Mark Agnesi Already Having an Impact at Gibson

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

I love my MIM Fenders, I have five, two Bajas, two FSR teles was noiseless pickups and a Fifties Series Strat.. all great guitars, I gave them a decent setup and they’re awesome playing guitars.
    I also have a 25 year old Epiphone LP standard that’s better than the Gibson LP Deluxe I used to have.
    I have no brand name stigmas. Evidently some people are even willing to drop 3.95 million fora partscaster owned by David Gilmour, talk about buying authentic, lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

To see how Gibson handled this the first time read this:
    64921959_487319115366958_7614868958225855339_n.jpg

CFFF likes this.
  3. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

I wonder why they aren’t going after all the pickup manufacturers making PAF pickups? Weren’t they brand authentic ?

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Larry DiMarzio “owns” the term PAF.
    I don’t have a dog in the fight, just passing the information along.

Bruxist likes this.
  5. brown2bob

brown2bob TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Can't compete on quality/value so sue away the competition... Sad!

WetBandit likes this.
  6. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

And has a trademark on double-cream humbuckers.

Owenmoney likes this.
  7. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted

Man, I love hanging out here but some of the sheer ignorance in this thread is really something.

"Gibson is failing because... " opinion opinion opinion, all based on reading interGoogle forums
    "Excellent points!"
    "Anecdote that happened to my girlfriend's Uncle! Proof of a universal truth!"
    "I agree! Our opinions can fix the universal truth we just invented!"
    "Excellent points! Everyone that disagrees with us is evil, moronic, or a troll!"
    "So true! My life as I've lived it from behind this keyboard has made me sooo experienced!"

How's about we try some known facts as recorded? Gibson failed as a business in spite of the success of their guitar business. The "lifestyle" brands under the Gibson umbrella were what failed. It wasn't due to their callousness, or greed on pricing (especially since Gibson guitars are the lowest cost they've ever been, adjusted for inflation), or the exploding headstocks that appear to never happen to vintage 57-60 models, or the plethora of Norlin era guitars out there. It was just their poor ability to manage non-core businesses that did them in, nothing more, nothing less.

A word on Trademarks. If you have a Trademark, the law requires you to defend it. That means that you must literally seek out cases where companies are copying you, and you MUST pursue cease-and-desist actions and if necessary, litigation against the company. If you don't, you lose the Trademark. This is called "actively defending" ones' Trademark. This is what happened to Leo Fender, to his dismay, when he tried too late to defend his designs.

No one has to like Gibson, their guitars, or how they choose to sell them. But some of of the wild-butt stuff y'all come up with... Please please please educate yourself a bit outside of opinion mills like this forum.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    Bones likes this.
  8. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

I do remember reading that, thanks for the update, I don’t really have a dog in the fight either, I just hate to see them go one step forward and three or four backwards. It’s just dumb.

WetBandit and brookdalebill like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.