1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Marshall JMP 1977 top and cab

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by willyt88, Mar 17, 2020.

1. willyt88

willyt88 NEW MEMBER!

2. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

If you've seen the news in the last week or so, you might imagine the used gear market is apt to be a bit soft at the moment. Unless you're in dire need of cash now, you'll probably get more for it if you wait a couple months.

Also, you'll definitely get more for it if you take it to an amp tech and have them give it some PM- an amp this old that hasn't been touched in a decade will most likely need some routine service like new filter caps.

You might also consider taking trades- a lot of people either don't have or don't want to part with liquid cash, but you might get some nice trade offers (or trade +cash).

Why are you looking to sell? More amp than you need, or just not your style?

radiocaster and Wally like this.
  3. brokenbones

brokenbones Tele-Holic

What is the Model number? I can look it up.

*edit
    If it's the JMP 2203, the head is valued at $1200-$1600. Details about the cabinet would help too.

4. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

Very cool amp. Why has it been sitting for 10 years?

5. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

This thread was devised to tease me and make me whimper a little bit.

That is one (1) cool amp.

6. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

sold my JMP head in good condition for $850 about 8 months ago . . .

7. edwardkoipond

edwardkoipond TDPRI Member

I concur with brokenbones. If it's in good working condition, my gut pricing for Chicago market says:

$1000-$1400 if it's a 2204
    $1200-$1600 if it's a 2203

If speaker cab has original speakers, something around $600 to $800 with G12-65s
    More if it has blackbacks.

8. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

$1500 for the head in nice condition and working.

$700 for the cab with original speakers.

I’m a Marshall guy. These prices were last month prices. It is probably not a good time to sell. I imagine the prices will be dropping fast for vintage gear, with the current pandemic.

Maybe hold the amp and cab for another 6 months to a year if you can. If not, try sell quickly, in case things get any worse,

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    Wally likes this.
  9. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

It's what's on the inside that counts. A lot of old Marshalls got modified, most badly. And you never know what's in the cab for speakers until you look, with almost no exeptions replacement speakers will lower the cabs value.

gridlock and Wally like this.
  10. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Please send to me ASAP for...... evaluation. It might take a few years. But I promise a full an accurate report on it when I'm.... finished.

edwardkoipond and BobbyZ like this.
  11. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Tried something similar with a guy trying to figure out what his dad's JTM 50 tremelo is worth. I'm no vintage Marshall expert but near as I could tell it's from 1968 or so.
    Told him I'd do a grand for the head and cab just to save him the trouble of dealing with the smelly old thing. :)

12. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Oh I didn't think of offering any money. I just want to play, er, evaluate it.

Seriously, though, I let a same vintage nonMV JMP 50w and similar cab go years ago cuz I was poor and wasn't using it. It was the most glorious sounding amp I ever had. I still don't have any need for it.

BUT, OP's is a master volume. :twisted:So it's "quieter". But I can't be for certain until I take at least a couple of years to evaluate it.

BobbyZ likes this.
  13. dan40

dan40 Friend of Leo's

Unless you have already done so, you may want to have a tech bring the amp's voltage up slowly to avoid any potential damage to the transformers. If the filter caps are original and the the amp has not been powered up in ten years, there is a real possibility that damage could occur. Bringing the voltage up slowly would allow a potential issue to be caught before major damage occurs to the transformers.

rze99 likes this.
  14. roycaster

roycaster Tele-Holic

What it is worth, what you can ask for it, and what you’ll get for it are going to be 3 different numbers. Museum pieces are at the top of the food chain, amps that have been gigged in smoke filled clubs, had beer spilled on them, and bounced around the back vans take longer to sell and bring less…

BobbyZ likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.