Marinucci 15 Amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Super Penguin, Feb 14, 2021.

1. Super Penguin

Super Penguin TDPRI Member

Hi

My wife's work occassionaly throws out old guitar amps. I recently picked up a 15 watt solid state amp called Marinucci 15 and was wondering if anyone had any information. From what I've worked out so far is that it is made in New Zealand by Dimco Industries, they also made guitars under this brand.

I'm not under any illusions that it is a classic but was interested in restoring it as a project and it looks pretty simple. It works but the pots are scratchy and probably need replacing. It also makes a farty noise when playing low notes loud (speaker problem?). There is some damage to the grill cloth and the vinyl is coming off on the corners.

It has two inputs a gain control for each and master tone control and that is it. I was surprised to find a no name 12 inch speaker in the back. Here are some photos.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

uriah1 likes this.
  2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Welcome, Super Penguin. I see you are getting a lot of views but few responses. Here is what I think about that amp. I see a dangerous amp with high voltage contacts in plain view and therefor easily contacted. I personally would not put money and time...same thing in most cases, right?....into such an amp. If the speaker yields good sounds, I would perhaps use the cab as an extension speaker.I would remove all dangerous aspects before doing so.

BB likes this.
  3. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Holic

I would second using it as a speaker cabinet. The speaker is a huge part of a sound of an amp and that would make a cool cab. Those old electronics are a shock and fire hazard.

4. Super Penguin

Thank you your replies. I think I will take your advice convert it into a cabinet. I'd like to test the speaker with a different amp to make sure the farty noise isn't the speaker. I may replace the speaker grill and use the grill from this on another project.

For my future reference what are the things that you consider dangerous about this amp. Is it that the transformer and the big capacitor are just screwed into the cabinet and not into a chasis or is there something else more fundamentally an issue with the circuit. (note I removed the back to take photos inside) I know capacitors can be dangerous even when unplugged so I haven't started poking around.

Thanks again

5. Wally

That capacitor presents easy access to high voltage contacts. The circuit board is also easily contacted. In general, it is a barebones build that was not thought out with safety in mind. Out of curiosity, is there a label on the back panel advising something like
    “THERE ARE NO USER SERVICABLE PARTS INSIDE”? If not, then it definitely was not built with user safety in mind.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  6. Super Penguin

No sticker other than the Dimco Industries (NZ).

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Super Penguin

I cleaned up the amp, removed the guts and added a jack on the back to use it as a cab.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wally likes this.
  8. Wally

9. amitchener

amitchener NEW MEMBER!

Hi There,

How'd you get on with this? Could you post a higher resolution image of the circuit diagram please? I have a Maranucci 15 that needs restoration...

Many Thanks.

10. Gunny

Gunny Tele-Holic

If this was posted in the Amp Tech forum I think the replies may have been different. No guarantee that this sounds like an expensive Fender amp, however, it's a solid state amp safely enclosed. The max voltage on that cap is under 50 Volts DC. You don't want to be touching it live, but it's not like a tube amp with over 300 Volts on the cap. If it were mine, I wouldn't have given up on the amplifier section and just use it as a cab.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.