Mark Agnesi Already Having an Impact at Gibson

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

It's funny that he mentions movies where they tape over the brand on the headstock, I don't think that has anything to do with trademark or copyright, does it? I thought that was just Gibson not wanting to pay to have their brand shown and the producers not wanting to give them free publicity? I'm no expert in such matters, but that just seems to be a weird attitude to take.

alathIN and CFFF like this.
  2. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

I recall a very very heated thread recently where many at this usually friendly site, in general, ripped a small-time nobody luthier that dared to build guitars that were Tele copies. He used cute terminology that hinted at Telecasters and and the collective here generally cheered like soccer hooligans that Fender was "going after" him. The corporate cheerleading was definitely in full force.

Now an actual employee from Gibson does basically the same thing that Fender did - actually less - and they're evil for it. Lol.

You don't see the ridiculousness of it all? Fender is godly for "protecting their 'intellectual property' ", but Gibson is evil for even hinting at doing it?

That kind of hypocritical craziness needs to be addressed.

badger51, AxRookie, Mad Kiwi and 3 others like this.
  3. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

Product placement in movies and TV is a huge industry. Pretty much everything you see that's an identifiable product or brand logo is bought and paid for.

4. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Meister

I was not on this thread but m'y point would be the same.

As long you're still correct with IP,d I don't see any problem.

There's no need to defend companies they're able to do it via well paid lawyers.

5. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Orange amps has apparently spent a lot of money for product placement on Disney teen shows.

6. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

I don't have a dog in the fight. I don't care about who copies what. There are only so many guitar body shapes that are both ergonomically functional and that people want. Just about every company, big and small, makes a Tele looking guitar, a Strat looking guitar, and a Les Paul looking guitar.

AxRookie, alathIN and Luis Mendo like this.
  7. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't think most people believe that they shouldn't be protecting their interests, I think most people , like myself just think they should do it and not make ridiculous videos like Gibson did. I like Gibson guitars, I love my Les Pauls, but if you want to threaten China or small time builders like Gil Yaron, do it through your legal department, not your "brand ambassador" or whatever Agnesi is. The fact they they took it down so quickly shows that it was a mis-step.

8. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Agreed, it's a bad look. It's like Henry J had one last project to finish before leaving. This level of bad optics seems to have his fingerprints all over it.

But any move Gibson makes is met with criticism, so they really can't win anyway in the PR department.

Gibson people are mostly psychos. If they stick to the classics, they're stuck in the old days. If they dare change anything, the loyalists go bananas.

AxRookie, Bones and CFFF like this.
  9. Luis Mendo

Luis Mendo TDPRI Member

The guy did look kind of grumpy when he was in Norman's Rare Guitars...

Bones and brookdalebill like this.
  10. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

What new innovative concept though for Gibson. If there's a threat, declare war!!! They'd have to pay millions to a CEO to come up with that idea.

AxRookie and Bones like this.
  11. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Holic

And somebody removed it already :)

Luis Mendo likes this.
  12. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

If he's not available then Peter Coyote please.

Telecasterless and WetBandit like this.
  13. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

We're working up to that!

cb19504c0a345b8d9233ac2c8dc056a4--male-cheerleaders-cheerleading-uniforms.jpg

scrimmer, Greg_L and CFFF like this.
  14. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

The fella has only been there 5 minutes i doubt very much he wrote the script
    as for Gibson clamping down on boutique builders they have in the past so it is nothing new

AxRookie and StrangerNY like this.
  15. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Gibson is just an old fart that has no idea on how to keep up with the Boutique Builders because the Boutique folks build better playing, sounding and looking guitars. They need to crawl back into the grave they dug for themselves in the 90's and stay there. Every time they try to get out their guitar prices go up and the quality goes down.

16. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I kind of like 90s Gibson, they had a lot of interesting models. Not so much later, but they still put out some interesting model every 5 years or so, and quickly discontinue them for fear someone might like them. I don't see the current Gibson offering much different from 5 or 10 years ago.

17. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

That's exactly my point. They dug a deep grave doing that crap in the 90's. Whatever the reason that they discontinued various models the quality wasn't always worth the $$$$$

18. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I wonder what schmarmy corporate eel they're going to get to announce that not only are they going to continue their onerous and dictatorial approach to their dealers, they're going to double-down and make it twice as expensive and force even more ridiculous models down their dealer's throats ?

I really don't know what their thinking is regarding all the stores that sell Gibson's but at this point in the industry and with their past reputation for bending dealers over and abusing them , their approach should simply be :

You have an established store that wants to sell Gibsons ?

Here they are. How many/few do you want ? Let US know how we can be helpful to YOU in selling our product.

In this era of musical instrument use/non-use, they should take every opportunity to sell its instruments to whoever wants to buy them , wherever they are.

NOW is not the time to be precious and make dealers jump through hoops to make you money.

If I was a non-schmarmy brand manager at Gibson, I'd walk into Elderly instruments and ask Stan Werbin "How can we start over and be in business again ? Let's make some money together ! That was OldCo - this is NewCo - lets get busy !"

19. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Meister

I think everybody in both camps would be happy if they just made a standard level guitar worth the money instead of stroking their "brand" and "legacy" every chance they get and getting customers to foot that bill. I've yet to grab any of the new, supposedly better, Gibsons that didn't do anything but make me question the price tag.

The classic and traditional line of LPs start at $2k and the standard at about $2300-2400. SG standard at $1500. From what experience I've had with the new ones, which is admittedly not a ton, hands on with about 5 guitars between LPs and SGs, they don't earn that tag. Still tons of aesthetic QA failures with binding and inlay mistakes and finish blemishing and had some poorly cut nuts on a couple of them. That's completely unacceptable on guitars of that price.

Whereas the extremely high number of MIM and Am Performer guitars I've played have largely been amazing with great QA, price aside. With price figured in around $700-1100, it's obvious Gibson is putting the screws to customers. Even the American Professional line sits around $1500 and the couple I've played have been exceptional instruments.

But, it is 100% possible the difference in sample sizes has helped Fender out in this comparison and I'm obviously biased towards Fender types, being here. So, not discounting that my experience could be anomalous or unfair. But, the price tags just don't add up imo.

20. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I like that 90s stuff, they had the monument series, American series, and those double-cut arched top 24 fret solid-bodies were pretty cool. Sure, they were kind of overpriced at $600-$1000 for the 90s, but they were still kind of cool.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.