Mark Knopfler technique?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Manly wimp 17, May 3, 2017.

1. Manly wimp 17

Manly wimp 17 TDPRI Member

Okay, I'm a beginner guitarist and I always thought that hard rock and metal songs were the ones I wanted to be able to play (mostly because of me being familiar with different songs from these fields and guitarists like Zakk Wylde...). About a week ago I discovered the Dire Straits and I'm in love with the sound of it all. So, naturally, I really want to be able to play songs like Sultans of swing. The problem is that I don't know where to begin. Please, do you know where I can find lessons on Knopfler's guitar technique and how to be able to play like him (even if his technique is almost impossible to master, I want to learn it, because I am certain that playing this type of music will bring the most joy to me).

I also found a youtuber who plays in this style that I find interesting (). His name is Josh Turner.

2. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

LOL .. no offence I can understand where you are coming from, as I worshipped MK when I was 15 and would sit at night and marvel at his playing not understanding, how he made those sounds.

But it's not magic and at some point you suddenly start sounding like him.

The early Mark Knopfler sound is basically a guitar (preferably a strat in 2. position (middle+bridge), but any guitar will do) and a nice clean amp.

Then there is the chicking picking demonstrated nicely by Greg Koch here: (Starting at 3:30)

Have fun :)

3. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

4. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

From the man himself:

Mark was influenced by a lot of country pickers like Chet Atkins and Merle Travis.

5. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Josh Turner is young but he's no beginner.

SnidelyWhiplash and McGlamRock like this.
  6. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

Knopfler impresses even the best of the best..including these young upstarts..

JustABluesGuy and texastengu like this.
  7. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Tommy Emmanuel is maybe the best player on the planet, and between the two brother he got all the looks too...sorry Phil

8. brenn

brenn Tele-Afflicted

We'd all like to sound like Mark Knopfler - most of us just settle for something easy, like Clapton or Hendrix.

9. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

Harsh but fair...

10. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

11. Grant Austin

Grant Austin Tele-Meister

Something that helped me immeasurably in all sorts of ways, but especially fingerstyle, is taking classical guitar lessons for about 6 months. I got some basic technique down and am now able to pervert it to fit more casual fingerstyle techniques.

It isn't easy and I'm nowhere near where I want to be. But the progress was motivating.

JustABluesGuy and Round Bale like this.
  12. Manly wimp 17

Manly wimp 17 TDPRI Member

I took classical lessons for 5 years. I can read notes and know the basics of theory. I can play fingerstyle but isn't Knopfler playing in a different technique?

Grant Austin likes this.
  13. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

Knopfler plays with his fingers just like the video you posted with the kid playing.

14. Brokenpick

Brokenpick Tele-Afflicted

Mr. Knopfler is SUCH a fine player.
    Though "not the way he plays" he CAN play so much classic stuff... He's spent so much time learning from the other greats, just quietly gaining insights and abilities... and working, working, working.
    It is all such a life process. These really truly great guys aren't just focused on the way we think of them playing... they are so into other folks' stylings and so driven to play.
    There are gifts... and there are years of hard work... and we are blessed to be given a peek at it!

15. Grant Austin

Grant Austin Tele-Meister

Indeed. But it's a fairly simple one. My novice opinion is it can be seen as a simplification of classical technique. Mostly pim. Basically no rest stroke.

Classical training gives you finger independence and ergonomics. A lot of finger style techniques you see in practice seem more inefficient, limited subsets. And sometimes that's what makes them distinctive.

16. Superrock

Superrock Tele-Meister

First you need an old Schecter guitar, if that's all you can afford... and get a daytime job so you're doing all right. :)

17. Flyinlow

Flyinlow Tele-Meister

Just go on a steady diet of his stuff and be diligent about it, and in time, you'll have it.
    In a way, Knopfler is like SRV, where the best way to really capture what he's doing is to make his playing the primary focus of what you study. At least that's how it works for me. If I go on to something else for too long, I may still be able to play the riffs, but lose touch with how to make it "feel" that way. Every riff is fully playable and decipherable, but a lot of the subtleties get away if it isn't a big part of your practice. I hope I'm not sounding overly simplistic.

pixeljammer likes this.
  18. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Don't over think it. In another video MK talks about how the Strat changed Sultan's of Swing from a county blues to what we know it as today. For a long time he just worked on the alternating bass done by the thumb and the rake of the higher four string with the index and middle finger. Kind of like Carter Picking. Knopfler worked at simply getting a rhythm going first. Secondly, work on your vibrato.

And if I can offer my own advice on how I learned to finger pick; NEVER EVER CARRY A GUITAR PICK WITH YOU!

Last edited: May 4, 2017
    P Thought likes this.
  19. FattoneTele

FattoneTele Tele-Meister

20. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

It needs to be said that Josh Turner does a great job of the song in that video... but he is not playing with Knopfler technique. He has arranged the song for "fingerstyle" (no drums, bass, or rhythm) and has re-voiced a lot of the chords and licks. Even the iconic "ending lick" of the song is not played the way Knopfler plays it... the notes are there, but the "style" (ie: nuance, positioning, fingering, etc...) is not.

Again - I'm not dissing Josh in any way, that's a fabulous cut... just don't confuse it with Knopfler technique.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.