Mario Martin "Honcho" strat........

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Swampash&Tweed, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Swampash&Tweed

Swampash&Tweed Friend of Leo's

Got this in a trade........it was added to help seal the deal. No case, bridge pick up was changed out to a Rio Grande, and it shows some play wear on the back......

Holy **** this is a player! Nice worn in feeling soft V. What a great guitar! I'm not so big on that metal pick guard look.....what is a honcho anyway? I've seen that style before......not my cup of tea. I need another strat like zi need a hole in the head. I got this guitar as part of a trade and totally had it pegged for a quick swap. But I'm going to spend some more time with it. It may be too good to let go. Mod that pickguard.......:cool:

Attached Files:

2. branbolio

branbolio TDPRI Member

Oh man! Looks killer to me. Love his stuff, man I’d love a custom like that one.

maybe change the metal to black
    Bet that would look cool

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  3. Swampash&Tweed

Thanks!

Did some reading on this model....The Honcho is Mario's take on Tele/Strat Hybrid. Tele body, strat electronics with a tele bridge. The metal is a design choice to represent a tele metal control plate. I still think it looks a little weird but I get it more now. Havnt even plugged it in yet. Tommorrow will be fun....

branbolio likes this.
  4. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Afflicted

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-24 um 10.08.49.png

5. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

What did you trade If that was the deal sweetener?
    And what was the main item?

rangercaster likes this.
  6. Swampash&Tweed

Custom Shop tele super Artisan

I recieved a PRS McCarty Smokeburst 58. And the Mario Martin Tele

The tele was cool .....but I'm over the moon with both. Was going to sell one.
    o_O

rangercaster and Fretting out like this.
  7. Swampash&Tweed

Artisan Tele and the PRS.....

Attached Files:

8. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

It’s a Mexican honch.

9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Looks like a keeper!

10. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

That's a Tele....

Nice !!!

11. rangercaster

Did it have a nice case included ?? ?

Post pics, Please !!!

12. Swampash&Tweed

rangercaster likes this.
  13. rangercaster

The new Strat body design looks a lot like a Tele...

I could be wrong ....

14. Swampash&Tweed

Actually from MM guitars......the bottom half is a strat and the Top is a tele that's perfectly mated with a belly cut on the back.

15. Swampash&Tweed

Check it.......I emailed Mario guitars about getting a newer redesigned pick guard .......He replied:

"Hey Al,

WOW! That is a super rare guitar you have there. We only made about a dozen, so they should be super valuable one day.

Unfortunately, a conversion like you are suggesting is not possible, as the body shape for that Honcho, versus the new Honchos are completely different. We have redesigned the guitar 2-3 times since that first run, so the pickguard would not be a straight replacer. We would have to replace the body, pickguard, plate and it would basically be a new guitar when you were done and would lose all collector's value. "

Didn't even know this guitar existed let alone collector value? Tell you what ........its the best playing guitar I have now. Guess its staying as is. He also told me its a 16 month wait for a new one now! :oops::eek:

I might have just stepped in some Do do . He even offered to buy it back towards a new one with the redesigned pickguard I mentioned. Very cool guitar and the people there really like their MM guitars!!

Unionjack515 and branbolio like this.
  16. branbolio

branbolio TDPRI Member

Wow cool. I’ve never played a Mario Guitar but I’ve played stuff made by his parts company Guitar Mill and it’s really great stuff. I have a Thinline body on order from them.

Swampash&Tweed likes this.
  17. Eeeeeagle

Eeeeeagle TDPRI Member

Man, I really like those. Guitar Mill/MM Guitars are in my neck of the woods and I would love to have one some day. I visit his site probably once a week just to browse I wish they offered that body as a stand alone. Maybe one day!

18. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Afflicted

I put Mario Guitars up there with the best boutique builders—I own two of their S guitars with a third (hardtail) custom ordered and they’re making me a T (Thinline...essentially a rebuild of a guitar a certain builder popular here was unsuccessful with) right now as well as finishing a T body and neck pair out of black limba (due for delivery tomorrow). Can’t say enough good things about their necks...they’ve used their “mid-60s oval C” shape on my Ss and it is as perfect as the CS ‘66 Oval C that I adore. Their wood selection is absolutely outstanding, fit and finish is top notch and their prices most definitely serve up better value than CS. Their customer service is off the charts. I even like their headstock shape. Only thing I’ve found that I don’t care for is their cases (TKL)...but that’s really splitting hairs. Awesome...you’ll love it even more as you spend time playing it. It’s got to be a great feeling that the best playing guitar you own was a *sweetener* in a deal.

19. Swampash&Tweed

Why arent they more well known? This guitar took me completely by surprise. I stepped in dookie......

20. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Afflicted

Well, they’re not *that* old...Guitar Mill has only been around since 2005/2006 and Mario Guitars since 2009. If memory serves, it was a “started in the garage” type operation for a while, so very low production numbers I’d imagine. Mario had worked for Gibson and Fender and prior to that was a recording artist. I know the last few years press has definitely ramped up—Rhett Shull did a comparison video on YouTube pitting a CS, a Suhr and a Mario...and the Mario fared very well. Hopefully things continue to trend upward for press and marketing. I know he’s been to both NAMM shows every year for a while now so he’s getting some shine there. With the experience I’ve had with their company top to bottom, I can’t imaging anyone having a less-than-positive image of the company. I think it’s just a matter of exposure, honestly. Has to be.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.