1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

March 1st / -54 Celsius

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by codamedia, Mar 1, 2014.

1. muudcat

muudcat Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

One of my usual gigs and occasional watering hole had major damage from frozen pipes around the 1st of Feb. and they just opened yesterday. We're still looking at sub zero(F) nights for another week and I'm running out of fuel. This has gotten very old

2. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

-37Celsius here this morning without the wind chill. But another sunny day! Not a cloud in the sky.Lots of pops and thunks last night. I haven't been outside for a week other than to put the kitchen garbage in the outside garbage can and to dump our veggie scraps in the composter. The wife has been diligent in making sure the birds have plenty of seeds to eat; she's outside every day. The little doggie will go out for a moment or two but that's it. Warm weather coming next week. -15C or so! Balmy! I hate winter!

3. sneakyjapan

sneakyjapan Poster Extraordinaire

Time to fire up the BBQ.

4. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yesterday the sky was clear, the sun was out, the temperature hit about 60F, and I drove home from work with my windows down.

Today, it was in the upper thirties and it snowed a bit.

5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I wound up in Wisconsin one time when it was about 8 below zero F. I thought to myself, self, when we get out of here we ain't never comin' back. That was somewhere around 1971 or so, now I ain't sayin' I won't ever go somewhere that cold again, but so far I haven't. I guess my question would be why would you want to live some where that if you was to slip outside to take a whiz, they'd find you in the spring frozen to your own popsickle? I know there's gotta be some good reason that you folks live somewhere it gets 30 below anything, but I sure can't think of anything that would keep me there. If I had to walk out of there in steps, one state one summer, another the next, and so on, I'd finally be living somewhere that didn't require long johns to sit in by the fireplace. Glutton for punishment? What?:eek::eek::eek:

6. jonal335

jonal335 Tele-Holic

I was born and raised in Winnipeg and the weather is the main reason I now live on the west coast. I got really tired of living in a place where the weather could kill you if you did something stupid...I was definitely at risk of that when I was young...

7. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

It doesn't get that cold here but we've seen -15º F this winter.

My answers on why we stay here -

1.) Wife's job and benefits (and she bought 5 years of her retirement already)

2.) Michigan, Huron, and Superior

3.) Cost of living. Bread is a nickel, gas is $1 and a mansion is $200,000. Well - close.

I firmly believe this winter is viewed as so extreme because sure - it is, but also, around here people remember our winter 2 years ago when our average temp was 50º, virtually no snow and we hit the 80's in March.

Last winter was purely average w/ a cold day being 20º.

8. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

It's been cold and miserable along the Ohio River valley all winter too. Today, we have another wintery mix of ice and snow... lovely.

9. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, been thinking of digging the BBQ out of the iceberg and firing it up!

10. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm with you... there is no way I could live in an environment like that. I actually enjoy some cold weather, but those kind of temperatures, weeks and months on end? That's nuts. I don't see how they do it.

11. allen082

allen082 Friend of Leo's

We hit 80 yesterday. Right now, I'm watching it sleet outside.

12. vibrasonic

vibrasonic Tele-Afflicted

Minus 29C this morning in Sault Saint Marie.

13. O- Fender

O- Fender Tele-Afflicted

I know in Winnipeg, you will eventually hear something like "Tomorrow is going to be a great day. It's going to be -15!".

14. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

We're expecting a foot of snow by tomorrow evening. Great....

15. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

I went skiing when if was -54F on the top of the mountain when I was a kid. I went out on a motorcycle ride once at 10 below because the bike was in my living room and it was the only thing that would start. Sun went down, it dropped to 20 below. I like riding at 20 below. A layer of leather over a layer of wool over a layer of cotton means I'll bounce like a toy ball if I lay it down. :lol:

It's right around freezing right now, warm for this time of year. I just put another log on the fire. I may venture out to start the grille. :D

16. troy2003

troy2003 Friend of Leo's

I've heard that this is fourth coldest winter ever in MN. It's been so miserable some just want to keep it up and break the record.

17. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

I'm waiting on a guitar coming from Canada, kind of worried with all the temp changes.

18. Canuckcaster

Canuckcaster Poster Extraordinaire

I went out to jam with some buddies last night and when I started my van to come home, the temperature was -34C. With the windchill I heard we were sitting at -44C. I was actually afraid to take my guitars out in that crazy weather. I HATE WINTER!!!....but I love where I live.

CC

19. Starshine

Starshine Tele-Afflicted

Get back to me when it's 120 and humid this summer.

20. StuH

StuH Friend of Leo's

The worse bump in the night sound I ever heard was at my mom's and dad's place in Nova Scotia. They had aluminum siding and when the siding contracted in the cold it sounded like someone was hitting the side of the house with a baseball bat.

I'm up in the Yukon Territory now and everything is wood, I hear an occasional creek or pop but nothing as loud as that siding on mom and dads house.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.