1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Manny's

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by omahaaudio, Mar 5, 2021.

1. John E

John E Friend of Leo's

As a youngster, I have many fond memories of 48th St.... Sam Ash, 48th St guitars, and of course... Manny's. I would spend blissful hours on this street back in the 90's (and of course before that with my pop dragging me though the stores).

Ronzo likes this.
  2. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Friend of Leo's

RIP Henry. I got a fair amount of gear at Manny's back in the day. All the guitars &amps are long gone by now. But I still have the Frogg Compu-Sound that Henry sold me probably around '74.

IMG_7076-scaled.jpeg

3. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

Went in there once before our band played the Lion’s Den. Cool place. And our vehicle was broken into. Gotta love NY.

telemnemonics likes this.
  4. Slip Kid

Slip Kid Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

My parents took me to Manny’s in ‘86 to buy my first Strat (a Contemporary in white). I remember seeing a black CBS era Strat in the window and possibly a paisley Tele. I wish I knew about vintage Strats back then and the place across the street, though!

5. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

That block of 48th St is a travesty now.

TCA117 and t-ray like this.
  6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I made it a point to never leave anything of value in my car, BUT, somebody broke a window to steal the roll of tarpaper that was clearly visible. A roll of tarpaper was maybe five bucks at the time and weighed 40lbs.

??????????!!!

1955 likes this.
  7. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

Cool. I can remember being in Manny’s in the early ‘80s just checking out stuff and I noticed a sales guy and customer. The customer was a somewhere in his 20s and had his eye on a Ric 360-12 natural. The sales guy was letting him plug it in and play. The customer was playing some typical Byrds stuff. I could tell that the guy had wanted that guitar for years. There was no way it was going back on the wall.

Slip Kid likes this.
  8. KennyWTelejazz

KennyWTelejazz Tele-Meister

I'm sad to hear Henry passed away .
    I worked at Manny's in the guitar dept from early 1983 to late 87 .
    Henry ran Manny's as if he was the coach of a Super Bowl team on game day .
    He used to like standing outside to watch the pulse of 48 th street as the day unfolded ....

A lot of people don't know how generous Henry was ...A few doors down from Manny's there was a Studio called Right Track Studios.Henry would often let some of the top studio musicians borrow a piece of gear for a session .
    Henry used to take out his store employees ( the whole store ) after hours to a fancy restaurant and foot the bill including drinks ...
    I purchased a number of guitars off Henry when I worked at the store ...
    He always gave me a cost plus shipping price ...

Yeah Henry was prickly when it came to getting things done his way ...
    I think he had high standards and ethics ...
    He walked his walk and backed up his talk ...I don't think he ever asked anyone to do anything he wouldn't do himself ...
    Henry was tough on the outside I can tell he was deep in the inside ...
    I remember one day I was 15 mins late for work ...Henry said that's it your fired ...
    we argued a little bit and I asked him can I at least finish my cup of coffee in peace before I go ...he stormed off and I got super lucky a customer I had worked with the day before came in the store and bought a Strat , and amp and some pedals off me ....his total was over 1500.....( that was some coin in the early 80's)
    After he paid up front I took my cup and headed for the door .Henry said too me where are you going ? I said I'm going home you fired me .. he then told me to get my a$s back to work and answer the phones ...
    He copped a menacing pose , I copped a defiant pose , he smiled when I wasn't looking , I smiled when he wasn't looking and I went back to work ...I lasted about 3 years after that one...

It has been over 30 something years since I worked for him and I can sit here and go on for hours ...
    I won't because I wanted to write a little blurb about Henry ...not me ...RIP Henry Goldrich

Kenny

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  9. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I met Henry in the 60’s. Used to take the subway and cruise the music stores before I had a driver’s license. I bought my first Telecaster from Henry in 1971. 50 years later I still have it. Played it tonight thinking of Henry and Manny’s both now gone.

telemnemonics likes this.
  10. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

1984. Went into Manny's looking for a small amp.
    They sold me a brand new Fender Super Champ with an EVM speaker.
    Damn, I wish I still had it.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  11. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My Les Paul came from Manny’s, a birthday present from missus marshman in 2000. I remember trying a few that day. I spent the remainder of the day and the next morning sitting in our hotel room when she went to work with my feet up on the window ledge picking and grinning watching lower Manhattan (including the Twin Towers) out the window.

12. Dan Skammer

Dan Skammer Tele-Meister

I bought my first bass there in the spring of '67 , a Hagstrom , new for $85..came back a few months later and got a Gretsch(Valco) Super Bass amp,still have the Hagstrom receipt for the bass in a scrap book..

13. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

My Father ran a marine electronics business on Long Island. One of his customers was Manny's son-in-law. I worked with my Father in the early 80's. Worked out for all, I bought a JC-120 from him, my Father bought a Selmer Sax. Very cool store, great history.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.