Mark Knopfler is giving it a chance...

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by codamedia, May 18, 2019.

1. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

When I saw that Mark was using a modeler, I thought it was strange that he went with the Kemper. Not that the Kemper is bad, or worse than the helix, but the helix seems more flexible in terms of live performance. Then I thought about it, and I bet Mark has a pretty substantial collection of amps. And I bet he likes each and every one of those amps for various reasons. And as great as the helix is, the helix doesn’t clone the exact amp sitting in marks studio that he’s been using for years. The Kemper does. So yeah, the helix(stomp) is more than good enough for me. But for the Pro guy with 10’s of thousands of dollars worth of top shelf amps that he’s been playing with for decades and knows intimately but doesn’t want to cart them around, the Kemper makes sense.

codamedia likes this.
  2. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

LOL... point taken.
    Although using Eric Johnson as any sort of an example isn't exactly fair... he's a freak of nature in this discussion :D

I would encourage you to do a little research though. MK is known for being very particular about his tones and works really hard on preparing for tours. But there are times when you'll do a show that is not "on the tour"... you have to compromise in those cases. I'd say he does a pretty good job with a pair of hot rods.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    Lobomov likes this.
  3. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Most certainly! :)

4. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

After reading up on this a bit farther, it sounds like the switch was predicated on the need to clear the stage for a huge band that will be playing behind him on this tour. Mark's long-time guitar tech did the work on setting up the Kemper for those 6 months and now it is live. Mark also traded in his large pedal board back in the '80's for rack effects years ago so it isn't really shocking that he would embrace something like a Kemper if it can be set up well enough to duplicate his regular amps.

It sounds like it took a lot of work to replace the regular amps (6 months is not a simple deal) so I don't know if it is really a ringing endorsement to me as the fundamental problem I have with modelling amps is that they are not simple to set up and use. Hell, I don't even like Mesa amps because there is a lot to dial in. I am sure Mark sounds great though and basements everywhere will be full of people downloading those profiles.

rogb likes this.
  5. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The Kemper is super easy to set up compared to other digital modelers, I'm thinking that it partially took so long because with the KPA Knopfler now had his entire inventory at his disposal and they had a lot of work to do just deciding which amps he wanted to use before the profiling and effects were even started.

StrangerNY, codamedia and Milspec like this.
  6. rogb

rogb Tele-Afflicted

My buddy worked with and still works with MK, he is an accomplished all-round musician and has a Kemper himself and for certain stage /recording
    setups, sings the praises of it.
    I tried it in the studio and compared to the amp in the room and its profile, I went with the amp for the "feel".
    But perhaps I was being a bit naive then, and Kemper main distributor is just down the road from me, so maybe I should revisit the whole idea again?
    My amp collection is slowly dwindling so perhaps I can just profile them and be done with it? Get a little Princeton for grab and go stuff?
    My beloved D-clone rig is living real nearby too, so maybe I can go profile that?
    Hmm, food for thought, I can see some big $$$ on the horizon but I have recouped some $$$ selling gear.

7. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

I don't care if he's playing through a Kemper or a Pignose in that clip, it sounds GREAT.

CapnCrunch likes this.
  8. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

I've been a skeptic when it comes to anything that remotely resembles digital modelling. I don't like tweaking knobs and menus and by and large don't like the way the digital products sound. I have to say though that the Kemper, if it does nothing else, is putting to bed the argument about where tone comes from. Mark Knopfler will sound like Mark Knopfler whether he plays through a Pignose or Peavey Bandit or cheap 60's Montgomery Ward amp. And I agree, he sounds great through the Kemper too. Hmmmm. At some point the detractors, debaters, and tube snobs like myself will have to just be quiet and hit the practice room for a little woodshedding.;)

The other thing that I'll say from some experience with the Kemper is that MK's tech did not spend 6 months perfecting his sound through the Kemper. He spent 6 months getting all of his rigs set up and organized. Once he found, or made the profiles he wanted to use, actually setting up the sound or tonality took minutes.

9. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

That's a broad generalization. The Blues Cube is a modeling amp on the inside but is very much like a traditional amp on the outside. If traditional-amp simplicity is a requirement, you trade off being forced to buy simple devices. When you want to do a lot of things, it means buying a roomful of those rather than one or two highly-capable products.

The bottom line is that any tool worth using has a learning curve. The more powerful the tool, the steeper it is. If you want to make good use of the tool, you have to spend some time with it or hire someone to do it for you. I can name a dozen things other than guitar amps where that applies.

10. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

Modeling amps have taken over in the studios, some time ago. It's mainly what they have been using for modern recordings. Pete Anderson has been using them for over 15 years (both live and studio), and no one has complained. Few have even noticed.

There is a learning curve with modeling, but even an old frat like me, is capable. When Mark Knopfler spends 6 months in the studio, they are recording, and not scratching their collective butts, trying to figure out how to use the Kemper.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    rze99 likes this.
  11. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

But you forget the key point here....you have to want to spend time to learn those things that are not so inuitive, I often don't. Even with my THR10 (which I really like) I just use the knobs and have never connected it to the computer for settings. I just like to keep things simple yet effective. I tried my luck with a Cyber Twin when they came out and decided pretty quickly that I don't want so much complication. Hell, I don't even like more than 2 knobs on the guitar

12. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Pure logic. It makes sense if you have millions invested in a long world tour and want to minimise risk. As long as the tones are pretty close (and 99 percent of people can't tell) it's the future.

rogb likes this.
  13. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

6 months???...6 minutes and I can't stand it no more. Wish I had that much patience and auditory talent.

14. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It doesn't take six months to create a profile-more like six minutes (assuming you know how to mic a speaker). What took them six months was the fact that Knopfler has a sizable collection of amps, and they had to decide which ones were going to be profiled. After that, the profiles had to be tested with the rest of the band to make sure they worked well with everything else on the stage.

This isn't a weekend cover band gig where close enough is good enough, this is a major tour with a lot of money on the table. I'm sure they wanted to make sure everything was as flawless as they could get it.

codamedia likes this.
  15. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

For those balking at the 6 month duration to get the Kemper up and running, please read the @Frodebro post above this one.

I don't know why some of you take that 6 months term as literal as you do. I'm 99.9% certain that also includes discussions on which amps/settings to profile then servicing "said amps" to make sure they are healthy, receive a fresh tubes, biased, etc... etc... The profiling likely went very quick (comparatively). Fine tuning is the same whether it's a Kemper, Helix, Fractal or a pedal board with raw amps.

I find it really amusing that some think it's easier to just plug into a tube amp and play. I can assure you that over the years MK and his producers/engineers have spent a lot more time than 6 months creating and fine tuning all those tones we here. With the exception of the first album (done on a shoestring budget), MK didn't just plug into a tube amp and play.

StrangerNY likes this.
  16. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Afflicted

Here's another guitar star that made a tone that was so much his that he couln't easily duplicate it with other gear untill he found Kemper, and he switched, and he gets all his sounds from the old days and all his today tones, plus many other things he couldn't do.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  17. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Afflicted

Kemper does NOT take six months to dial it in. MK's particular tone takes less than an hr to dial in. And deeper editing, playing with the peripherals like cabs and outboard pedals, depends, 2 to 4 hours maybe. Many tones will not take that long to sculpt.
    For MK to take six months it must have involved things way beyond the Kemper, like the whole tour/studio thing.

And,,,, you can get spot-on profiles from people like Michael Britt. Probably better than MK's crew could design, in fact they most likely checked out Michael Britt's talents..

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  18. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Afflicted

This info is SO wrong, and IMO, just the sort of thing sceptical people NEED to read in order to maintain their sceptical position on digital gear.

Frodebro likes this.
  19. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Six months of creating the tones Mark needs. Whoa! It’s not just amateurs who have to fiddle with knobs, adjust parameters, offer sacrifices of vestal virgins to find their tone.

20. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Meister

I heared him a few days ago in Munich and he sounded like - Mark Knopfler. The pa sound was perfect so I think he reached his goal :)

Frodebro and codamedia like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.