Marshall dsl20br advice.

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by roachcore, Feb 25, 2020.

1. roachcore

roachcore TDPRI Member

So I’m waiting on delivery of the Marshall dsl20hr and a 4x12 cab from Sweetwater and I don’t know how I didn’t realize it ahead of time but there is no master volume control on this head. Is there anyone who can tell me what kind of sound I’ll get with the gain levels turned up and the channel volume turned down. I was really hoping to get some good tones out of this thing without having to run pedals or blow the family out of the house.

2. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

Each channel has its own master, so you can set the gain where you like and then set the channel volume. You can crank the gain and have the volume very low, its part of what it was designed for. Whether that is "good" tone is an individual thing, but experiment and i think you will find great tones in there. They are cool amps!

3. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

... each channel has a volume and a gain. Set them to taste. Am I missing something?

4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

There's no global master for the whole amp.but as Ask and Art have said each channel has its own - which is regarded as optimal as it lets you set your clean and dirt to within sight of each other.

5. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

@roachcore
    All the above comments are absolutely correct, to a point! Like most other amps of the DSL Series, there is a "Whole Amp Type Of Tone" achieved in the preamp, so that the power amp is not really intended as part of the tone/distortion/overdrive character of the amp. The power amp section is simply intended to "amplify!" On the other hand, the DSL20 is unique in that the power amp section can really add great character to the sound, when you get it cookin' even though it still sounds good before that happens. I own both a DSL4CR and a DSL20CR and have compared them using the same '72 vintage 1960B , 4x12 cabinet. I vastly prefer the DSL20 with channel volumes cranked (with gains set to taste) and using a great attenuator to either DSL40 with Master and/or Channels turned down or DSL20 with channels turned down. As a combo loaded with a Creamback, I consider the DSL20CR to be the ultimate Deluxe Reverb Slayer! Of course there is also the half power switch setting, which can help, but causes the amp to be a tiny bit lackluster. The DSL40 is gonna get sold!

I guess what I'm getting at is that the DSL20 has the best sounding "power amp" overdrive/distortion of all the amps in the series! And oh yeah, here's a link to a great (I think its the best out there), easy and cheap to build attenuator:

http://www.marshallforum.com/threads/simple-attenuators-design-and-testing.98285/

Enjoy Your "Soon To Be" NAD!
    Gene

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.