*Marshall Mania*

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Carzee, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

I have this amp...
    [​IMG]

It works great as a headphone amp, but I've got an itch for a project. So, I'm wondering a few things...namely, just how to go about building a cabinet for the little monster.

Any tips and/or cautionary notes?

2. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Returned the used 2006 1974x that I bought online. It was pretty ragged-out, hard to believe that someone would treat a rather expensive amp so poorly.

Just purchased a new 1974x and can't wait until it arrives.

3. SteveGangi

SteveGangi Tele-Holic

Just go to the nearest Home Depot, buy some 1/2 or 3/4 inch nice pine, and make your own. Use the amp itself as the template, and remember to Measure Twice Cut Once. I would just run a pencil around the sides of the amp tp get the dimensions.

4. gridlock

Hopefully picking up my brand new Marshall 1974x "mini Bluesbreaker" tomorrow.
    Getting anxious...

5. gridlock

Picked up my new 1974x yesterday. Still deciding if it's going to fit my low volume needs. A good Marshall based OD pedal is definitely needed for low bedroom volume levels.

Attached Files:

6. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Just got this back from repair, after a while without it....... not a big blues rock guy- but plugging a Tele into the O/D channel sure releases my inner Jimmy Page :lol:

7. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Does a Valvestate qualify one for membership (I cannot remember if I joined this club when I owned my Class 5)? If so, I am in as I grabbed an AVT20 for use as a secondary, upstairs amp yesterday for $80.

After playing it a little last night I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by how good it sounded, I really wasn't expecting that. I had read on various forums that they sound decent as home/bedroom amps but I was still pleasantly surprised.

The clean channel is really good and can provide the edge of breakup sounds that I want at reasonable volume levels. The overdrive channel has a bit too much gain for my liking (although I do admit that I have to play with it a bit more as I didn't use it much yesterday) but I've read over on the Marshall forums that putting a lower gain tube into this amp really tames the gain on the overdrive channel, which I will do.

Is it a Plexi or a JCM800? No, of course not and it would be silly to compare it to amps like those. But is it a really good home/bedroom amp that will enable me to get some great classic sounding Marshall tones at lower volume levels and without spending a fortune on an amp? Most definitely.

Although I've only had it for 24 hours now I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

8. gridlock

Colchar,
    Congrats and yes, your Valvestate qualifies. I picked up a little Marshall Lead/Reverb 12 a few months ago and was surprised how good that little SS amp sounded and low and higher volumes. Good hearing from you.
    Grid

Last edited: May 17, 2015
  9. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

How about a Lead 20? Great little home practice amp. Seems like a good speaker in there. Good "pushed clean" Marshall tones to be had. Has me thinking about a Class 5 for home. And a 2061x for gigs . . . Sheesh.

10. gridlock

Yes, the Lead 20 has a 12" Celestion speaker. I gave my Reverb 12 to my brother but if I find a Lead 20 at a good price, I'm buying it and keeping it.

11. onewhiteduck

onewhiteduck Tele-Meister

My favorite amp ever - '79 2104 JMP Combo. Between the high & low inputs, it does everything well at any volume for me. I've owned it a year now, and it's really the only amp I truly want/need anymore.

[​IMG]

It was modded in the past (I believe by Harry Kolbe at some point in it's long life), but a tech put everything back to stock before I bought it.

[​IMG]

The speakers are so sweet sounding, beautifully broken in.

[​IMG]

12. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I found this white JCM800 in a pawn shop holding the door open, of course it followed me home.

Attached Files:

13. gridlock

Picked up this mint Marshall DSL401 a month ago for cheap. Really surprised how good it sounds at lower volumes. Crazy, about 10 years ago I was ready to buy new DSL401 for about $1300 and I bought another amp instead.

Attached Files:

14. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mine wont necessarily be an actual Marshall, but a Marshall circuit. I building a GuitarAmplifierPCBs.com Plexi SE (Cascaded) amp. It'll be a Single Ended 5 watt JCM800 style amp powered by a 6V6GC.

Here's where it's at so far:

[​IMG]

It already has a speaker cab, the homemade 1 X 10" cab with a Weber British Series 10V speaker, seen in the picture above.

and the PCB:

[​IMG]

I do see another Plexi SE project, a Plexi/JTM but a 10 watt version powered by a single EL34. I have a 2 x 12" cab loaded with a GreenBack & Green Beret waiting on that project.

15. gridlock

Cool Jack, like to see your amp once complete.

16. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It is originally supposed to be built from an Epiphone Valve Jr and I'm using a Watts blank replacement chassis, but I'll be doing a few minor mods. I'll have to drill the chassis, wire everything up, get my own (bigger, better) transformers and, as in my previous post, build my own cabinet.

17. hiwatt357

hiwatt357 TDPRI Member

1981 JCM 800 2203 on top. 1986 JCM 800 2204 on the bottom. Cab is a 90's Park/Marshall G412B with custom 16-ohm Eminence Tonespotters.

[​IMG]

18. eichaan

eichaan Tele-Holic

Here's mine. It is a Fifty Split Reverb from 1987. Sounds good loud and soft. Build in overdrive is not very versatile, but the clean is luscious and the just about to breakup tone is what I like anyway.

[​IMG]

19. gridlock

Very cool amp. Congrats.

20. Riffraff12571

Riffraff12571 Tele-Holic

I've had a '93 1959SLP reissue and a 2266 Vintage Modern with the 425A cab. The VM was actually my favorite because it was the most usable although the Plexi was amazing with a Les Paul and a SD1 set clean with it's volume up smacking the front end.

The VM needed nothing, just plug in and rock. This was done with a stock Ibanez RG520QSB.

Damn do I miss this amp. :cry:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.