Marsh Buffalo Amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by dinomike77, Jun 14, 2019.

1. dinomike77

dinomike77 Tele-Meister

Seems like Brown Fender amps are having a moment around the boards lately. Being a habitual lurker, GAS is coming on strong. I’ve been looking at the Buffalo from Marsh Amps. Basically, it’s a brown Princeton with reverb and a master volume for way less than the Fender Stapleton.

Unfortunately, there’s just not any thorough reviews or decently recorded demos of this particular amp. I’ve read everything that Google has to offer about Marsh amps in general, everything from people claiming they are Mojo kits with poor workmanship to posts from Mike Marsh himself refuting such claims. For every satisfied customer, there seems to be one that claims poor customer service.

Anyway, I just wanted to start a fresh thread to see if we can get any more concrete experiences with either this amp specifically or Marsh in general. It seems hard to believe that with all the love that brown face amps are getting right now that someone here hasn’t looked into Marsh’s offerings. The price seems great, but his 25% re-stock is pretty rough.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  2. dinomike77

dinomike77 Tele-Meister

Come on! There’s a whole thread that starts out asking about Brownface reissues and mentions the idea of a Brownface Princeton with reverb and a 12” speaker. That thread has like 150 responses and *nobody* has anything to contribute on an amp that has *exactly* these features on a thread I started three days ago? Someone out there has to either be interested or have experience with the Marsh Buffalo. I could go either way if someone would just give me a solid nudge.

3. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

No experience with this Marsh amp. You can still buy a vintage brown face amp for around $2000. That’s the way I would go.

Junior Little likes this.
  4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Forget about all that - they make a 5G9 big box Tremolux clone for $1200 !

Hmmmmm...o_O

Erdowonge likes this.
  5. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

To be fair, the majority of those responses center around the definition of sampling and the history of hip-hop.

I'm not familiar with Marsh, but I would think adding reverb might alter the tone considerably, at least considering the difference in the normal channel and reverb channel on a blackface amp. Maybe that'd be a good thing for some people, but personally I get along fine without onboard reverb. I have a 6G2, a 6G3 and (until recently) had a 6G4. I used digital reverb or delay when I had to have it, but those amps really kinda weaned me off reverb a little.

Looking at vintage prices, if you're patient and don't have to have a museum piece, you could probably swing an original for close to the cost of some of the clones, certainly for the cost of the Stapleton.

6. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

What about the Allen Brown Sugar as an option?
    Regarding your lack of responses, maybe you should have included "Options to Fender Brownface" or something similar in your thread title

Luthier Vandros likes this.
  7. dinomike77

dinomike77 Tele-Meister

Thanks for the suggestions. The Allen Sweet Spot would be the upper end of my range and it doesn’t have a master volume like the Buffalo. But certainly a great looking amp with nearly unanimous praise. Vintage might be an option if I’m patient, I guess. I was just surprised by the lack of discussion about the Marsh given its feature set and price. Thanks again for the help!

8. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

I’ve read a few posts one Marsh but no first hand experience. Their name suggest “Marshall” maybe that is detrimental to their notoriety for producing Fender or Vox based clone amps.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.