I like the Origin cleans more than Marshall’s costing more than twice as much, and it can get you anywhere with the proper OD and boost.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.