1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Marshall Jackhammer thumbs up

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by trxx, Feb 26, 2021.

1. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

I'm liking it in front of my Super Reverb for getting into Marshall territory. And that cheap ass Candy Floss pedal sounds good with it too for loosening things up. The Jackhammer alone gets in JCM800 territory and with the Candy Floss more like JTM45 territory.

The thing feels like a brick. The knobs are shiny chrome though, and it can be hard to see the position. It's going to take some fiddling to get used to the mid knobs but they seem effective in shaping things.

uriah1 likes this.
  2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

yep great MIAB pedal and it's do all kinds of different flavors or Marshall, too .
    The shiny nuts on the jacks can pretty easily unscrew themselves.
    Awesome sounds though.

One of the best-kept secrets in the pedal universe

3. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

I'm surprised that it does overdrive so well and also does high gain well. Every mention of this pedal cited the distortion mode sucking, but I really don't understand why it catches so much flack. The distortion mode sounds just as good as the overdrive mode to my ears. This pedal essentially does clean boost to high gain, all well to my ears. The overdrive mode is not like a tubescreamer type with a clean component and rolled off lows and highs. It's full range but with a Marshall voicing. The distortion mode is like a way better DS-1 with a Marshall voicing.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  4. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

Twisting the knobs every which way, this thing has alot of usable sound in it. Clean, edge of breakup, overdrive, mid gain, heavy gain. The people who complained about the distortion mode didn't twist the knobs enough. If you leave the knobs up the middle it sounds scooped in distortion mode. If you bring down (way down) the contour and freq mid knobs, it gets into the same territory as the overdrive mode but with tons of gain on tap. Go from there and remove mids if you like.

5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I've never tried that one but I have the Grandma and Grandpa.

6. telemnemonics

7. Sleepyscholar

Sleepyscholar Tele-Meister

I have both a Shredmaster and a Jackhammer, and I have to confess that I see it more as father-and-son relationship. The OD side of the Jackhammer is pretty close to the Shredmaster -- not quite as good, but close. The distortion side strikes out on its own.

telemnemonics likes this.
  8. telemnemonics

Interesting, Marshall considering something like the Shredmaster an OD, not that it's that distorted but times sure do change!

Sleepyscholar likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.