1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Marshall Lead 12

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by MaskedRider, Jan 29, 2012.

1. MaskedRider

MaskedRider Tele-Afflicted

I got this amp for $60. It's a nice little solid state Marshall made in England. Can I use it like a distortion pedal to drive another amp?

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. cmm71

cmm71 Tele-Meister

I had one of those once, nice little amp. I wouldn't have any thoughts on going into another amp with it, but I'd be careful pumping significant amount of power into another amp's instrument input.

...and nice Rickenbacker too.

3. ASC67

ASC67 Friend of Leo's

If it has a line out you could.

4. MaskedRider

MaskedRider Tele-Afflicted

Thanks guys! Yes it is has a line out on the front.

5. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Yea. line out.
    A lot of solid states had good crunch, and were used as a pre for studio to amp or other
    (Ie Scholz orig rockman, etc)

6. trailboss

trailboss Tele-Meister

I used to have one of the 30 watt versions, with a single 12. Gigged A TON with it, and a pedal board in front. Set it on a table, mike it up, and you're good to go. FWIW, the cabinet finally disintegrated, but I still have the "head" unit in a generic box and use it for a backup. Hell, I've even used the head as a backup in my bass rig :)

7. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

That socket on the front is a headphone out (which should kill the output to the speaker) and may well be more than line level, which itself may be too much for a guitar amp input. By rights it should go into a line-in or FX-return. Try it and see, start with low output,. If you guitar amp objects with gross noises then stop before you do damage.

8. Robster

Robster Tele-Afflicted

I have owned a couple of these but do not have one now. Notice your headphone jack...
    It is labeled Line out/HP. If you insert a cord to the first click(I think) you have a line out you can run to another amp, if you insert it all the way you have headphone output.
    (I may have that backwards) Better see if you can locate an owners manual online or thru Marshall to make sure how to hook it up.
    Rob

9. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

That is a GREAT-sounding little amp! Good find for $60. I have a Reverb 12 but never thought to try the line out...I'm going to give it a try and see what happens.

10. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

They're cool, well built little amps and record well. Mine was stolen several years ago. Pretty much a JCM 800 sound in a small box. I used mine several times as a drive unit in front of bigger amps. I'm pretty sure Billy Gibbons used those at one time or another! I seem to remember seeing pics of a rack where someone had Lead 12s mounted as preamps.

11. Warm Gums

Warm Gums Friend of Leo's

I believe it's the other way round, I distinctly remember thinking mine was broken BITD when I plugged headphones in all the way, and got nothing....
    Lol apparently it confused others as the later production has separate jacks, the manual is online somwhere;it looks like it was made with a typewriter and a Flair pen as I recall. It's the manual for all the Marshals in production in the mid 80s..not a model specific one.
    The little micro stack heads were often used as preamps, and indeed this is probably the best use for these amps as the stock speaker is pretty bright sounding, and the box is so small that a speaker upgrade dosent really help much, I had a couple of different 10's in mine and never could notice a difference, bummer ,as the construction is top notch (same as the big JCM 800s..) mine even came with a cover(looked like shower curtian material and inspection sheet, and the cabnet was signed!
    These days I have one of the little Korean made Parks from the late 90s that I use when I need A Marshall fix....another real sleeper.

12. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

It will be a stereo plug headphone jack except both channels are the same i.e. mono. You can use a stereo headphone jack or a standard mono jack, the output will be the same. Half-in only connects ring and sleeve. With a mono jack the ring is shorted to the sleeve (through a resistor load). Problem is the output will be compromised, it tries to be both headphone level and line level. Line level produces very quiet headphones whereas proper headphone level (~55ohm) can over-power a line input.

13. Dave_O

Dave_O Friend of Leo's

I think that was Trevor Rabin when he was in "Owner of a Lonely Heart" era Yes.

14. romiso

romiso Tele-Meister

My first amp! I remember being so proud of the fact that I had an amp with a Celestion speaker in it! Just like all those guys in Guitar for the Practicing Musician.

To my 14-year old ears, it was a pretty great sounding amp. My parents liked the headphone jack a lot :)

15. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

Cool - will look into it. He's an awesome guitarist!

16. bluesmain

bluesmain TDPRI Member

marshall lead 12 combo..some have two jacks on the right some have one..mine has none

mine must be really old
    can't find a pic of another like mine
    no jack on the right
    not one
    not two
    zero
    love this amp for my bedroom
    aramat modded ts 10 in front
    strats teles others
    need to hear from a guru

17. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

One could build a line off of the speaker leads that will be accepted by the input of another amp....Voila! AS The Rev Says.....FUZZ BOX!!!! IT takes a couple of resistors, some wire and a 1/4" jack.

18. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

19. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire

Never mind

20. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire

Never mind, didn't work.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.