Marshall JMP Master Lead series owners' club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by rze99, Oct 2, 2019.

1. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

From the late '70s this amp series ruled them all on the rock stages.

The sound of these amps is the Marshall sound many grew up with. You can put any guitar into one of these without pedals and instantly sound like AC/DC, Thin Lizzy... the names go on forever from that canon. You can also dial the gain back use the output stage and sound warmer and cleaner. Stick a Strat in with lower gain settings and you get wonderful fat warm Hendrix tones.

Mine is a 1979 Marshall JMP 50W 2204 Master Lead MkII Model serial number S/A10132L. I acquired mine back in 1981 from a near neighbour friend who was quitting playing. I paid £200 for the "Marshall stack" from him. I still own it, albeit I split the 4x12 cab loaded with Celestion greens into to 2x12s for flexibility. HAPPY 40th Birthday, dear, loyal friend.

This stack was my only rig for about 20 years. I acquired guitars and pedals but didn't need any amps. This did everything from quiet clean to super heavy. It still does.

It's fallen from the back of vans, down stairs... all the old cliches. It really is the toughest thing.. just like a Tele. The logo is wrong on mine because when the original broke off this is all my local music shop (pre-internet) could source.

My amp tech described it as "special" and "glorious". He says mine has an very low voltage reading which "the best ones have" and why mine sounds so vintage. Assume he knows. It had bright cap work done to it way back when to allow it to be warm and round at the lowest of volumes. It's whisper quiet on idle and can sound like Concorde when dialled up. it's a total monster.

Well done Marshall! or should I say Marsnall.

Here's mine and a little press article link.

Now post yours!

https://www.guitarplayer.com/gear/classic-gear-the-1979-marshall-jmp502204-master-model

IMG_3306.JPG

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    Nelg, Flaneur and bftfender like this.
  2. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've got one (a '79), but it's in storage. Looks just like yours, oddly enough. :)

- D

rze99 likes this.
  3. rze99

Cool... maybe pop down to the depot and pull it out for some grins?

StrangerNY likes this.
  4. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Best amp EVER!!!

I have a ‘79 50 watt JMP. It’s by me right now.

CAF7C031-7731-4A67-82E6-27401CBBBE8B.jpeg

rze99 likes this.
  5. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

have 1987 made 2204 ppimv

rze99 likes this.
  6. StrangerNY

I'm heading out to a ball game shortly, I'll pop in an take some shots after the game.

- D

7. rze99

Nearby and accessible storage is good. Enjoy. I just had my Les Paul R4 P90s through mine. Raw and delicious.

StrangerNY likes this.
  8. rze99

Simply splendid, sir. There's nothing that doesn't sound right through these.

9. StrangerNY

Here ya go.

[​IMG]

My favorite amp. I don't use it much at all any more, but when I do - what a tone.

This amp sounds like what I'm constantly fighting to make my modeling board sound like.

- D

bftfender and rze99 like this.
  10. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

I wish I were equipped to be a member of this club. Nice amps, guys! I like how Phil X sounds through his trashed-out JMP head...

rze99 likes this.
  11. rze99

Sweet. Shame she’s stuck in storage.

Beasts, these amps.

I have a Yamaha TH100hd head and I’m going to be trying to get it to make the sound of this amp. I’ll be testing side by side.

I don’t use high gain sounds at all now using mostly light crunch settings, but it is fun to wind it up to its richer settings and rock out like I did as a teen.

StrangerNY likes this.
  12. nocastermike

nocastermike Tele-Meister

This is my 1978 half stack. A very versatile rig. These heads are impressive,but those original cabs with either green or black back speakers from that era are a huge part of the warm thick sound.

Attached Files:

13. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I put a push pull pot on the pre-amp control of my 50w master series to switch cap values for single coils and humbucker when used at half gain. Adds that final bit of perfection to a great design for me. Although it’s dimed at the moment and that cap does little like that.

Other than that and it’s first full recap last year, it’s remained relatively unmolested.

4C849553-5A24-4A99-B5BB-D305FEC2FA14.jpeg

rze99 likes this.
  14. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Sold these two JMP’s within the past two years. Both original and the amp below was basically mint.

D88208FD-AC08-4051-9765-979D395CF323.jpeg 97F142AC-31D5-4B89-97B4-E2540E051D55.jpeg

bftfender, nocastermike and rze99 like this.
  15. rze99

I'll take those amps any time - nice!
    Shame you sold the JMPs.
    I try not to sell the stuff I love, but the time is coming when I'll have to. Tough decisions ahead.

gridlock likes this.
  16. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

I did have a hard time letting them go, but my two handwired Marshall’s helped ease the pain.

Actually my Marshall Astoria Classic covers the JMP tone in a more manageable package and the KT66’s in the Astoria give me my favorite Marshall tone. I owned the Astoria and the 79 JMP at the same time. I found I like the Astoria’s tone just a little better.

I’ve owned at least 8-10 Marshall JMPs over the years, and they are great amps.

2676BFF9-7A00-4C47-8E19-FAF912C812C2.jpeg 3C275B4F-2E49-40C4-9220-E4CFD2ECD6B1.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    bftfender, nocastermike and rze99 like this.
  17. rze99

Cool.

I’ve never tried the Astoria.

In fact I’ve rarely played through any other Marshalls, having the one I have. Essentially too happy with it to worry.

I did once do a recording session and travelled with Just my strat and effects board. I was surprised and delighted that the main studio amp was an JMP 50 combo 2 by 12 It had been messed with to be low gain or something. It was different. But when I stuck the strat through it with a micro amp in front of it and some compressor it was sublime. From then on I always wanted a combo too.

gridlock likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.