Mark Agnesi Already Having an Impact at Gibson

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Jun 17, 2019.

1. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

five pages and over 100 posts and I'd say Agnesi is doing his job.

Like others here, I got no quarrel with Gibson stuff - having played an SG very early in my days (like 1969-70), they are fun guitars to play. And yeah, consistency, even though they have made thousands upon thousands, has never been their strong suit -IMO...

I was sort of wondering what the Gibson flavored forums were saying about Agnesi, but I don't really care enough to find out.

In the long run, it really won't matter - except, please, no puppy killing, ok?

2. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I think mine is from the end of the Norlin era, but it doesn't have any of the Norlin 'features,' most notably no volute. One of my SGs is a '71, and it's an odd one - the string pull on the headstock is practically straight. Plays more like a Strat than an SG.

That Custom is pretty fine, man. I nearly bought a Norlin Gold Top at Norm's a couple of years ago, but I'm a skinny dude so the weight was definitely a deal breaker. That was a nice LP, just a little heavy for me (my Standard is about 9.5, which is still pretty comfy).

- D

Greg_L likes this.
  3. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Thanks.

What do you mean about that SG? Is the break angle over the nut flatter than usual?

4. StrangerNY

Nearly completely flat! I think they called it the SG-2 or something - top routed, originally came with those mini-hums with plastic covers. It was already modded to hell when I bought it, and it had a pair of humbuckers in it that sounded absolutely horrible.

I ended up buying some pickguard material and made a pickguard for it, dropped a P-90 into it. It was my version of an SG Junior, until I finally got one of those.

[​IMG]

- D

AxRookie, Bruxist and Greg_L like this.
  5. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Oh yeah! I'veheard of those but never seen one in person. I didn't know they had flat headstocks. Interesting. Looks like you improved it a lot!

6. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Sounds awesome to me! That is my least favourite part of my SG, the headstock tilt. Guess I played a strat too long.

Cool ax.

7. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

I don't understand what the problem is with a tilted headstock. Besides the potential to snap like a twig, I don't think it does anything negative to the feel or playability.

8. StrangerNY

Me neither. I've got a couple of T-bodies that play stiffer than my Les Pauls.

But I like having to adapt to my different guitars. Sometimes a little fight is a good thing, makes you dig in a little more.

- D

Bones and Greg_L like this.
  9. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Shhh!!! You can't say that. Most people don't have enough self honesty for such a statement.

Owenmoney, AxRookie and Greg_L like this.
  10. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Ha I totally agree. I like that fight. Particularly when paired with a loud ass unruly amp.

StrangerNY likes this.
  11. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Holic

When I saw the close view of the les paul custom headstock with the wonky diamond inlay I knew immediately it was authentic.

Jonzilla and Bones like this.
  12. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Must have missed the ‘imitation is the sincerest form of flattery’ memo

cyclopean and Dave W like this.
  13. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

My wife and I were talking last night about the Gibson " statement" ... let's just say; after we talked and I thought about it real hard I - pulled my clones from flea bay and will let her dispose of my LP clones whenever appropriate.

I hate watching a company slit it's thoart - again and again, especially since I grew up playing their SG line of guitars.

14. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

companies with big brands probably need an irving azoff and a phil schiller. You may not know them... but, they make sure nobody messes with the brand... if it was your brand, you'd want them on your team. not pretty, but probably necessary.

15. StrangerNY

I was signed to Azoff's label in the early 90s. I had one meeting with him in the year I was there. He scared me, and I was on his side.

- D

Owenmoney, Bones and getbent like this.
  16. Vermoulian

Vermoulian Tele-Meister

I'm guessing that the new non-music-biz control structure came in, looked around, and figured that what they consider Gibson's intellectual property was being exploited all over the place, and (having no feel for the guitar-buying community) just decreed, "We've got to crack down on this." There are a lot of management skills that can transfer fairly easily from one industry to another, but there's no substitute for knowing your market, and the new Gibson management has, I suspect, just received a lesson about stuff unique to the world of building and selling guitars. (Ironically, Agnesi probably does understand; I strongly suspect that this was not his idea.)

Also, good luck to them shutting down people building versions of Les Pauls and Flying Vs and whatever. Even if you only go from after the lawsuits of the 70s, which I seem to recall hearing they either settled or lost, they've sat by relatively idly while jillions of guitars with their "trademark" shapes have been cranked out by everybody from the cheapest imports to the most esoteric custom luthiers. At this point I'd bet Dean has built more Flying Vs than Gibson, just to pick one random example. If you want to protect a trademark, you have to be constantly diligent when somebody infringes it. (See, e.g., Rickenbacker, for an example of a company that actively fights that fight, and not always to the pleasure of the buying public or even their own fans.) There may be elements that they can still claim (people have mentioned the headstock), but as far as the basic shapes go, I think that horse is out of the barn.

17. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, this is something that I have not heard much about, they really screwed their long time indie dealers back in the early 2000s by demanding ridiculous floor plans out of small mom and pops. Made for getting some killer deals, but after being forced to sell at almost their cost to get rid of stuff so they could order more, Gibson upped the ante even higher. They need to get Gibson back into what smaller shops are left.

AxRookie and Mike Eskimo like this.
  18. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Everybody knows who Irving Azoff is.

The Eagles have been Glen/Don/Irving - and then a bunch of hired guns, for decades now.

I think Joe Walsh has to rub his feet when Irving snaps his fingers...

19. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Holic

The internet critics are in full force, yet again. Love the internet. Where anonymous, self-hating do nothings can have a voice and use it to spread their unhappiness to the world.

Do any of you have any idea of how challenging it is do put out Guitar of the Day videos?

Here's a challenge to all of the fine folks that criticized Agnesi's person in this thread. Why don't you post a video of you demoing one of your guitars? One take, one amp, "a touch of verb", play something cool on each pickup position.

Better yet, try doing 10 of those videos. Or 100. No repeats.

Agnesi has a deep pocket in everything he plays, impressive repertoire, and the ability to nail takes. Do you know how hard that gig is? Just try doing that, I dare you.

I'll bet dollars to donuts none of you sad critics could do it. If you could, you'd have some respect. And no doubt you'll keep spreading hate on the internet. As if Agnesi and all of the other musicians you hate on won't come across your comments.

His passion for vintage guitars and guitar history is blatantly obvious. How can you hate on someone who shares your passion?

I don't see how putting somebody who loves guitars that much in a position where he can influence the direction of Gibson can be a bad thing.

Rock on Mark! You be you brother. I enjoy your playing, and no doubt singers love jamming with that heavy groove you put down!

20. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

more like drool and wet his pants...lol

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.