Marshall DSL40 Or a Blackstar HT 40?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by The Angry Possum, Apr 11, 2021.

1. The Angry Possum

The Angry Possum Tele-Holic

Im on the verge of getting one of these amps new very shortly, i have been on forums and youtube sites, and i'm leaning towards the Blackstar HT 40, can anyone sway me to purchase the Marshall DSL40 or some other similar tube amp, I'm all ears pun intended. This video below swayed me.

StevesBoogie likes this.
  2. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

It depends on what you’re after. I would choose the Marshall. Because I’m a “cleans first” player.

I really like the ISF control for the dirts on the Blackstar, but I really dislike the clean channel. The single tone control just doesn’t make it workable for me.

68reissue and The Angry Possum like this.
  3. TeleJ717

TeleJ717 TDPRI Member

Marshall. Never heard a Blackstar that didn’t sound like total garbage.

Mad Kiwi and The Angry Possum like this.
  4. The Angry Possum

Do you have the marshall?

Jakedog likes this.
  5. The Angry Possum

Have you listened to the video i posted? I did with earphones on, sounds amazing.

6. TeleJ717

TeleJ717 TDPRI Member

Nope. I’ve played through that actual amp in real life.

hepular likes this.
  7. RobRiggs

RobRiggs Tele-Holic

I don’t gig, but I’ve had a DSL40C for a few years and it’s a great sounding, reliable amp. Has a tone that I haven’t been able to get from other amps. I’ve heard good things about Blackstar too.

7171551, Jakedog and The Angry Possum like this.
  8. The Angry Possum

Which amp?

9. The Angry Possum

Yes thats where im at now, either or.

10. TeleJ717

TeleJ717 TDPRI Member

The HT40. Plus a lot of their other amps. I wanted to like them when they first came out because they were less expensive than most other amps with similar features, but they sounded bad to me. Now they are the same price as most other amps and more in some cases and they still sound bad.

Go find that amp and a DSL side by side somewhere, there will be no question which amp to buy.

The Angry Possum likes this.
  11. The Angry Possum

Thanks, this is the feedback/input i want to know. Perhaps i should play both side by side, if possible, at a guitar center etc.

Jakedog likes this.
  12. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

I have an older version HT40 Club with EL34 power tubes. The functionality, otherwise, looks the same except mine doesn't have a 40w/4w switch (I put a cheap attenuator on mine). It is a very versatile and powerful amp. I suspect the MkII would be even better--with whatever upgrades were gained over the years.

I have enough amps banging around here, I will likely never own a Marshall.

The Angry Possum likes this.
  13. Jakedog

I don’t have the Marshall in question. I have *a* Marshall, and I have had dozens. I have tried the newish DSL40 (I think it’s the DSL40 CR? Or RC?) and found it to be a pretty cool amp.

It’s also smaller, if that matters. The HT40 I tried was HUGE. Just ridiculously large for a 1x12 amp.

Edit: I just looked them up and they’re about the same size. The Marshall is actually a hair larger. They must’ve changed the cab. Or maybe I was thinking of the 60 watt Blackstar.

The Angry Possum and stormsedge like this.
  14. 7171551

7171551 Tele-Afflicted

I don't dislike Blackstar products (I've had two Artisans previously) but I own a DSL40CR and it's quite possibly the best "bang for buck" and best "all rounder" amp you can buy. But obviously YMMV:cool:

The Angry Possum and RobRiggs like this.
  15. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Just back from band rehearsals and recording... used my Marshall DSL40CR.. it has the nicer bright edge of old school marshall. The crunch channel is really great. Classic dirt tones with any guitar.

i find Blackstars a bit muted or lacking some presence but I’ve not played every model.

The 6 button switch and the two master volumes with a DSL40CR def. make it a killer live amp.. 4 channels and a lead level boost all stock.

I agree with the many others who say it is one of the best value gigging amps you can get, esp of you like to drive the dirt from the guitar volume.. the brightness helps.

16. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

That video you shared is quite excellent, really covered all the bases on the Blackstar. I also am looking so strongly at the DSL40. The only negative thing I have seen in reviews is that some folks are not hot on the reverb on the DSL40. But that native crunch on the Marshall is so stellar, it's really hard to ignore.

I have to admit that Blackstar is capable of some pretty dang good sounds, and do I dare say it could be more versatile? Good luck!

marshman and The Angry Possum like this.
  17. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Yep. The reverb is not swimmingly deep on the DSL but it has an fx loop.

18. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

The clean channel on the Blackstar in the video has bass and treble controls

19. Jakedog

Must be a new version. That would absolutely be a huge improvement over the ones I tried out. Although personally I’m highly unlikely to ever buy an amp without a mid control, at least it seems like the clean channel isn’t just an afterthought now.

20. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Holic

My buddy just sold his Blackstar. He played that thing for 10 years. Last jam he showed up with a top-boost AC30. He said he aint missin the Blackstar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.