Mandolin Orange

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Paul in Colorado, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I saw this group from about ten feet away last night. Two voices, three instruments and some of the most beautiful and powerful music I've heard in a long time. This was a make up show for a cancelation in March when they couldn't get to the show because of weather. It was worth the wait. Opening was a woman from Montana named Martha, I think. I didn't write it down and she never introduced herself. She sat in for a couple of songs near the end of the night.

IMG_20190610_203154.jpg
    IMG_20190610_203200.jpg
    IMG_20190610_205650.jpg

ukepicker, burtf51, Toadtele and 3 others like this.
  2. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

Martha Scanlon?

I really like Mandolin Orange. I'm glad you got to see them. I wish they'd stopped out my way.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  3. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

I'm really impressed by their songs on Youtube. In particular I like Emily's fiddle playing.

4. Paul in Colorado

I think that was her name. Thanks!

King Creole likes this.
  5. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

I'm a fan! I have been for years. I've seen them twice.
    I have tickets to see them in a few weeks in Baltimore.

The first time I saw them, it was just Andrew and Emily. The next time, they had the full band. They performed and sounded great both times.
    I can't wait for Baltimore!

Their guitar player, Josh Oliver, is a great talent. He has great chops, makes very musical choices (IMO) and adds that third harmony vocal that so many of their songs need.

I love the sound they get from that Tele Deluxe. Did they play it last night?

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  6. Paul in Colorado

Just the Martin, The F-5 and the fiddle. He's really a good mandolin player. I didn't miss the band though I was expecting them and was a little disappointed at first. I'd like to see them with the band sometime.

ukepicker likes this.
  7. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

I'm really surprised there's not more talk about this band.

Andrew and Emily are the real deal. When I saw them as a duo, they had 4 mics: one for each of the their vocals and one for each of their instruments. I basically sat to their side at the venue - I watched them use mic distance to mix their voices and instruments so well, so professionally. I doubt the soundman had to do anything.

When I heard them with the band, they had a soundman traveling with them. Not the greatest sounding venue, but he made them sound fantastic! A real asset. They also let loose and played some pretty showy stuff on their instruments.

Man, I'm excited about seeing them in a few weeks!

8. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Tele-Meister

Another fan here. Great music, simple approach. Takes some skill to pull that off.

9. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Big writeup on them in the current Fretboard Journal. Really interesting people with great musical sensibility. I listen to such melodic, harmonic, meaningful music like this, and then turn on the radio to hear rap, hip hop, Shania Twain, you name it, and I want to throw up. At the latter.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.