1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Maple fretboard or Rosewood?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Twofingerlou, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Twofingerlou

Twofingerlou Tele-Meister

Im still trying to figure out my bends, what you mentioned makes sense though.

2. blues

blues Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I like both. Rosewood has a slightly different feel attack so to speak than maple in my opinion fwiw I notice it more if my amp is overdriven. I had an Tele with a Rosewood board in the past.

If/when I get another Tele I will get a rosewood board. I like those early 60s slab boards :) I also like the 60s shaped necks.

Both of mine have maple. Nothing wrong with maple. I would like something a little different.

OP If you can play a few you will find what you like.

Twofingerlou likes this.
  3. 4wotitswurth

4wotitswurth TDPRI Member

Asking for trouble here I guess.... strats, not teles... have 92 and 94 strats, both usa, rosewood, std models. I not long ago replaced, pickguards, string tees, pots, caps, 5 way switches, and both have 57/62 pickups now. Also changed at the same time, both necks to mim maple fender, same source for purchase. All hardware sourced same place and same fender packets. Cut both nuts same way, no clever profiling, just extended the precut slots. Leveled necks and pickup height same as I can tell by eye, Damn! These two guitars sound very, very different from what they did, much brighter, resonant to hell and back, both actually sound slightly different from each other, no idea why, and probably never will know. Summary; I have no f*g clue, with so many variables going on, what affected what, but they sound terrific... to me.

Ricky D. and Twofingerlou like this.
  4. saleake

saleake Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I prefer maple, but I have a custom shop 60’s Telecaster with a rosewood fretboard that I really like. I can’t tell any difference in tone.

northernguitar and Twofingerlou like this.
  5. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

I have both and find that I don’t think about what kind of fretboard I’m using while I’m playing. Got much more important things on my mind in the moment. Just my experience; ymmv.

6. Fuggle

Fuggle Tele-Meister

Maple all day. Everyone knows rosewood fretboards on Strats or Teles are for heathens!

Twofingerlou and Chicken Curry like this.
  7. Cicada Nation

Cicada Nation Tele-Meister

I think the maple looks better. I like black dots better than white. Also, all my electric guitars of other brands have a rosewood board so I need maple to break up the monotony.

northernguitar and Twofingerlou like this.
  8. MAXXFIELD

MAXXFIELD Tele-Meister

Maple if you want the best. Rosewood if you need variety.

Twofingerlou likes this.
  9. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

For me: maple then rosewood

Twofingerlou likes this.
  10. Erdowonge

Erdowonge Tele-Meister

I find it easier to see the scales on a maple fretboard

mally and Twofingerlou like this.
  11. Chicken Curry

Chicken Curry Tele-Meister

One piece maple for me, fuller tone best I can describe it. You can also get two piece maple if you want a third option.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    Twofingerlou likes this.
  12. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I have both, and have had ebony in the past as well.

I like the feel and look of rosewood and ebony better...but my #1 guitar has a maple ‘board, so obviously it doesn’t matter that much.

Poe-tay-toe, Poe-tah-toe/Toe-may-toe, Toe-mah-toe.

dogrocketp, Twofingerlou and mimmo like this.
  13. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

I've enjoyed all types except maple with a glossy finish. I can't deal with the stickiness that results when it's humid or I'm sweaty. Sand the finish down though, and I love maple.

14. Chicken Curry

Chicken Curry Tele-Meister

This is true, my 50's AO has very thick gloss on the fretboard, makes it hard to bend to pitch.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  15. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I did a quick inventory and found that I have far more rosewood fretboards than maple, but I like them both. When I play, my fingers are in contact with the strings and the frets for the most part, so fretboard finish doesn't play nearly as much of a part in playability as the neck finish and how worn it is. Playing in humid conditions can be tortuous, but it's much more a factor of sticky strings than a sticky neck, and almost never a sticky fretboard.

EDIT: I don't notice any difference in tone between one fretboard material and another.

16. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

If you have trouble seeing the position markers on rosewood or bending on a glossy maple neck, then you have serious technical problems.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  17. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Your fingers are in contact with the frets? Really? You must have some really wacko technique.

18. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

I’ve had both but prefer maple. Both of my strats, and both of my teles are maple. I like the look and feel better than rosewood.

Twofingerlou likes this.
  19. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Honestly, with modern fretwire, I don't really feel the board at all

Twofingerlou likes this.
  20. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

A couple years ago, I saw a Performer Tele like you describe at GC. Looking at it, it had features I didn't care for. Big frets, 22 fret neck, neck humbucker. But I loved the color. I tried it through a Deluxe Reverb amp. It was magic. That neck humbucker could play great jazz and it will coil split. The Yosemite pickups sound great. It played beautifully and is now my #1 gigging guitar. Take one for a spin and judge for yourself.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.