Mark Agnesi Already Having an Impact at Gibson

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

As a regular guy that uses various Gibsons for at least 99.999999999999999% of my daily guitar playing, I'd like to see them downsize and simplify.

I couldn't care less if they attack copycats or kill puppies on Christmas morning at an orphanage. Don't care. Just make the basic standard models and make them awesome.

hdvades likes this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

3,2, 1 .......

3. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Well, yes, I agree for the most part, except for the Fender bias.

The 2019 Gibson line up has taken taken some obvious steps to bring things back to an expected product line and price point. They're making 50s and 60s spec'd Les Pauls and pricing them around $1500. They still have the goofy "HP" models with the ugly PRS-like finishes, but if one chooses, they can get into a very nice "traditional" Les Paul or SG for 1500-ish that has all the features you'd expect from a classic old-school Gibson without all the new crap that everyone hates. That's not bad. It's a step in the right direction.

hdvades, AxRookie and Mike Eskimo like this.
  4. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Haters gonna hate.

Never more true than now.

Owenmoney likes this.
  5. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Meister

Totally agree about them taking steps in the right direction lineup wise. And on how goofy those HP models are. Blech. But, I'm still seeing the same failures that got them where they are insofar as the QA failures for the price.

Are you talking the Tribute series? Probably the best thing in the whole lineup, but I'm personally not a fan of the 490s, which is taste not objective craftsmanship to be fair. Only fiddled with one and it felt like an $800-900 guitar at most, not like a $1k+ to me, which is again a subjective "feel" thing. But it's absolutely the kind of thing Gibson needs to be putting out more of.

If I was going to get an LP type, I'd go LTD/ESP. But, if I just had to get that logo on the headstock, that's the only thing in the lineup I'd even consider. The satin iced tea burst is a really nice finish, though. I cannot bash the looks, craft mistakes aside.

Greg_L likes this.
  6. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

No, they have something called "original" series or something like that. I totally misspoke on the price. They're $2500, not $1500. Major brain fart there. I humbly apologize for the misleading misinformation.

Anyway, that's what I was talking about. The "Original Collection". Even at $2500, which is still a ton of money for a guitar, it's a major improvement over what they were trying to get for previous Standards, which was insane, and the guitars were not what you'd expect from a standard Standard. The "Original" lineup has the pickups and features most people would want from a Gibson. I've only seen one - a 60s model - and it seemed very very good to me. I didn't spend hardly any time with it though. But it seemed nice. I'd say that one was worth the price tag for a hand finished, hand carved, set neck, neck binding, blah blah blah Gibson.

Cysquatch likes this.
  7. Luis Mendo

Luis Mendo TDPRI Member

Ugh. The tone of the whole video is ugly indeed

cyclopean likes this.
  8. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Meister

No worries, I screw up prices on almost everything if I don't look it up. Which is probably better than having guitar prices memoeized. Unless you're Rainmain.

I haven't touched an Original, so can't make a call there. Very well could be worth it if they're putting more personal attention into them. I don't fully buy that Gibson hand does everything as much as they claim to, but that could be the exception there. And they sure look nice. If I see one, I'll give a try.

Grew up lusting after Les Pauls and have never really had one click with me enough to pull the trigger. I'll probably never buy one at this point, but just finding one that is as good as 9-17 year old me wanted them to be would be a really satisfying experience.

Greg_L likes this.
  9. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Agnesi's from LA, by way of Ohio. Also balding.

Leather jackets are a fashion choice, not a marketing strategy.

And since when did a New York accent become some kind of a sinister thing? I know plenty of really nice guys with NY aceents.

- D

Owenmoney and Greg_L like this.
  10. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

I'm a big fan of the normal Gibson lineup - particularly SGs and Les Pauls. The rest are okay, but they don't excite me. There's something about a good Les Paul or SG that just jives with me. My #1 guitar, the one I'd keep if I had to sell off everything else, is a 2011 Les Paul Traditional Goldtop. It's perfect in every way. The carve, the body, the binding, the neck, the frets, the weight, the nut, the electronics, it's beautiful. It's truly what a "standard" Les Paul should be. To look at it, you'd think it's a $5k 1957 reissue. Looks exactly like that. Anyway, having said that, I had to spend about 6 months and handle literally over 100 other Les Pauls to get to it. Some of those were great, some were crap. I really wanted a Goldtop, and it had to be just right. It's the only one that I actually ever bought brand new. None of my other Gibsons were bought new. Gibson Corporation does not get my money until they fix their s**t, even though I generally like their guitars. I'm not knocking other brands, but I believe a small part of the appeal of Gibsons for Gibson people is that they aren't cookie-cutter. Love it or hate it, they do require some hands-on work to find the just-right one if you really want the just-right one. I've always attributed that to the hand-finishing they get. No two are the same. Sometimes they're not even close! I could totally see that infuriating some people. I live in a massive city though so finding many examples to try out is no big deal.

So anyway, if all this drama surrounding Gibson can get them going backwards in a good way, then that could be good.

CFFF and Cysquatch like this.
  11. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Ay-oh, fuggeddaboudit ova heeyah.

2 Headed Goat and StrangerNY like this.
  12. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Until it’s a marketing strategy .

Hey it’s a step up from Henry’s acid-washed denim jacket with the embroidered “Gibson” on it. I think it was from the Jim Belushi/Tim Allen collection.

There’s always a learning curve when you move up to corporate. He just took the curve too fast, ran off the road, and spun out .

For the record, I played a 2019 TV yellow LP Special a couple weeks ago that was fantastic. Nice weight, huge 50’s neck, you could see the grain, no tuneamatic-just a stop. $1500 on the tag. Very nice.

stnmtthw and StrangerNY like this.
  13. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Meister

That's probably the thing, I've just not handled tons and tons of them. I think that as much as I wanted one and thought they were going to be the perfect noise-maker for me growing up, they really just aren't, which is sad. That said, there's probably "the one" out there for me somewhere, but if I've gotta play all of them to find it, I'd rather just buy another tele and play it instead.

Good on you for voting with your dollar, as far as that means anything. Too many apologists making excuses for brands so they feel justified about money they already spent. I'm glad you found your magic LP, though!

And 100% agree that if Agnesi being kind of a goober makes Gibson backpedal towards better production, then let him tank.

14. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Mark Agnesi always wore a leather jacket if you'd ever seen his years of Guitar of the Day videos. He could be guilty of tons of faux pas, but wearing a leather jacket as a "marketing strategy" is not one of them.

CFFF and StrangerNY like this.
  15. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

I'm kind of like that with Teles. I know this is a Tele forum, and I like the conversations in here, but I'm not a fan of Telecasters. I've tried to be, I like lots of bands that feature them, but for me I just don't get along with them. They do nothing for me. I've only met one Telecaster that I ever liked and it wasn't even an actual Tele. It was a G&L something-or-other. And it belonged to a friend, and it got stolen, never to be seen again.

I think I'd be just fine if Gibson went out of business tomorrow. It wouldn't be good for the guitar world, but there are still tons of great used Gibsons out there.

16. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm surprised at the amount of ill will being directed at him, he's doing his job.

I think I'd act pretty weird if you stuck a camera on me and asked me to demo a guitar, or asked me to sit in on a jam with Tom Petty & Tim Pierce & co in the guitar store. And then hired me to do PR for Gibson.

Not really an easy thing to do, and it's probably not his normal personality at all.

That said I do think I like Michael Lemmo's playing better now.

Greg_L likes this.
  17. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've got an '82 Standard that I bought off of Reverb, and it's such a nice guitar. Like your Goldtop, this Standard is the prototypical LP for me. I was nervous when I pulled the trigger on it, because 80s LPs can be hit or miss. But when it got here and I took it out of its case and started playing it, I knew I got a winner.

[​IMG]

I've also got one of the 60s Tribute Goltops, a Special DC and a a couple of SGs. They're all pretty cool in their own way, but that Standard, man...that's the LP I've been looking for for years.

- D

AxRookie, CFFF, teletimetx and 2 others like this.
  18. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Ha, I'm just the opposite. I preferred Agnesi's demos. Lemmo seems like a really nice, gentle, friendly guy, and he's a great player, but his style doesn't appeal to me. I preferred Agnesi's sloppy rock style for showcasing those guitars.

Owenmoney and StrangerNY like this.
  19. GuitarKid

GuitarKid Tele-Meister

I'll never have a Gibson anyway. Too expensive for me. An Epiphone does basically the same thing, just looks cheesier.

Telecasterless likes this.
  20. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Nice! I love it! That's probably like the very end of the Norlin era, right? I'm in the minority in that I really like the Norlin era.

I have a 1978 Custom. I think 76-77 is when they stopped the pancake bodies. Mine's a 78 and it's a full 12 pounds of solid body no weight relief Les Paul.
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.