*Marshall Mania*

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Carzee, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Tele-Afflicted

Sure, thank you! I graduated law school here long ago and never left. Great town for musicians.

gridlock likes this.
  2. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

I use to see some good bands at "Linda's (can't remember the name of the bar)" in downtown G-Ville.

3. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Tele-Afflicted

Hmm, maybe Lillian's? It's had cover bands there forever, one of my former law partner's bands used to play there very regularly, for many many years.

gridlock likes this.
  4. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Lillian's, that must be it.
    Go Gators!

5. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

Gotta post a pic of my JMP.
    [​IMG]

6. hiwatt357

hiwatt357 TDPRI Member

I thought I'd jump in on the love for the 50th Anniversary 1-watt Marshalls. As much as I dug the concept of the limited edition 1-watt amps for each decade, the prices of $799 for the combos and $749 for the heads was a huge turn-off. At the time, I had recently gotten a 1985 JCM800 2204 and a 1981 JCM800 2203 for $800.00 each. Paying basically the same price for a 1-watt amp just didn't make sense to me.

I happened upon this one at a Best Buy around the corner from my house. It was in the back of the store with all of the open-box items. I'll almost guarantee that someone bought it online, played through it, thought, "this isn't worth $800", and just returned it in-store. When I first saw it, it was discounted 15%, so it was $679.99. Better than $800, but still more than I was willing to pay. Since I passed by this Best Buy on my way home from work every day, I regularly stopped in to look at stuff. Maybe buy a CD or a Blu-Ray or something. And I'd always go back to the open-box area, and that amp was still back there. And still $679.99. About two months went by since the first time I saw it, and it was still back there. I asked a sales associate if they'd ever drop the price any lower, and she said that it would if it ends up going on clearance. So, maybe another month goes by, and I stop in, go to the open-box area, and lo, and behold...it's on clearance. Marked down to $449.99. Almost half price. I hesitated for a bit. I mean, $450 is still a lot for a 1-watt amp. But I also knew that if I didn't snag it, I'd probably regret it, so I grabbed the box and headed towards checkout.

Totally glad I got it. It's a very cool little amp. Does it sound just like either of my JCM800's? Well, no, but considering the size of the package, it's pretty damn close. :)

[​IMG]

Here's a crappy cell phone video of me plinking around on it with a Squier '51:

And our other guitarist actually ended up using it for the little lead thing at the beginning and before the 2nd verse of this song: http://blooddrunkrecords.bandcamp.com/track/iggy-too

gridlock likes this.
  7. cvansickle

cvansickle Tele-Holic

DSL40C, for the win!

[​IMG]

8. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

Looks like I forgot to post back to this thread after I got a custom 1 x 12 cab built in a slant front style to go with my JMP1-H. I put a 12" Celestion Heritage Greenback in it, which works a treat with the Marshall head (and also a Vox NT15G2 and an Orange Tiny Terror I also have).

Here are a few pictures:

Mini Stack.jpg

With my JV Squier Strat for scale:

Mini Stack & Strat.jpg

View from the rear/side:

Mini Stack from behind.jpg

9. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

I recenty bought two pretty cool KT66 Marshalls.

A Marshall Astoria Dual Combo and a Mashall 1962HW Bluesbreaker still in transit.
    I even ordered the Erik Collins grill cloth for Bluesbreaker to make it as athentic as possible.

IMG_2841.JPG IMG_2758.JPG Astoria.JPG

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  10. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Got the 1962HW Bluesbreaker, this thing is huge![​IMG][​IMG]

jaycoyoyo and savofenno like this.
  11. Il Duce

Il Duce Tele-Holic

Got myself a Avatar 45 head, basically a tweaked version of the JTM 45. Great bang for the buck for a handwired made in the USA amp, and did I mention the juicy tones? The fact that it has a awesome ppimv is just icing on the cake!

20161016_102132.jpg

12. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Very cool. Crank that Amp.

13. Greenmachine

Greenmachine Tele-Holic

I need a cool half stack ...

14. SlickRick63

SlickRick63 TDPRI Member

How arw you liking the DSL40C?
    I upgraded the speaker in mine to an Eminence Tonker. I dont know if it was the best choice in speakers, but it's very efficient and it can handle anything I've thrown at it thus far.

15. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

My '96 Marshall 1987x plexi, on a Lopo 2x12 cab with greenbacks… classic tone.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. rogb

rogb Tele-Afflicted

My self-built JCM800 2204 50w with PPIMV on the left of the avatar. Solid pine cab.
    Just recently all my buddies have gone Boss Katana crazy, "0.5w, you can play at home etc!" Well I switched on my 800, turned pre and master to 4 o'clock, right down with the PPIMV, and using the guitar volume and some picking dynamics, you can go from virtually clean rhythm to filthy lead at TV volume!
    There is still the ability to melt faces if needed.
    That is why I could never sell this amp, it really is versatile. Hell, you can even play warm and clean on the low input ( I have it taped up to avoid this, though:lol:)

gridlock, Il Duce and RLee77 like this.
  17. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

I just rejoined the club - I picked up a used JCM 2000 TSL 122 for $175!!!

[​IMG]

Brian Krashpad and gridlock like this.
  18. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Got a pretty rare Marshall this time.

It is a 1969 Marshall JMP, model 1930 "Popular" combo. The same vintage as the late '60's 1958, 1973, & 1974 18 watt combos and layout except this amp was originally only 10 watts.

My amp at some time was converted to an 18 watt circuit (basically a 1958 with 2x10 speakers).

The same control layout as the three original 18 watt combos. The amp has the original speakers inside and my tech tells me that the conversion looks professionally done and with period correct components.

I've owned two Marshall 1974x 18 watt combos and to my ears this amps sounds better than both of them.

IMG_3626.JPG
    IMG_3500.JPG
    IMG_3501.JPG
    IMG_3594.JPG

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    colchar and jaycoyoyo like this.
  19. TheRumRunner

TheRumRunner Tele-Afflicted

Gridlock, that is a VERY cool Marshall. I have a 1974X and love it to death but I imagine those 2x10's must be a part of the special mojo as I have a JMI AC10 with 2x10's and it rings.

gridlock likes this.
  20. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Thanks,
    Glad you like your 1974x. The perfect size Marshall.

The 2x10s in this amp sound pretty good. I think that they are all original.

I had an external speaker jack added and this amp, and it sounds so huge through my Bluesbreakers 2x12 Greenbacks. I may need two pick up an extension cab someday.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.