Marshall 50w - Bright Cap

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by itsGiusto, Sep 13, 2019 at 3:48 PM.

1. itsGiusto

itsGiusto Tele-Meister

I'm building a plexi, not sure which bright cap value to use, if any. I expect I'll end up making it switchable, either between two values, or one value and no-cap. I know that the values Marshall used varied quite a bit over the years.

Did Marshall always feature bright caps on their bright channel, or did they sometimes leave it off? Any suggestions on which value to use, or where I can hear what different values sound like?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019 at 4:53 PM
  2. dan40

dan40 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

4700pf was a value frequently used on the "lead" circuits. The large value cap caused the volume on the bright channel to ramp up extremely quick from 1 to 2 and helped the amp transition into dirt very quickly. Many of the earlier amps used a smaller 500pf which allowed only the highest of frequencies to past around the volume pot. Many builders will drop the value down to 100-200pf to add a bit of extra sparkle at lower volumes.

3. dan40

dan40 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

This excellent data base at the Marstran website has a bunch of info on various older models. Click on the "Marshall pictorial page" link at the top of the page for pics and other data.

http://www.marstran.com/Historic Data Base.htm

itsGiusto likes this.
  4. itsGiusto

itsGiusto Tele-Meister

That site's incredible!!

dan40 likes this.
  5. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

If I can find my old schematic I’ll let you know what I settled on... it was WAY smaller than the stock 4700pf. Best way to find your own preference is to just sub in a bunch of values from as low as 50pf to the original 4700pf.
    At the high end it will be shrill and fizzy; if you go too low it will sound a bit lifeless and bland.

cousinpaul likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.