Mark Agnesi Already Having an Impact at Gibson

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

Well, back then he was Norms tool, now he’s Gibson’s. Then it was just a job in a strip mall, now it’s a bit bigger !
    When you take a mans money you ride for the brand !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Okay, sure, fair enough, you can look at it like that. Or, he's a guy just doing his job now as he was back then. His job was vintage/rare guitar salesman. An Ibanez "lawsuit" guitar qualifies as both. Now his job is....I'm not sure what his job is at Gibson. But I'd bet it's not corporate lawyer.

3. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

The whole neck thing is hilarious. Gibson should just throw a scarf joint on every one of their headstocks that is going on a guitar with an opaque finish. No one will ever know and a bunch fewer guitars will get broken.

IRL > 50% of the gibsons I've seen in the hands of people I've known have had headstock repairs. Maybe 75%+. The place I bought my Tele had about 50 Gibsons for sale used that had all been turned in with broken headstocks & repaired and put back on sale. I almost assume if I meet someone who has one at some point they'll just go "Yah, the headstock broke, it's been fine since it got glued back on."

If the CEO wanted to show he had some balls he could have started with fixing the headstocks for good instead of deciding to throw down with a lawsuit. If someone strong at the top just said "enough" and they changed everything over they could make it stick.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  4. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Holic

If you're jonesing for an SG, you should check out a used SGJ, they can be had right around $500-600. One year of them came with robo tuners, so avoid that. But the 120th anniversary (2014?) models were pretty great. Satin nitro bursts, satin nickel hardware, '61 Zebra buckers, AND a maple neck. They did have the PCB harness, if that bothers you.

Only Gibson I've ever really loved and bought it new within like 10 minutes of playing it. Sold it pretty recently as I'd just grown even further towards f-type guitars with single coils and my fat fingers never fit super well above the 14th fret or so on 24.75" necks. Good guitar, but did more sitting and looking at it than I ever did playing it for the last year or so.

5. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

It would be more profitable to fix the headstocks on the regular models and start a new "vintage neck" line without the fix priced $250 higher.

:rolleyes:

esseff and fasteddie42 like this.
  6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Nice try but sadly this just isn't true.

OTOH maybe you have a view on how guitars should be handled that doesn't include leaving your house, being put in a case that others handle, gigging, traveling, cohabitating with bands playing in bars etc.

Obviously plenty of players manage to use these more fragile guitars, but saying proper handling ensures that they will never break?

IMO it is OK for there to be more rugged and more fragile tools in the world.
    No need to insist that the more fragile tools are not more fragile.
    Seems like an odd and irrational assertion to make?

I bet you play guitar with emotion though, that's a good thing!

esseff likes this.
  7. cottonmike

cottonmike Tele-Meister

Agreed. On it's surface, it looks like a good ol All American story of "hard-working regular guy gets the career lifting call of a lifetime". How much did he know about his immediate future during that initial flight he took to Nashville?

I was happy for the guy. I guess, because of Phil X, I really wanted to like him.

Owenmoney likes this.
  8. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

I'm not saying they can't be broken. Anything can be broken. I'm saying if you use them like they're meant to be used, they won't just break on their own. And if a few do, that's the exception rather than the rule. Gibsons ARE NOT just falling apart for no reason. They just aren't.

An since you brought it up, I do play live fast aggressive music in divey places. I play in multiple bands. It's not as hardcore as a sweat-less sleepy blues jam in a coffee shop on a tuessday afternoon, but it's pretty up-tempo stuff. My guitars travel in cases in the trunks of cars. I'm not a full doofus though, so my Gibsons don't break, neither do my bandmates' Gibsons. Call me crazy, but I keep my guitars in cases or on secure stands when not in use. Nuts, I know. But maybe I am just a wimp. I'm also a drummer and my cymbals don't break either. Go figure.

telemnemonics and Owenmoney like this.
  9. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

archetype said:
    ...and its dynamics scream!

I'm not talking about the guitar at all. I'm talking about the idiotic ad copy.

"screaming dynamics" is ridiculous. In context, dynamics is "variation and gradation in the volume of musical sound." Variation doesn scream. Gradation doesn't scream. Many folks think that understanding what words mean is unimportant. Saying what you mean, correctly, is what makes our language convey meaning, reliably.

If I were buying an amp, and the seller said "it's responsive to picking dynamics," I want the seller and me on the same page about what "dynamics" means.

10. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

'Cause everybody's somebody's tool
    Everybody's somebody's plaything
    And there are no exceptions to the rule
    Yes, everybody's somebody's tool

- Connie Francis?

StrangerNY likes this.
  11. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

Quite frankly I don’t know why everyone is so anal about headstock angle, just change it, this years mustang doesn’t look like the original mustangs, but Ford still puts a horse on the front. It’s still a mustang
    A corvette stingray it different from today’s corvette, it’s still a corvette
    A telecaster thinline is still a telecaster, Fender says so, so it must be.
    If headstock angle is all it takes to get yer granny panties in a bunch, well I don’t even know what to think of that !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Poster Extraordinaire

His job is Director of Brand Experience at Gibson.

I don't know if you can get any more PR than that.

As for him getting grief about it? Well....

[​IMG]

Dave W and Blrfl like this.
  13. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

So, a Gibson guitar that cost let's say $2500 new and a squier bullet that cost $100 new.

They both accidentally get knocked over on the stand...

The Gibson breaks at the headstock...

The bullet MAYBE has a finish dent or chip...

Wich one can finish the gig? More importantly wich one should be able to?

Live gigs are not always predictable environments, and crazy things/accidents can and DO happen often.

The 100 dollar "beater" that most buy to learn on somehow holds up to the rigors of live use as it is still playable after a "mishap".

The $2500 Gibson in FAR too many cases is left in an unplayable state with a broken headstock, that is irrefutable.

Doesn't matter wich is the better playing/sounding guitar in a perfect setting...

Sometimes it matters wich one can survive and get the job done under not so ideal circumstances.

When you spend that kind of money on what is considered a pro quality instrument, you should not have to worry (within reason), about your guitar being bumped or knocked over and thus not being playable.

Its pathetic really, when so many other manufacturers don't have the issue and it is an easy fix.

They are opposed to a scarf joint or volute because of "tradition" but they are cool with PCB wiring harnesses and dip switches and robo tuners...

I call B.S.

Nubs, knopflerfan, CFFF and 1 other person like this.
  14. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Afflicted

But which one is authentic?

Dats wut madders.

WetBandit likes this.
  15. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

BS on what ?

Why ?

Wait, do you think it’s a conspiracy or something like that ?

I only ask because some of those guys have popped their heads up on this forum in the past, like it’s more than just “hey this is the way we build our guitars, buy them and be careful with them - or don’t buy them.”

Because really that’s all it is.

Greg_L likes this.
  16. WetBandit

No, I'm saying that in the past Gibson have explicitly said they do it that way because of "tradition"...

But, they clearly have no issue with betraying "tradition" with alot of the other changes/features they have implemented over the years.

I'm just calling B.S. based on what they said being contradictory/hypocritical to their own statements/ way of doing things.

bender66 and esseff like this.
  17. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I think Gibson should slightly change the break angle on their headstocks and reinforce them with invisible carbon fibre or graphite rods . They could be drilled in before the headstocks receive the logo plate/ finish. The cost would be minor.

cottonmike likes this.
  18. WetBandit

But that wouldn't be "tradition" lol!

Chunkocaster likes this.
  19. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Your whole post is BS. Why buy a Skyline GTR when a Ford Focus can go to the same places? That's the kind of dumb logic you're applying to this.

The real thing is....just don't buy a Gibson if you live in fear of screwing it up. Simple. Leave them for those of us that aren't careless clumsy oafs. No problem.

Dave W likes this.
  20. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

My buddy the synth slob , (he has the messiest house and a priceless collection of vintage synths ) inherited his dad’s Paramount banjo from the 30’s. The highest level in their whole line. carved MOP everywhere .

I set him up with my buddy Larry the Luthier who went through the whole thing and made it perfect for the next 80 years.

Beautiful banjo, phenomenal set up.

I was at his house a couple weeks later and saw him lean it up against the fireplace surround where there would always be some guitar leaned up precariously . I told him how stupid it was many times.

He went to yell at one of his kids and I saw it topple over as I was stepping out of his house . I heard the crack noise as I was closing the door and I kept on walking.

Just as I got to my truck I heard him lose his mind and start screaming.

Nasty, ragged , headstock decapitation.

Imbecile .

Later at band practice he said “I need to take that banjo back to Larry’s...”

He is a math professor and pension fund actuary who is too stupid to own a banjo.

Figure that one out...

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.