1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Mars Landing in 30ish Days

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by stormsedge, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

then just quote Arlo Guthrie, from Alice's Restaurant:

He said "Kid
    We found your name on an envelope
    At the bottom of a half a ton of garbage and
    Just wanted to know if you had any information about it"
    And I said "Yes sir, Officer Obie
    I cannot tell a lie
    I put that envelope under that garbage"

2. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Holic

My question is "for what"? We can never realistically mine Mars, even if there was something extraordinary there that we wanted.

Perhaps if our investigation of physics works out and we can start bending time-space, we could do something useful with another planet. Not until then... and sending probes - interesting as it is - isn't going to get there. But the bottom line is that we'd be better off putting the money into physics.

JuneauMike likes this.
  3. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Holic

A lot of technological advances have come from the space program. Space missions are "putting money into Physics". I'm fine with the cost. The govt sure wastes a lot more money on dumber things (ie. gender studies in Pakistan).

4. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

Yes but you are wasting money on the same thing you have been doing all along, without the expectation of different results. You will have a fresh Mars Rover sending back exactly the same data that the old Mars Rover was sending back. It doesn't move the ball downfield in any way. Nor is that data very useful beyond satisfying a curiosity we once had about the red planet.

5. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Those folks on Mars might just send that whole rover back to us someday - then what ?

stormsedge likes this.
  6. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I think I missed my chance to be on this one. I’ve been twice before though :)

stormsedge likes this.
  7. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Why?

Wouldn’t you love to find out that life developed elsewhere?

I would.

8. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, another sequence from The Expanse...

aging_rocker likes this.
  9. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Afflicted

We have to go back, the ba***ards have stolen @John Backlund's microphone....

[​IMG]

10. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Too many closed minds that don’t/can’t accept that learning about what’s “out there” is a way to move ahead as a people.
    I’ve always been a fan of NASA and the space program and the technology that comes from it. Some of it large, some of it small.

11. loco gringo

loco gringo Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Seriously? Benefits from the space program? Tang! It's all about the Tang!

If you are too young to know what Tang is, get off my lawn.

stormsedge and Believer like this.
  12. JuneauMike

It is not "close minded" to want our exploration to have a tangible purpose and to subject itself to the oversight of the people who pay for it. I'm sure you didn't mean to paint with such a big brush, but it has long been an accepted practice to guide exploration and research in the most constructive directions. NASA shouldn't be exempt from that.

In the close to the Challenger disaster, Richard Feynman warned NASA fans such as yourself to be cautious about accepting the sales pitch. "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled."

stormsedge likes this.
  13. Rocky058

Rocky058 Tele-Afflicted

You bet!

[​IMG]

John Backlund and aging_rocker like this.
  14. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Afflicted

Depends....
    [​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

15. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Pretty cool!

If there are inhabitants on Mars, I hope they don't vandalize the rover or cover your name when they Tag it with Spray Paint.

stormsedge likes this.
  16. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry, but whatever

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  17. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

Watching NASA TV helped me build my gigging pedalboard I used for years. They know how to fit a lot of stuff into tiny spaces.

stormsedge and JuneauMike like this.
  18. OldPup

OldPup Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

@JuneauMike If you think that launching space shuttles into space is all NASA is about, where its impact starts and stops, then you are missing some major aspects of that program. The technological gains from NASA have so many applications. Advances coming out of Silicon Valley have owed a great deal to America's space program - even though that wasn't NASA's mission. Business and Industry shrewdly seized on that opportunity. View the spending on NASA as seed money for economic expansion elsewhere. The jobs and tax revenue it has generated can't be ignored when you're looking at cost. The other most obvious benefit is our national defense. Our generals clearly weren't about to sit those advances out, either.

Spinoff Technologies: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_...Discoveries_and_innovation_at_US_universities
    Some of those are kind of funny. Some are extremely impactful.

On space exploration: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benefits_of_space_exploration

Assembling our greatest minds to pursue the seemingly impossible is something we don't do enough of. As the links above point out, resulting societal gains aren't always what was envisioned, but it can lead to worthy advances regardless. Technological advances advance society and very literally always have. Being against that is something I can't remotely understand.

We're all different though. That variability is one reason we are so adaptable and successful as a species.

19. JuneauMike

Yes, but none of that concerns sending another Rover to Mars. What will it do that the last one didn't do? How will it help mankind here on earth. We have been indoctrinated by our early childhood education to have a giddy Pavlovian response to everything NASA-related. That approach does not serve science.

I asked a fair question, so what is the answer. What will the replacement Mars Rover accomplish?

20. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Unfortunately, as a former big NASA fan most of my life, I feel the same way about this particular set of expeditions to Mars. 'Tis time to get our own planet back in order. Going back to the moon seems absolutely stupid in today's world too. This talk of advancing technology as a reason is a very weak debate at best.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.