1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Maple veneer shims

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Stan Martin, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Stan Martin

Stan Martin Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Where would I get a small piece for my neck pocket?

2. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

A 1/2" slice off a regular business card is a good place to start.... either end, depending on what you are trying to correct....

a full length wedge shim isn't going to make a lot of difference. IMHO... let alone trying to make one so thin and flat/level....;)

3. Stan Martin

Biz card

I have one in there just to raise everything up a bit as The saddles were too low. I kept hitting the side rails on the ashtray. That.s why I didn't shim just for break angle purposes. Heck it plays great now, I was looking for a material that would compress so much over time.

4. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

OK, you want to raise the whole neck up, flat.... as if the pocket is cut a bit deep?...

5. Stan Martin

exactly

like I said, the business card works just fine, but I'm looking for something that won't compress as much. Heck I can keep replacing the card when that happens, but a more "permanent" solution would be a wee bit better.
    Or maybe I should address my neurosis first.:lol:

6. Tallthinman

Tallthinman Tele-Meister

Could you cut one out of a margarine tub lid? I haven't tried it (yet :) ) but it seems like it would be about the right thickness.

7. Stan Martin

will

the margarine lid fatten my tone:rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  8. Peltogyne

Peltogyne Friend of Leo's

Business cards can be a bit squishy. I used to use paper more like a magazine cover and just fold over enough layers to get the thickness I want. It doesn't compress as much and you can get any thickness you want.

You can get maple veneer in many places though you may find it's actually too thick.
    http://www.woodcraft.com/product/158814/maple-veneer-3-sq-ft-pack.aspx

9. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

Feeler gauges or thin brass or alimuniun sheets from 1/64th up, cut to dimension. Found those in hobby sections of stores

Cut to size.

10. Doorlord

Doorlord Tele-Holic

You could cut the side rails down, as long as you don't use the ashtray. Leave about 1/8" to maintain rigidity and keep the tone from leaking out.

11. Doorlord

Doorlord Tele-Holic

Like so

Attached Files:

12. Stan Martin

thanks

everybody. A piece of veneer is on its way. I do like the cutting back of the top side rail. I have the bottom cut as I do use pick and fingers.

13. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

I once had to add a shim under a 3 saddle half bridge and used a piece of single ply pickguard material cut to perfectly match the bottom of the bridge. I cannot discern any noticeable difference in tone at all.
    I couldn't raise the saddles high enough in this case, and it seemed a better fix than a fat neck shim.

14. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Won't make any difference to anything. Leo's factory originally used little pieces of thin plastic in my 68. Have used cardboard, business card and sand-paper. Sandpaper is my favorite as the layers can be built up.

Once a material is squished in there under pressure of the neck screws it won't compress more than it already has.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.