1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Marshall Amp Volume Increases by itself.

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by The Angry Possum, Apr 11, 2021.

1. The Angry Possum

The Angry Possum Tele-Holic

I'm looking at purchasing a used Marshall DSL40 Combo amp. The owner says the volume will increase by itself. Does it sound like a no no to buy because if this. Any Marshall experts here?

2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Any undiagnosed issue is a good reason not to buy unless it's very cheap. You can factor into the price a tech bill to fix it.

You may be able to buy a healthy one for that.

northernguitar likes this.
  3. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Almost certainly a tube issue, but it's always a gamble buying things with issues. It could be something deeper, and more costly.

radiocaster likes this.
  4. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Warning : Speculation ahead

'The volume increases on its own' could also mean 'I set the volume up high because the amp is quite quiet at first, but as it gets warm, the volume rises to match the set level'

This is indicative of a few things. If the increase is quite abrupt, it may be a solder joint that has dried and cracked. The heat allows the joint to conduct properly, and you get the full sound. If it is gradual, it may be the heaters on a valve being starved of current, then as things settle down, the current comes good and the heater helps the release of tone electrons.
    It may be a temperature sensitive component. These can be sods to track down. Freezer spray and a controllable heat gun are your friend here. It may just be a dicky valve.

Factor in tech time, and then go buy one that isn't playing up unless you are handy with a meter and iron, in which case, suck your teeth, make clucking noises, then lowball. Buying a faulty amp to fix up may be a fun hobby ( I do it for something to do and to learn new things ) but it'll never make a profit of any meaningful scale, and PCB amps can be a pain in the nethers.

Wally and EugeneWeemich like this.
  5. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Afflicted

Didn't Jim design them to do that?

6. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Unless the seller is 'giving' it away, I'd avoid if you just want something to rock out on with no worries.

7. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

no, rock players were engineered to do that by turning the volume knob clockwise.

8. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Holic

Not saying don't buy it but if you have lots of spare cash go for it.
    If it is the DSP board, obsolete!
    Second hand on fleabay or a dealership may have one stashed away.
    Screenshot 2021-04-12 at 22.01.30.png

Wally likes this.
  9. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

10. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Holic

I replace the faulty components but many cannot as they have no access to an infra red heating and rework station.
    The problem comes when the eprom has failed and there is no programmed replacement.

Wally likes this.
  11. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

Sounds like the Marshall amp used by the other guitarist in my band. Claims she has not changed the volume on her guitar or amp, but we can clearly hear different.

12. tomnardozza

tomnardozza Tele-Meister

I'd pass. I had the same amp, worked when it wanted and it was brand new. Turned out to be a number of cold solder joints. Sounded good when it worked, though ;)

13. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

sounds like somebody modded that to automatically do what Marshall players do anyway:)

Burning Fingers likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.