Maple neck and maple body refinishing

Skywalker7110

NEW MEMBER!
I bought a circa 1990 Hohner Professional Custom TE Mark 1 guitar. Picture a Korean Fender Telecaster, as they were sued by Fender to stop making this replica of the Fender Tele.

I have removed all hardware on neck and body, sanded the paint off of the body, sanded it down to 220 from 80 grit. Now I'm ready to turn it into a butterscotch blonde, not too transparent though. I have performed a refret and sanded the front and back of the neck. (Just delicious)

Question 1 - It's maple, so I don't need to apply grain filler?

Assuming that answer is no, should I go to sanding sealer x 3 coats and wet sand THEN apply the stain via spray can of ColorTone Vintage Amber, or do I apply a few coats of clear lacquer, then the stain?

I keep it to one question as your answers will probably get me to where I need to go.

Thanks in advance. I've been reading this for years, but finally decided to make my own tele.

JP

bullfrogblues

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
My first piece of advice is to practice on scraps.
IMO, though maple doesn't need pore filling, a coat or two of sanding sealer sanded back down to level any small blemishes is not a bad idea. Sand to 400 but dry sand, not wet sand.
Next spray the amber to your desired color, then clear coat. Only sand between the amber and the clear if you have dust or something else in the color coat.
More of the experts should chime in soon. Everyone has a different idea of a finishing schedule that works for them.
One of mine is never wet sand until ready to polish the final coat. Contaminants can be introduced that will give the coats after that a problem like fish eyes. And you can sand too fine and have adhesion problems.
I hope you get fantastic results!!

Fenderdad1950

Friend of Leo's
I bought a circa 1990 Hohner Professional Custom TE Mark 1 guitar. Picture a Korean Fender Telecaster, as they were sued by Fender to stop making this replica of the Fender Tele.

I have removed all hardware on neck and body, sanded the paint off of the body, sanded it down to 220 from 80 grit. Now I'm ready to turn it into a butterscotch blonde, not too transparent though. I have performed a refret and sanded the front and back of the neck. (Just delicious)

Question 1 - It's maple, so I don't need to apply grain filler?

Assuming that answer is no, should I go to sanding sealer x 3 coats and wet sand THEN apply the stain via spray can of ColorTone Vintage Amber, or do I apply a few coats of clear lacquer, then the stain?

I keep it to one question as your answers will probably get me to where I need to go.

Thanks in advance. I've been reading this for years, but finally decided to make my own tele.

JP
Pics?