Mark Agnesi Already Having an Impact at Gibson

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Jun 17, 2019.

1. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

Irv probably saved Joe's life on multiple occasions.... not to mention working with Bill Symscyk to encourage Joe to abandon his solo career (which was killing Joe) to join the Eagles... all these stories are just more complicated than a soundbite... and the Gibson one too... they probably did a poor job protecting themselves and playing catchup is gonna be hard... to do so, they'll need someone who does not mind the negative (and frequently ill informed) push back... the problem with ill informed folks is that their narrative is complete.. to get more details and rethink that narrative would probably erode some other long term narratives that are equally ill informed...

Better to just shout it down and be SURE of what you believe than to challenge it and accept that what we thought was one way, was maybe not that way at all....

John Nicholas, Frodebro and AxRookie like this.
  2. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

3. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

I didn't see the Agnesi clip, but if Gibson had done it with some smarm and sass involved, where you weren't quite sure if he was serious or not, that would have been funny.

Something along the lines of "you copy our stuff, we cut your nuts off". Ok that might not be good corporate protocol, but you get my drift. Hire a real ad agency to write the copy.

Make it like a good GEICO commercial.

4. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I think Gibson should have just found a random unknown guy that was a great player to be their fall guy. All that really matters is whether they are making good quality, good looking guitars for a decent price. The best move they could make is having a guy play the hell out of a bunch of cool looking and sounding new models and making sure their quality control and customer service is top notch.

The random guy could have toured and made videos with all the usual YouTube reviewers promoting the new line and leaving them with little negative to say if they have just witnessed some great playing and there are no flaws on the guitars.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  5. Jerry_Mountains

Jerry_Mountains Tele-Meister

I said it before and I'll do it again. The best thing that Gibson could do to compete with the asian knock-offs (if that's the subject of the video I didn't see it really) is to put a Gibson style headstock in the Epiphone LPs, the traditional Epiphone headstock looks great on archtops and semis but in a Les Paul (and SG) it looks totally out of place.

6. Woollymonster

Woollymonster Tele-Meister

Probably a marketing strategy that would be embraced by someone like Zakk Wylde but, would make Elton John cry. Get tough.

7. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

Meh.
    Read the text and think about it before you read it in front of a camera.
    It's his face the words are coming out of. Like it or not, he's going to be associated with what he says in a widely disseminated marketing video.

8. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

This is a joke, right? He always seemed like a sleazy douchbag "bro" to me.

Jonnyb73 and bcorig like this.
  9. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

As Royal Tennenbaum famously said “Honey, it’s just one man’s opinion”.

cyclopean and AxRookie like this.
  10. bcorig

You nailed it, this is about the Chibsons and those corporate dunderheads should have made that clear, instead of spraying and praying with that idiotic bot-blast. Agnesi is now a Company man. This is what Company Men must do.

Jerry_Mountains and Owenmoney like this.
  11. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

Two separate issues.
    1) is vigorous defense of their IP a good way for Gibson to resurrect their business?
    2) does "vigorous IP defense" make a good centerpiece for Gibson's marketing campaign to restore its brand with the guitar-buying public?

1) possibly
    2) of all the complaints about Gibson over the years - shoddy build quality, overpriced, lame new gimmicks - I've never heard anyone say "I considered buying a Les Paul, but Gibson just doesn't defend their IP aggressively enough for me."

ladave likes this.
  12. bcorig

Yeah, that’s as good a description of how I feel. I agree, let’s not turn TDRPI into Twitter.

13. bcorig

85ECE5AB-A762-4F06-80C0-E14036C59B46.jpeg

Bruxist likes this.
  14. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

15. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

They went after Kauer a few years back when Henry was still at the helm over their Firebird shapes and they went after the LP copy guys too so this ain’t nothin new. I want to know how Bolin gets to make SGS for Billy G with the Gibson name on them?

Cheers,
    Geoff

bcorig likes this.
  16. bcorig

Since I got my Tele my poor LP Studio hasn’t seen the light of day.

17. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Holic

Sounds like Gibson is planning to waste a lot of money paying lawyers to fight a battle that’s already lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cyclopean likes this.
  18. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

Who was the audience supposed to be for this video? I understand how going after actual counterfeit guitars (with Gibson on the head stock) helps consumers, but are they going after Collings and others who have established credibility in offering alternatives to Gibson? So Agnesi is announcing to guitar buyers that Gibson is going to do what they can to limit choice and competition so they can strengthen their market power and raise prices and profit? I can see saying that to Gibson's board but not to the public! And if they want to go that direction to increase profitability, they should just start filing lawsuits and hope the public doesn't figure out or care too much what they are doing. And my goodness, could he have come across as a bigger jerk? That guy should not be put in front of a camera.

cyclopean and alathIN like this.
  19. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

cyclopean likes this.
  20. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Mad Kiwi and AxRookie like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.