Marketing and deceipt

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by mrboson, Sep 19, 2014.

1. mrboson

mrboson Tele-Afflicted

I was grocery shopping and poking through the toothpaste section looking for a good deal. Saw lots of things like this on the labels:

"Advanced Formula"
    "Micro-Cleaning Crystals"
    "Ultra-whitening"
    etc.

Looking that the ingredients, they all mostly look the same.

Do those phrases actually get people to buy a product? I did what I usually do... pick the one that was cheapest.

Don't get me started on the organic section and the labels used there... I'm all for buying locally grown produce (because it is fresher) and locally farmed eggs (fresher eggs). But most of the hype irritates me.

I have been a skeptic ever since I was a 16 year old working at a small water ski manufacturer. I won't name them because they are still in business, but they taught me a lot.

We built fiberglass and wood water skis, and most models were considered "high performance" by the ski buying public. I worked in most departments there at one time or another, but my time in the 'glass department taught me about how ingredients can be used to trick buyers. One of the models was marketed as an extreme performer because it incorporated a high tech (for the 80's, anyway) carbon fiber composite material impregnated into the fiberglass resin when the ski was baked in the press. This stuff was (I was told at the time) super expensive. When I was taught how to assemble the fiberglass sheets, I was very surprised that the carbon fiber sheet was about 8 inches long and 3 inches wide. It was sandwiched between sheets near the ski tip, the top layer was buttoned up, and off it went to the press.

I was like, are you kidding me? What does that little sheet do? My boss basically laughed and said "nothing", it just allows us to slap a decal on the ski saying it is carbon fiber reinforced. He said it didn't matter if we leave it in or leave it out, the ski works the same either way. It would have doubled the price of the ski, though, to incorporate the stuff all throughout. The ski was priced, however, higher than similar models that did not have the "reinforcement." The tactic worked pretty well, the higher end ski was the place's top seller.

One of the builds had a cosmetic blemish, so was rejected, and I was able to buy it for a discount (that was back in 1987). Some friends have it now and still use it. That ski is indestructible, but it has nothing to do with the "carbon fiber reinforced" decal that has long been worn off. In fact, that ski I "forgot" to put the sheet in it. I did that a lot - by boss's instruction - whenever our stock of the stuff was low.

2. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

its funny how the brain works. the problem with organic is their is no laws. so what is organic? you go to the farm you know what you are getting.

chris.

3. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Friend of Leo's

It's about what the producer can legally claim. I don't believe a word of it. The world has gotten to the point where I tend to assume the opposite of what is stated. We've passed the mid-point of truth vs. fiction in both the private and public sector. Fiction is winning.

4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

marketing doesnt work on me.

except when it does.

I bought the MXR Badass distortion in part because of the name

It helps lots of course that it is, in fact, badass.

So, yep, there ya have it

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I thought the "deceipt" was that little piece of paper they give you when you pay cash (and the proprietor pockets the money), where the ink disappears in no time.

"A deceipt from this guy for $ 75? When does he say he came in here and bought what? Never seen him before."

6. mrboson

mrboson Tele-Afflicted

I had that happen with a fix-it ticket. Car had a busted side mirror, so I got a ticket and a fine. I paid the fine in person, in cash, and was given a receipt. I sold the car. Somehow DMV's records were scrambled, so I got a warrant for not fixing the ticket and getting it signed off.

I had to go to court for that stupid mess. Fortunately, proving the car sale was easy. But then the court didn't have a record that I had already paid the fine, so I was ordered to pay it with the penalties. I pulled out the receipt issued by the same court only 2 months prior from my folder, and wouldn't you know it, the ink had faded so much that you couldn't read anything on it. The judge couldn't read it and ask me what the heck I was trying to pull. Fortunately, he eventually believed me.

7. boris bubbanov

I hear you.

I beat a citation issued by a Holier than Thou LA State Trooper who'd been rejected by all the suburban police departments (due to race, sadly) and by the time this guy got on the State Police, he was just full of pent up rage. Poor Guy.

Anyway, we went to trial and the Judge ruled in my favor but he didn't complete all the entries into the record to process the acquittal. Then, about 10 days later, the judge (wonderful gentleman) was killed in the street over in Gretna (hit on foot by a bicycle, if you can imagine and hit his head going down).

8 months later I find out there's an attachment on me. I just paid the thing off - I didn't have the heart to track down the Minute Clerk and have 'em go back and get the record and all that. Just felt like Bad Kharma to go back with my hat in my hand and trouble the Clerk (who by the way, was unemployed out of what had happened to the judge). And I knew, all the paperwork would be devilishly hard to read by that time.

8. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Always scan or xerox those thermally printed things you might need down the road.

9. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It's not so much the foolish marketing that scares me, but the fact it works on so many fools.

Certainly, there are enough stupid people out there for the practice to continue.

10. Twang Factor 10

Twang Factor 10 Tele-Meister

Organic is the biggest crock of $&@# of the last decade. I am a farmer and I am not or will ever be organic. My interpretation of organic is " grown in poop"! There is an Amish community close to here. They do not advertise as organic but people will drive 100 miles to get "fresh, organic Amish vegetables". I see the Amish at the local fertilizer and seed store. I've seen what goes in their buggies. They are far from organic.
    Another instance is my weirdo brother n law. A few years ago, he went 100% organic. He was buying unpasteurized milk from a local farmer. He scolded me because my kids weren't drinking organic milk. He told me my kids was drinking bacteria. I had to school him on pasteurization was.
    Moral of the story: if you are shopping for organic, smell of it first. If it smells like do do it's the real thing.

11. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

I'm always surprised how many otherwise intelligent people still confuse deceptive sales techniques with marketing.

The kind of hyperbole sales crap you guys are complaining about has been around forever... And it ain't marketing.

Good marketing serves the customer.

12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

If the marquetting says "new and improved" what was it before, old and rotten?

13. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

That's sales gibberish, not marketing! Lol

Sales tries to make you buy something that you don't want.

Marketing tries to figure out what you DO want...

14. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Marquetting was easier to misspell than Sails.

15. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

+1 Exactly.

I find it hilarious how much people buy into marketing rhetoric. We may think that the masses are born and trained professional consumers, but actually, they have been dumbed down by very simple marketing schemes. I have little empathy for them, but they do keep the artificial pyramid scheme economy going.

16. boris bubbanov

And that's IMO all part of the Plan.

These "businessmen" don't want some intelligent, resourceful person coming at them Hammer and Tongs.

So, they lace their adverts and so on with the kinds of things that make many of us here react "Pee-Yew! Not gonna do business with those slime-buckets!". But like Nick says, their chosen sort of customer will take the bait, get ripped off, and the rest of us will go on with what we're doing.

Example:

Shell Station in the metro New Orleans (Kenner) area, surrounded by other stations that apply no Premium for the use of Credit or Debit cards. None. These sneaky suckers offer their fuel same price as the others, but hidden low in fine print, is the disclosure that they extract FORTY ONE additional cents per gallon for non cash sales. Now, I knew in advance, have known for years these operators were never to be touched; hadn't spent a dime there in 30 years (been to all 8 stations, including 2 other Shells, in the immediate area many times) just knew these guys have always been scum. Believe it or not, they had more customers than any of the others. People who had too much on their plate, weren't paying attention, mentally challenged, something.

17. Nick JD

I've given up telling the person using the pump across from me at the gas station (who is pumping E10 when I'm pumping 91 (Australia's lowest)) that you get 4% less mileage from that fuel, yet 4c (the "discount" for E10) divided by $1.55 is not 4% cheaper. When gas was $1.00 per liter, it made sense, but the ripoff oil companies have not increased the difference as the cost per liter increased.

Seriously, if you can do math that simple - you deserve to lose your money. I give up and smile politely at the morons.

18. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

You know Stupid people don't bother me. Its people who just don't even try to learn or to better themselves I'm not talking about college or anything like that. Just even simple things people who don't even try. You can be as dumb as you want as long as your trying your hardest to learn or better yourself.

As far as deceptive marketing. There are enough company’s out there not trying to fool anyone these days. To where the ones that do should just be shut down.

Here in America there are a lot of things going on not even products just whole company’s based on scams. Everyone thinks it's ok to lie and cheat there way through life these days and they don't care who they have to hurt to do it. Kind of makes me sick.

19. Nick JD

I hear ya. But sometimes I feel general consumer apathy is enabling this behaviour.

The other day I got a (cold) call from a company on my cell (rare) saying they were from a "survey" company and could I answer a few questions. I said, okay - are you a govt. census organisation?

No, we're _______.

So you're compiling information for which company?

This went on and on until I finally cross-examined them enough to find out that it was an insurance company's marketing department trying to tell me they were a separate company collecting data. When asked if the insurance company was their sole client, the answer was YES.

Got put through to someone higher up and told them to stop being so damn sketchy. Just say who you are.

Then I started on about how they felt when they got home for the day and thought about working for a company who's business model is based on deception and dodgyness. If enough people question the motives of these companies maybe they'll fall apart internally.

Maybe - certainly made me feel better to tell a cold caller I thought their job muct give them zero satisfaction. Get a new job, mate - something where the management doesn't train deception into your day for you.

20. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

so, if, as a farmer, you found you could increase your profits by 40% after the costs of changed production costs and practices, you wouldn't go organic?

That is interesting. I have an acquaintance who switched his entire operation because he could double his profits... he has never looked back...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.