Maple Acoustic Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by jamorudd, Nov 8, 2015.

1. The Boss

The Boss Tele-Meister

Wow!
    Shes gonna be a real beauty!
    Nicely done.

2. Manny012

Manny012 Tele-Meister

Beautiful work and materials.

3. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Thanks, folks!

I hit a little bump with the bridge last night. I decided to widen the saddle slot just a bit more, so I set it all back up in the makeshift jig, however I didn't realized I hadn't tightened up one of the clamps that held the straight-edge guide for the dremmel base. So, it moved and I had this:

[​IMG]

At that point, I figured it was best to call it a day.

So this morning, I cut and sanded down a piece of wood, matching grain and color as best I could, but the grain in this wood has such wide variation it was tough to get it a perfect match. Glued it in with a sliver of maple acting as a wedge for clamping pressure:

[​IMG]

And flush cut and sanded:

[​IMG]

It's not a perfect match, but being right next to the strings and nut, it's a pretty busy area on the guitar, so I don't think it will be too noticeable at all. Plus, I'm out of this type of wood to use for a new bridge blank, so I'm just gonna stick with it.

4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Nobody will ever know.....the saddle will be a distraction.
    You can always make a new bridge if it really bothers you.... right? You aren't that far along.

5. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, I think I'll end up just sticking with this one unless I have some new good idea. At this point I don't think it bugs me too much at all.

6. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

The other solution I considered was routing it all out a bit wider, and gluing in a piece of maple, then routing out the inside of that for the saddle, leaving a kind of interior binding around it. If done right, I think it would be cool. I'm just hesitant to risk making an even bigger mistake by going overboard in fixing the first.

7. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Perfectly saved!!!

8. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

It's a wise man who knows when to stop ;).

I'm with everyone else. I think it's a great fix, and not one that'll be noticeable to anyone but you.

9. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Thanks guys.

Just a mini-update this evening. Got some rosewood thicknessed, sanded and ready to be cut to shape for the bridge plate. This is from the same stock as what I used for the top of my 2015 challenge build.

[​IMG]

10. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

No update today, but according to shipment tracking I should have the bracing stock in hand some time tomorrow. Wednesday's are pretty busy for me, though, so I'm not sure I'll get much shop time.

11. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Got the chunk of torrefied spruce in the mail today. Here's how it compares color-wise to the other spruce:

[​IMG]

From there I cut it down to appropriate widths. 8mm for the X brace, 7mm for the tone bars, 6mm for the finger braces.

[​IMG]

Then started cutting pieces down to rough length:

[​IMG]

Then it was on to the X brace lap joint:

[​IMG]

And then marking some lines on the bridge plate:

[​IMG]

I hope to start getting stuff glued up tomorrow, and possibly get the box closed up as soon as this weekend. I last minute change of plans seems to have left me with a free weekend home alone!

12. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Started getting stuff glued down this morning. First, was shaping the bridge plate:

[​IMG]

Then started cutting the sound hole braces to length and adding the angles to the ends. Left me with this:

[​IMG]

And cut a small cap for the X brace lap joint from the extra bridge plate material:

[​IMG]

And here is that progress all glued down:

[​IMG]

I hope to get the tone bars and finger braces glued down this evening, then it's on to shaping the braces...

13. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Got home from work today and started working on it, and I guess I got in some sort zone working on the bracing, because when I finished and decided to go get dinner, it was already nearly 9:30. And here I was expecting it to be 7:something.

Oh well, I got the bracing all done on the top. I'll come back to it tomorrow and see if anything jumps out at me that need a fixin'.

First got the rest glued up:

[​IMG]

Then some rough shaping. I pretty much only used this little finger plane I picked up at woodcraft a couple years ago. It was only like $25, and it is the handiest little thing. I'm constantly using it, it seems like.

[​IMG]

Then using the chisel, and following it all up with some sandpaper, I knocked out the end tapers on all of the braces. Here's how it turned out:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If I can stick to my guns, I think I'll make tomorrow a clean-up day. I've accumulated quite the mess in the house AND the shop working on this and a couple other things lately. However, Saturday I have pretty much the whole day free, so I'm hoping to get the box all closed up by the end of the day.

14. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

That sure is looking good!!!

15. Robert.II

Robert.II Tele-Meister

This is looking great! Makes me want to get my butt in gear and finish my parlor guitars.

16. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Thanks y'all! I couldn't stay away like I'd planned today, so I've got a good update coming eventually. But, and this will be a shock to most of you, Photobucket is giving me trouble again! My phone is downloading Flickr at the moment, so hopefully I have more luck with that...

17. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Ahhh I see, photobucket is down for maintenance. I didn't get the memo because I was trying to upload via the iPhone app...

18. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

At last!

Marked where the braces intersect the linings:

[​IMG]

Then carefully notch the linings with the dremel:

[​IMG]

Pretty good fit:

[​IMG]

Repeat for the top:

[​IMG]

Then the top glue up:

[​IMG]

Then the back:

[​IMG]

And after trimming and sanding off the excess:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then it's lots and lots and LOTS of sanding. I'm sure some people with better touch than me can get better results while bending sides. I, however, always end up with a little bit of wobble in the sides that needs sanded out. I do this with a sanding block and a pencil to help find the low spots. After about 2 hours of hand sanding I got about 80% of the way around the body smoothing it all out. I'll knock out the rest of it tomorrow. Here's what I'm talking about:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those are the two worst spots. It's the type of thing that doesn't just jump out at you as a huge flaw. Until you've got it all taken care of, then you can really see how much more clean it looks. (But it's also the sort of thing that makes for very boring photos!)

19. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

It looks nice. I think that low spot is due to the flatsawn wood more than the the bending process. Even with quartersawn you can develop low spots. You've inspired me to buy fresh titebond to glue my braces on the parlor too. Now if we get a week of low temps, I'll do it.

20. Guitar novice

Guitar novice Tele-Afflicted

Just logged into this channel and saw this thread.

Great job. Really like the accents you have gone with.

How did you decide on the bracing shape? There seems to be so much difference between builders even when using a martin x bracing pattern. My last build i was working on making it as light as possible.

Keep it up.

Matthew

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.