Marshall no good anymore?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Dannyboyee82, Nov 12, 2010.

1. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 Poster Extraordinaire

For loud and clean it's gotta be a JTM45/Bluesbreaker (although a 1986x...a Bass spec 50-watter....would also be a great choice).

2. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

It's a great amp, just not for me. Gorgeous reverb, maybe the best I've ever had.

It was always just not quite the right sound. Could not get the EQ right. I spent more time tweaking than I did playing. Always sounded OK, never just right. It would have been tolerable if I was stuck with it, but I was able to sell it for what I had in it and build a Mission 5E3 kit with the proceeds.

The 5E3 is the Antiboogie. From seven knobs and a five band graphic EQ to three knobs, and one of the three is the volume for the unused channel. Beautiful fat cleans with nice definition, vicious overdrive when cranked, and that huge sweet spot in between. A blast to play, and sounds right without hassling with a million knobs.

3. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

+1000

My 1974x is the only amp I use at the moment and I've been a dyed-in-the-wool Fender clean lover all my life......

4. SirJackdeFuzz

SirJackdeFuzz Friend of Leo's

I LOVE the current Orange Retro 50 and Thunderverb 50 heads !!!

If i could, i would own both :twisted:

5. blues

blues Tele-Holic

:cool: +100

6. sunkidd

sunkidd Tele-Holic

I have been playing Fender amps and VOX for many years...
    Had a chance to do a trade for a new '62 Bluesbreaker, so I went for it...
    I still have the Fenders and VOX but I really like the Marshall, alot!
    I even went out after having this for a couple weeks and got the Class 5...
    it's fun to lay down a rhythm loop with the Bluesbreaker and play leads over it with the Class 5.... Great sounds....
    Here is a picture of my Bluesbreaker....
    [​IMG]

7. SirJackdeFuzz

W O W, this IS the biggest Class 5 i have ever seen :twisted:

8. imsilly

imsilly Friend of Leo's

The lack of Marshall's recent popularity with more players is probably down to the absolute tripe most of their new design seem to be. Some of their newer higher gain, hybrid and solid state amps are absolutely terrible. It's not good for any brand to be associated with such shoddy work.

I'm gassing for an original Super Bass/Lead or 1974 combo, but I've never find one I both thought I could afford or liked the condition of. They are bastard rare even in the UK, especially those early combos. The fact there are so many boutique makers around making a living by building these amps or variants is a testament to their greatness. The problem now is that if you want a Marshall these days you don't buy a Marshall.

Where Marshall still seem popular is with the whole heavy metal, hair, twiddling legato players. While that is a massive market and I'm sure Marshall love milking it dry it is a turn off to virtually all other players. The brand has become a bit too polarizing in that aspect. A lot of players are not Slash Tone types, especially on boards like this.

I really like the sound of Marshalls on records and I think like others as long as those older records are being listened too the brand will still be successful. I do think they need something like a Custom Shop to build really high quality amps to compete with the boutique market if they want to recapture the majority of their fans that have experience any of their 60s or 70s amps. Having things like your Hand-wirded series fitted with exploding transformers isn't what you want.

9. emanym

emanym TDPRI Member

+1
    My 1987x (bright cap removed) has very nice cleans and is also an amazing platform for pedals,partly because that beautiful clean tone can be sooo easily pushed into dist.For such a simple amp it can be quite versatile.I think people have forgotten this & associate it with one tone (cranked,which also btw cleans up very nicely with the guitar volume).

Some of the Marshall hate surprises me.Especially when I see so many threads,here & on other forums,looking for the best "Marshall in a box" pedal,or the "Marshall's don't have good cleans" comments.I think alot of that comes from over-generalization.The best Marshall cleans (IMO) do come from the 4-holers.Also playing through a Marshall in a store is probably the worst way to form an adequate opinion of them.Until you experience one in a band situation...you just won't get it.

10. sunkidd

sunkidd Tele-Holic

You're pretty funny SirJack!
    That would be some massive modification...:)
    Here is the little guy and a 2x12 cabinet I sometimes plug it into....

[​IMG]

11. SirJackdeFuzz

BEAUTIFUL :eek:

12. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Love my Marshalls, a JMP, a 1987x Plexi RI, a Vintage Modern 2266 head with the matching 4x12 cab with Greenbacks. Marshall tone is a large part of the 70's and 80's rock that I grew up with. I also love my Fender amps. Amps that started rock and roll.

13. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

To sell more amps, they had to play the Game the Mass-Retailers wanted.

Quality, innovation, attention to detail, all took a back-seat to PRICE.

You can feel it. Turn the knobs, they just feel cheap.
    You can't get anybody to work on the new stuff.
    It is designed to be thrown-out when it wears-out.

Sad.

14. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

If you go to the Mylespaul/Squawk Box website....the biggest thread is not on Marshall amps, but Phaez amps....I rest my case ;)

15. Stratburst

Stratburst Friend of Leo's

I loved my DSL100 but it was stupidly overpowered for the rooms I was playing so I sold it and bought a Mesa-Boogie TA-30 with the proceeds.

The big concern I have with Marshall amps is from my tech friends who tell me they're seeing a lot more Marshalls coming into the shops. Much like recent Gibson, Marshall's been cutting corners (even their professional grade stacks) and that's why they're spending more time in the shops and less time onstage.

I know one rehearsal studio manager who won't buy any Marshalls beyond the JCM2000 series, and is steadily replacing his Marshall amps with Oranges.

16. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

I use the Class 5 here which works for recording but I would like a 1974x reissue. I played one recently and that is the epitome of the Marshall sound at a reasonable volume in my opinion.

17. dmeeg05

dmeeg05 Tele-Meister

I beg to differ! Well... I like this one anyway!

[​IMG]

18. Prairie Dawg

Prairie Dawg Tele-Meister

Blackstar is not a boutique amp. It is a mass market product which uses flimsy pc boards, MDF cabinets, is built in Korea and is chock full of SMDs which make them almost unrepairable economically speaking. If the boyos from Marshall didn't like the way things were being done at Jim's house they sure didn't come up with an improved product.

they may sound OK but when they take a dump and they're out of warranty you're screwed, blued and tattooed. When they die most will end up as dumpster queens or coffee tables.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.