Man I wish I had the scratch...

lowatter

Tele-Holic
Just saw this Byrdland locally for $950. Could this be for real or is it a chibson? You can't even find used LP Standards anymore for $1500.

00n0n_354p0vsW8Vnz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

00808_aRgzibP0s4sz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

00j0j_cQysaXu9Ht6z_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

Bill

Poster Extraordinaire
Not that knowledgeable here, but the fretboard looks like rosewood not ebony, the inlays look more plastic than mother of pearl, the Venetian cutaway is the wrong shape as is the pickguard, it has an incorrect tailpiece with no engraved name on it, there’s no wooden archtop bridge base, and the neck and body binding appears to be abalone not multiple black and white layers.

Not for me, but maybe I’m missing things or it’s a custom shop deal.

Last edited:

lowatter

Tele-Holic
data base search-

Your guitar was made
on Tuesday, 19 July 2005
Production Number: 561

Serial Number Breakdown

Year

Day

Production Number

W.L.Weller

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
1989 Gibson Byrdland Guitar https://reverb.com/item/46656989

I didn't even know there were Byrdlands with non-Florentine cutaways. (The Nuge is the only Byrdland player I can think of off the top of my head)

I wouldn't pay a dollar for it without being able to play it. Even if/though it's not a Gibson, it might be a good guitar.

lowatter

Tele-Holic
I believe they did make a non florentine cutaway in the 50's/60's but I can't find a later example unless it's a custom shop model.

lowatter

Tele-Holic
Here's the description in the ad. I won't say where it's posted however...

"Nice playing Gibson Byrdland guitar for sale. Serial number- 0200556 USA made. Semi-hollow body. In excellent condition! Sells for prices ranging from $2,000-$5,000, selling this one for $950 cash. Would make a great Christmas gift!!"

hmemerson

Tele-Meister
Platinum Supporter
Just saw this Byrdland locally for $950. Could this be for real or is it a chibson? You can't even find used LP Standards anymore for $1500.

00n0n_354p0vsW8Vnz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

00808_aRgzibP0s4sz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

00j0j_cQysaXu9Ht6z_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

A Byrdland is a completely hollow model with a floating bridge.

Whatever that thing is it has a block of wood down the middle, hence the bridge with screwed in posts.

Walk away, Renee.

HE

Crafty Fox

Tele-Afflicted
It might be a pissed off ex selling hubbies guitar cheap just to piss him off. :confused:

I'm a carpenter and a few years ago I did some work for an angry, wealthy ex-wife who offered me her husband's 60's Precision bass and Telecaster towards the cost of the work, about $350AU.
Sheesh, for a moment I had a huge devil on one shoulder and a very tiny angel on the other.
But no, I couldn't do that to another person. I know how I'd have felt if my ex had done that to me!
I considered jacking up the price just to spite her, but then maybe her ex was still paying the bill. So I left with my dignity intact.
Oh, and the Fenders were real beauties too.:cry:

drf64

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I'm a carpenter and a few years ago I did some work for an angry, wealthy ex-wife who offered me her husband's 60's Precision bass and Telecaster towards the cost of the work, about $350AU.
Sheesh, for a moment I had a huge devil on one shoulder and a very tiny angel on the other.
But no, I couldn't do that to another person. I know how I'd have felt if my ex had done that to me!
I considered jacking up the price just to spite her, but then maybe her ex was still paying the bill. So I left with my dignity intact.
Oh, and the Fenders were real beauties too.:cry:
Sometimes a man card is trialed by fire.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I'm no expert but one thing I see that makes me question it is the fact that the fret ends are on top of the binding, and not encapsulated like Gibson's usually are... FWIW. 950 seems like too good a deal to me... something just ain't passing the smell test with me...

StudioZoar

TDPRI Member
Not even close to a real Byrdland:
1. Body wrong shape
2. Incorrect bridge and taipiece
3. Incorrect knobs
4. Incorrect pointer at end of fingerboard.
5. Incorrect font used for lettering of serial number and "Made in USA"...as if...

Bill

Poster Extraordinaire
If it’s a Chibson, I expect the owner is selling it for more than twice what they paid.