Marshall MG Opinions

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by SonicDiveBomb, Oct 12, 2014.

1. SonicDiveBomb

SonicDiveBomb Tele-Meister

Hello all,

I've heard a lot of mixed things about the Marshall MG series and I was curious as to what you fine folk here at TDPRI thought about them.

I've had a Marshall MG250DFX for about a year now. I'm currently looking to expand my horizons with a Vox AC15 but I most assuredly will be hanging on to my MG. The clean channel sounds great and the OD has "sweet spots". OD can sound horrid but with the correct adjustment of the contour it sounds awesome! Handles all my pedals really well, it doesn't ever sound weak. Reverb sounds good, onboard effects are limited but work great when you can use them. I got it for $200 and I haven't had any trouble with it, so I really quite like it!

2. SteveGangi

SteveGangi Tele-Holic

I have a 30 Watt, the MG30DFX. It sounds good to me, in the house. I have not gigged with it, so I can't say how well it would compete against a ham fisted drummer or a deaf guy with a full stack :p

It sounds good on the clean channel, and on the gain channel you have to pay attention to the amount of gain and the Contour control positioning. You also want the FDD switched on. With this amp, keep the gain low to moderate. ANY amp will be "angry bees in a tin can" if you are a Guitar Center "hero" who dimes everything.

The speaker (for home use) is good enough for me, but there are plenty of 10 inchers to choose from if a person decides to swap it out.

It has the usual suite of effects - reverb, delay, etc but you only get to choose one at a time. But we all have pedals anyway so it's a non-issue to me.

Is it as loud as other 30 Watt amps? I don't know. That has as much to do with cabinet construction, speaker efficiency and how the manufacturer measured/advertised it. Peak power? Average or RMS power? Measured at what frequency? Measured at what THD?

Wattage alone is not the whole story.

As for "teh toanz" or "teh br0otAlz", that is purely subjective.

For what it's worth, as a non-gigging person who pretty much stays on the clean channel, I like it.

3. SonicDiveBomb

awesome review. Glad you like it and it's "toanz" hahaha

4. SteveGangi

SteveGangi Tele-Holic

Thank you. The amp gets a lot of "hate" on the web, but that is usually from kids who were expecting the sound of a tube full stack ... an unrealistic and unfair comparison.

If I were to complain, it would be about two things... you can only select one effect at a time (mostly unimportant to me as I have plenty of pedals) and the fact that it does not have a "ext spkr" output (also a minor thing to me).

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I had a 100 watter, it was a great sounding, dependable, versatile, cheap amp.
    The won an Editor's Pick award in GP, when they were a new item.
    It was my main amp for awhile, till I became a Roland Cube fan.

6. SonicDiveBomb

Cool, glad I'm not the only one that likes these things. Did you have a DFX or one of the other many "FX" series?

Right now all I have is a wah, a fuzz, a distortion, and a Digitech whammy, so I definitely feel the only one effect at a time thing. Not a huge deal though. Gonna grab some more pedals in the future!

7. SteveGangi

SteveGangi Tele-Holic

Pick up a nice reverb... Malekko Spring Chicken, or Holy Grail etc. The surf guitar guys are the real experts on reverb

8. highwayman

highwayman Former Member

I saw a band last weekend and the guitarist was gigging a mg head and is sounded real good.

9. Special Tom

Special Tom Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have 2 MG30DFXs and 1 MG 30CFX. One of the 30Ds had some weird things going on similar to many others having the same type problems, but I liked the sound so much I found another used one at Amazon. The CFX is closed back and I don't like it as much. I run a 2 amp system with an ABY pedal into a Seymour Duncan 60watt Convertible amp and the 30DFX. I used the 30DFX for mostly leads

10. Octave Doctor

Octave Doctor Tele-Afflicted

I had one of the MG 10s for a while, sounded OK for what it was, but kinda noisy. I ended up running the line output into an RP-100 with the modeling and EQ turned off, just used the noise gate and reverb. Then into a bigger amp and it sounded much better.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.