1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Mars Landing in 30ish Days

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by stormsedge, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Did someone not let you play with the stomp rocket at school? :)

There are plenty of careers and exciting lives in many areas for many people in our science endeavours... there are plenty of things we spend far more on that i find justifiably ridiculous, like nuclear weapons.

Killing the space industry and all its potential won’t fix earth’s issues. We only really know the details of earth’s situation because of our work in space observing it.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  2. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

No and full disclosure, I love Dr. Who. I just have a healthy level of skepticism when it comes to NASA, and really any government-sponsored science in general. I think it's a nice contrast to the unblinking fanboy attitude most have toward our space agency.

external-content.duckduckgo.gif

Killing the space program would help fund some of earth's problems, although that's a non sequitur since no one is actually "killing" it. The second part of that is just not factually accurate. We didn't have to go to space to learn the earth is round, you know that, right?

And I would suggest to you and anyone who thinks like you that a better way to kill the potential of something is to set low expectations. And that, to me, is the dangerous and corrosive cost of cheerleading for NASA. Food for thought.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  3. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

4. Rockhead

Rockhead Tele-Meister

I hope they name it Discovery One!

5. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

oh... oh... I can hardly wait ..oh .. the anticipation ... oh ... oh ... oh...
    what else could we be attending to, hmmmm let's see...... hmmmm.
    oh , said jane , oh said dick, see spot jump, jump spot jump,
    Dick and jane and spot want to fly around in space ruff ruff ruff barked spot
    Spot wants to go to space with dick and jane

the dick and jane primers were hw my generation in california learned to read in reading circles reading dick and jane and spot.

stoat-9small.jpg

6. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

I know quite a few folks who work at NASA in various capacities. Since this is a music-oriented forum, it is ironic that I was in a band with two of them: one being our drummer and the other being our lead singer/rhythm guitarist. The folks I know there are some of the most intelligent and dedicated people you could ever meet.

Not surprisingly, the technology pay-offs from that level of talent have been off the charts. Digital technology made huge advances courtesy of NASA's commitment to improving it for the Mariner space probes to Venus and Mars in the 1960s. NASA didn't invent digital, but they made it a hell of a lot better enabling it to advance to the point where it is everywhere today. Hydrogen fuel cells that generate electricity and whose exhaust is water were crucial to manned space flight. They are now being looked to as viable clean energy alternatives. Satellite imagery documenting geologic, climatologic and atmospheric changes provide invaluable data we use every day.

Unfortunately, like every governmental agency, NASA has to compromise objectives left and right and still come up with missions that appease the politcal and budgetary powers that be, and do so while still targeting science ends. But whether NASA finds E.T., lands us on Mars or just keeps exploring, I'm betting we'll continue to see more benefits make their ways down to us all.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.