1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Maple fretboard or Rosewood?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Twofingerlou, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Twofingerlou

Twofingerlou Tele-Meister

Since I’m in the market for a new Tele figured I’d ask here. What do you prefer and why? I have a player strat with the maple neck/fretboard. I’ve never had a guitar with the rosewood fretboard. I’m pretty sold on the performer tele in vintage white which is only offered with the maple neck/fretboard.

I’ve heard some say the tone is warmer with a rosewood fretboard. Can’t say I can tell a huge difference from the ear listening to others play.

Do you not care and go by looks and what’s offered with a particular color in the model you’re after?

preacherjayk likes this.
  2. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I just go by what I think looks better

I’ve found I prefer rosewood

Of course if I was going for an early 50’s style tele I’d go with maple

If it’s not a reissue and period correct doesn’t matter go with what you want/like

3. Twofingerlou

Do you find it any easier to bend on the rosewood?

4. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

This has been debated a million times here and elsewhere before, so get ready for a rocky ride once again. Some will claim there's no difference, and others, like me, will say that there is. Only you can decide if you hear a difference or not. To my ear, a maple fretboard is brighter and more balanced across the frequency spectrum, and a rosewood board has a more pronounced midrange, which gives the neck pickup on a Strat or Tele a rounder and woodier tone. I hear it less on the other pickup settings, but, that being said, I prefer rosewood. Every time I buy a maple neck guitar I end up selling it.

Nixxy, Maguchi, mojek and 8 others like this.
  5. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I'm a big fan of bare maple fingerboards.

It's not some tone thing, I just like the look and feel of them.

I have rosewood, ebony, and other type fingerboards on many of my guitars, and I like them just fine.

But the maple does it for me.

:)

Got Twang, Dog Bite, Nixxy and 10 others like this.
  6. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

Maybe just do a title search.

Dereksys38 and Unionjack515 like this.
  7. lathoto

lathoto Tele-Meister

Ebony, then rosewood. I prefer a mahogany neck as well.

8. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Afflicted

B8EE9FE0-FFC1-4B14-B86B-ADB37FED063A.jpeg

9. doctymie

doctymie TDPRI Member

I have both and after playing all of them for a while, I find I prefer the rosewood. It just feels better to me and has a warmer tone.

10. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Maple on a Tele. A Strat can be either. Just a preference, not a rule for me.

19sixty3 and Twofingerlou like this.
  11. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

Forget the sound difference. There isn’t any. It is about touch and feel. Do you like feeling a little tooth? That would be rosewood. Do you like feeling a smoothness. That would be maple and ebony.

12. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Pick the one "YOU" like!

13. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Afflicted

Strata and Teles only look correct me with maple fretboards. Back when I began playing in the 50’s that was the only way they came all we ever saw played. Even after the began making them with rosewood all we still ever saw played by anyone were the older ones. Especially the younger guys that could only afford used.

Rosewood still looks as wrong to me on Strats and Teles as an LP or 335 would look with maple.

I do own one Squire SE Strat with rosewood. It rarely gets played as it has two things going against it, the rosewood and it is a black guitar. Don’t care for black guitars, cars or clothes.

14. arlum

arlum Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

My fingers feel like they have more traction on a Rosewood board and I just feel more sure of myself playing when I'm using one. That said .... I love the look and mental vibe I get from a Maple board. In some instances it just seems like that's the way it's supposed to be. Anyway, after saying nothing of value I'll admit to owning multiple versions of both.

Maguchi, timbraun and Twofingerlou like this.
  15. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

I like Pau Ferro. Before it became a 'substitute' it was seen as a boutique option.

Between Rosewood and Maple I'd pick Rosewood if I could only have one.

16. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

I have both. I think I play more thoughtfully and carefully on a rosewood board, and have more fun with maple. Rosewood is comfy, maple pushes me outside my comfort zone.

Maguchi and Dereksys38 like this.
  17. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

With perfect technique it shouldn’t matter but how many of us have perfect technique

If your fingers do come into contact with the board then it’s probably easier to bend on maple since it’s finished and slick

Twofingerlou likes this.
  18. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Frankly i would focus on the feel rather than the tone. The tone difference is so minor that 1/16" turn of the tone knob will deal with it.... if that.
    The feel is different though. At first I felt the fret board with maple, I got over that but as the guitar wears, the finish on the maple wears off and maple stains. With Rosewood or Ebony there is no finish necessary.

Caedarn, SRHmusic and Twofingerlou like this.
  19. Twofingerlou

My player strat with the maple fretboard looks great! I’m still learning but it does seem kinda slick. I love the look of one though as it seems to match about any color combo. I’m just debating on getting something with rosewood next to compare too. I know many will say to try one in the store. But imo that’s not enough time to get familiar enough with.

20. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

That's not true at all. Only vintage style maple boards have a slick glossy finish. There are many maple necks that have a thin satin finish on them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.