Marshall Origin 20, real world reviews

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by RodeoTex, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Telepi

Telepi Friend of Leo's

I’ve been curious about these for a while. This thread got me to plug into a couple today at my GC.

The first was the 20C. I grabbed a Tele off the wall. This amp does “clean” real nice. I kept the master on 3. The gain all the way up and then boosted it with the pull knob. I played with the presence and tilt. Both work quite well. Digging in on the guitar, it had the nice edge of break up going. It would be perfect for me at home. I used the power scaling switch and didn’t hear any difference in volume. However, the 20watt sounded a bit fuller.

Next I ventured into the Platinum room. They had the Origin 20 head hooked up to a half stack Marshall with 4 Speakers. That set up was completely different than the combo. Same settings and it was noticeably louder and cleaner. But still had some grit. Sounded good. Just not my cup of tea. Maybe a single 12” cab or a 2x12 would have be better for me.

For home use and jamming with friends, I would get the combo. I guess you can always get a cabinet to plug into if you want louder.

2. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

the only open back i use& the V is part greenie-v30-and a general mix of all things that work with marshall..responds well in open or closed PL2 (2).jpg

Shuster likes this.
  3. jgmouton

jgmouton Tele-Meister

Yes, the only trouble is that it's 500mm wide whereas the head is 520mm. Don't know if it'd be suited...

4. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Meister

I have an Origin 20 Head, which I play through a 1x12 Harley Benton Cab (Vintage 30 speaker) - I LOVE it.

For Classic and Vintage rock, this amp sounds amazing, but also cleans up really well to give a nice slightly broken up 60's clean.

The cabs are a bargain too - 120Euro for the 1x12 - https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g112_vintage.htm

I sold my DSL20R to buy the Origin and have never looked back - my Vox AC10 never gets a look in now either!

5. Treynor

Treynor Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Just had this delivered this evening. It came boxed and padded to the max from Sweetwater. It is supposed to be a Demo that had a $135 discount. But it sure doesn't seem to be much of a demo. The foot switch, power cord and manual were still in the unsealed factory packing!

First impressions...straight from guitar to amp with no effects...just wow! That's all I got for now. I'll post more this weekend after I put it through all the paces.

fullsizeoutput_150f.jpeg

6. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I'm planning to go look at a 2 month old used 20c over the weekend. How simple is the speaker jack fix? I don't know if this amp has that issue, the guy didn't mention anything about it but it would be nice to know what i'm talking about when I check it out rather than just rely on the guy trying to sell it to me. I don't plan on running two cabs with it but I might run it through a 4x12. Does the issue need rectifying if I just wanted to run it through one external cab?

Being that the amp is only 2 months old (may have sat in store much longer before purchase?) is it likely that it will have this issue?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    tce63 likes this.
  7. tce63

tce63 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

If i remeber right there is only a little red wire they connect on the bottom side of the PCB board
    If the amp is fixed there should be a sticker as in the photos on the speaker out on my Orgin 20C

If it not fixed (don´t know if it need) there is no Problem running with one Cab, so long the internal speaker is disconnected.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chunkocaster likes this.
  8. Chunkocaster

Great, thanks for that rundown and posting the pics so I know what i'm looking at. If the fix is needed and it was simple enough I was going to try doing it myself but being that it requires soldering on the pcb i'll just get it done under warranty if it needs it.

tce63 likes this.
  9. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Not being the original purchaser might be an issue in getting it done under warranty. You might need the guy selling it to make the call to Marshall and give you a copy of the original receipt.

I'll be honest, I have not run into any problem... I have not run any external speakers (been really happy with the internal one, actually). I don't even have any external cabinets, currently. But, yes, I understand it is a pretty simple fix, but does require some work to the PCB behind the speaker jacks.

I also believe that Marshall fixed the second wave of these that got sent out.

Treynor and Chunkocaster like this.
  10. Chunkocaster

Thanks, do you know roughly when the first and second lot of these amps came out? The guy mentioned the 8 months left of warranty in his listing and had a pic of the purchase receipt. States he bought it in December last year. I'm interested in it mainly for it's portability and don't plan to run it with my 4x12 often but the option might come in handy at times. I know the local store he purchased it from and have had dealings with them before. Might help if a warranty claim is needed.

Axis29 likes this.
  11. Treynor

I can confirm that on subsequent waves they must have fixed this. The one I just received has the update.

Axis29 and Chunkocaster like this.
  12. Treynor

tce63 posted a pic above showing the new jack labeling. Below is what the original looked like before the fix. The guy you are looking to buy from could send you a pic so you can verify.

BTW...mine does not have the added label. It is right on the panel now.

ycrDPN8.jpg

Axis29 and Chunkocaster like this.
  13. Chunkocaster

Thanks, yeah I took note of the change in label after the mod. Yours is a 50w head? Not sure if the labels are identical on the 20c? The guy hasn't mentioned any mod being done and might not even be aware if it's required or not. I presume this amp is a recent build due to the sale date but could have possibly sat on the floor since the first run? I just wondered if I could tell by a manufacture date when I check it out or if the issues were just on random amps in the first batch.

14. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

Marshall originally slanted the top of their 4x12 so the cab/head combination would look better. The dimensions of the cab were based on efficient use of plywood sheets, with less waste.

The fact that it worked so well is a very pleasant bit of serendipity.

tce63 likes this.
  15. Chunkocaster

On a google search a few guys have fitted 12inch speakers in their Origin 20 combos by slightly modifying the cabinet.
    Pretty cool that you have that option without changing cabs.

Also thought this was a good demo to hear the difference between the combos speaker and running it through a 4x12. Sounds better through the 4x12 imo.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    RodeoTex and tce63 like this.
  16. Treynor

Spent several hours this morning putting the Origin 20C thru the paces. I played Teles, Strats, Les Pauls, 335 and a Narrowfield PRS plugged straight into the amp. With minor adjustments on the settings, they all sounded superb through the Marshall. And the amp exhibited what I call that characteristic "Marshall sizzle" with all of them. I tried all 3 attenuated settings, but spent most of my time at the full 20 watts. For me, both the 3 watt and 20 watt sound great, but the .5 watt is a little thin for me.

Pictured below is the rig I spent about an hour with when I tried it with some pedals thru the effects loop. The loop is one of the best I have heard. I usually prefer to plug my entire pedal board into the front of an amp, but this one sounded so quiet, really making the pedals shine, that I will definitely be going this route with the amp.

One of the most exciting discoveries with this setup is that have I no need for an additional OD or dirt pedal. With the Master on 7 and the gain about 6, I was getting some great on the edge of beakup sound. Engaging the Marshall pedal boost sent it into some nice crunchy, overdriven rhythm, and engaging the Spark boost in the effects loop gave some great lead tones.

I am fully satisfied with this purchase. At this point I am quite happy with the stock tubes and Celestion V-Type speaker. Regarding the speaker, the 10 inch sounds big and full range to my ears, probably attributable to the large cabinet.

A winner!!!

fullsizeoutput_1512.jpeg

asnarski, perttime, tce63 and 2 others like this.
  17. Treynor

A strange double post today! Not sure what caused it???

18. tce63

tce63 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

19. Treynor

I was not feeling well this morning...seems like a cold setting in...probably from my flights to Vancouver, BC and Seattle last week. Needed something to perk me up. Yep, the shell pink Moniker thru the Origin was what the doctor ordered!

fullsizeoutput_1513.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1514.jpeg

RodeoTex and tce63 like this.
  20. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Well I finally joined my own club and got this on the brown truck today.
    I've barely tried it out but i love the volume and feedback possible.
    I'm spoiled by a modeling amp as far as effects go but i think i can learn to adapt.
    20190703_162828.jpg
    This came today too but no relation.
    20190703_163146.jpg

Axis29, Treynor and tce63 like this.
  21. kohoutec

kohoutec Tele-Meister

I've got an origin 20 head coming tomorrow. Guitarguitar in the UK are knocking them out for £250 at the moment and couldn't resist at that price.
    Rather excited and hoping this is 'the one'. Most of the demos I've heard have the sound I've been looking for

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.