Which leaf is better?

• Maple

Votes: 57 67.1%
  • Rosewood

Votes: 28 32.9%

• Total voters

GGardner

Friend of Leo's
Maple leaves remind me of James "Big Maple" Paxton who was great for a few years in Seattle but disappointing in NY.

1669500535545.png

jays0n

Friend of Leo's
I was going to choose Rosewood because when I think of guitars I want, I imagine rosewood. But when I think of my guitars I actually play daily, it’s only the maple ones … so … I guess it is maple for me.

Lou Tencodpees

Tele-Afflicted
Live Oak leaves were made by the devil. Can't effectively rake or blow them, curse them.

I always found Sycamore leaves fascinating. They fall, dry out and sound like paper plates blowing down the street.

For the purpose of this poll, maple leaf.

Jared Purdy

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I have three guitars. Two electrics, one with a maple fret board, the other with rosewood. The other guitar has an ebony board. I like all three, and I would not want to have only one type. Somehow, maple just belongs with a Fender, Strat or Tele, and rosewood just somehow belongs on a Gibson, LP or SG. And well Martin and ebony are inseparable. That's just what I think, which in the grander scheme of things means diddly.

stxrus

Doctor of Teleocity
My favorite fretboard is ebony, maple my next.
The maple leaf is such a majestic leaf it is raised heads and shoulders above rosewood or ebony

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
When I moved out here from the prairies, I discovered that the maple trees out here have leaves as big as platters. Seriously, if one falls on your windshield, it entirely obscures your vision. I had one fall and stick to my wet motorcycle helmet, covering the visor. That was terrifying (although it would have been a supremely Canadian way to die). I did some quick research to discover what maple species they are. Turns out they are (drum roll please…) Broadleaf Maples.

What focus group came up with that clever name?

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member

ChicknPickn

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Rosewood fretboards are better feeling to play, have a warmer sound, aren't harsh like Maple, and look better on stage.
(all of which is obviously my pre-conceived, psychological opinion.....based solely on personal prejudice) ;)
Them would be fightin' words. If I weren't havin' a peaceful, easy feelin' today.

Cosmic Cowboy

Tele-Afflicted
Having a few of both and two guitars with ebony, I honestly dont know if I really care or can tell a difference.

Maple is easier to care for. Rosewood is pretty and may sound a touch bassier with less top end idk.

For me, frets seem to matter much more than fingerboards.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Rosewood fretboards are better feeling to play, have a warmer sound, aren't harsh like Maple, and look better on stage.
(all of which is obviously my pre-conceived, psychological opinion.....based solely on personal prejudice) ;)
Them would be fightin' words. If I weren't havin' a peaceful, easy feelin' today.
Once again, I say we need a "tongue-in-cheek" emoji to indicate when we're being sarcastic. ;) (I thought I was being obvious)

ChicknPickn

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Once again, I say we need a "tongue-in-cheek" emoji to indicate when we're being sarcastic. ;) (I thought I was being obvious)
You were! And I was funnin' too! Lord knows I don't get bent out of shape over anyone's preference in fretboard material. What would people say if they knew I had one guitar with a fiberglass neck and another with a fretboard of bowling ball material ("ebonite")?

Last edited: