1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Marine traffic.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Mar 25, 2021.

1. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

The Marine traffic site has been interesting in the past two days.

https://www.marinetraffic.com

While I saw the traffic jam build from the ship stuck Suez Canal I also saw many more dots start to show in Lake Superior including the James R. Barker on the way to Duluth. The ships back in Lake Superior are another true sign of spring.

The James R Barker has the best horn on the lakes. It's cool to be riding mountain bike on the ridge above Duluth and know what ship is going in or out of the harbor.

Look east on the map and you see the "salties" starting to head west. Very often they bring wind turbine parts into the great lakes and go out with grain.

2. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Blocked Suez...... there's gotta be a few ripe memes coming about this one...:lol:

nojazzhere and Telekarster like this.
  3. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

THAT is an awesome horn on that baby!!! I want that horn in my truck! ;) LOL!!! Thanks for the vid! I could sit there and watch that baby cruise along all day... what a beautiful ship!

4. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It is fun to climb out on the south jetty at the mouth of the Columbia River at high tide to watch the ships. Not your best bet in wind & a high sea state, though.

SparkleFart likes this.
  5. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

My God, how long is this ship?
    This is fascinating!
    * those low notes on the horn are an A to a D

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    imwjl likes this.
  7. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Wow! That Marine Traffic website is fascinating. That just cost me 15 minutes!

t-ray likes this.
  8. imwjl

The James R Barker is one of the "1000 footers". The sizes are limited by the locks and ports. The 1000 footers can't travel the whole inland seaway. The building them seems to go in really long cycles and waves. Newer lakers are smaller and I think most of the 1000 footers have been updated with newer more efficient engines just like two cycle diesels and more cylinders have disappeared in other places. There are still steam powered ships on the lakes but I think the Badger is the only one left burning coal. If you're close to the bulk carriers you hear the engine differences.

We enjoy the two ferries still running vs driving around Chicago when we go from WI to MI. They are polar opposites in terms of technology. I've never crossed the Atlantic or Pacific on a big ship but Lake Michigan and Lake Superior can be serious business depending on the wind. The new ferry is something to watch in back when it gets outside of harbor walls and you see all 16,000 horsepower applied.

The older ships on the lakes and SS Badger are interesting up close or on them because you still hear the engine order telegraphs ring.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  9. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

JC Whitney used to sell an ocean liner horn for cars. Also car stereos where you could add reverb to anything you were listening to. Never bought either but was always curious. Remember JC Whitney? Like 30-40 years ago.

10. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

Oh yeah!!! JC Whitney! Wow... I used to get the catalog in the mail back in the day. Doesn't surprise me they carried this, they always had cool and unique things in there. 61 Fury... so... does this mean you own one? I had a 56 Merc, 57 Olds, and a 63 Buick Convt. myself, not all at the same time of course, but JCW was the only place I could get NOS for my cars at that time, other than NAPA etc.

11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I heard about the Ever Given (ship blocking Suez Canal) on NPR yesterday. They said it is a quarter of a mile long, and can carry 10,000 18-wheeler trailers. (not just the "cargo containers") Not only is the blocked canal a "cluster****", but nothing else can get through the canal either.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  12. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

We saw that on TV last night.
    A ship 1/4 mile long? Holy Sh*t!!!

nojazzhere likes this.
  13. imwjl

I've followed news when the 1000 ft plus ships on great lakes have been in trouble and am pretty sure the Ever Glen is 1300 ft and in the biggest class or close.

Nerding out on this stuff I once saw a YouTube video from the bridge of one of these biggest bulkers trying to stop or slow at max rate. I think the biggest bunkers can weigh 36,000 tons. At 15 MPH you can't slow that very fast.

14. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

The canals are pretty interesting. The best one for a cruise traveler is the Panama, scenery-wise. The Suez in pretty barren most of the way, but interesting none the less.
    2C75CF17-BD69-4A74-804E-6E7B496B0ED0.jpeg
    ^^^my last Suez transit was aboard this^^^

Edit: note the Sailors standing along the rail on the foc'sle for size reference.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  15. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Was expecting this kind of Marine traffic

[​IMG]

16. Blister

Blister Tele-Meister

Yes it is beautiful thank you for sharing. We got similar action on the Hudson River. It brings a certain feeling to mind.

imwjl likes this.
  17. imwjl

We had those here. They were replaced by F-16s and F-35. I liked the slower speed visuals of the A-10s.

dustoff pilot and JuneauMike like this.
  18. buster poser

I only saw A-10s in flight once, it was a group of four heading into our airshow at a B-52 base. Like you say, slow... they looked like they were barely moving, similar to seeing a C-5 in flight at a closer distance, near hovering.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  19. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

We saw a couple A-10s performing in an airshow one time. They reminded me of giant dragonflies.

JuneauMike likes this.
  20. buster poser

Such a great, interesting design and one of those that even people who aren't into military planes are fascinated by. Their reputation in combat certainly helps, but there were always huge crowds around them at the airshows I attended.

Coincidentally, the A-37 Dragonfly is the aircraft the Thunderbolt replaced, at least in the Air Force, per Wiki. I saw a few on static display, way cool repurposing of a trainer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cessna_A-37_Dragonfly

Toto'sDad likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.