Making the nut.

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Mongo Park, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Mongo Park

Mongo Park Tele-Holic

I have a pair of tele necks I am making and it is the nut making part. I am no expert here and just sort of make it up as I go along, and look up the measurements that other people use.
    I have used camel bone in the past but thought I would try some Corian. I have read it is the real stuff it makes a good nut. I am looking forward to trying this one neck as it has a V shaped back. I guess it doesn’t show in the photo

Attached Files:

tubegeek likes this.
  2. Mongo Park

Mongo Park Tele-Holic

I measured the slot width and marked off the Corian. One neck is slightly larger than the other but extremely small differences
    I cut off 3 slices with the band saw, they will get used. I also checked the depth to see that it will be high enough It is high enough and long enough to make 4 nuts from one strip.
    The photos are not in the right order which is my bad but you get the idea.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    tubegeek and whoanelly15 like this.
  3. Mongo Park

Mongo Park Tele-Holic

The next step is to get the strips to fit into the slot. I use a file to slim them down when I use a power tool it is to hard for me to make them a even thickness and that millisecond where to much is taken off. So I file a little fit a little, hold my mouth just right and play some most excellent tunes and things come tougher
    I rub some pencil on to see where the low points are so I make sure I get them all out.
    Rhe unfinished maple one is the ever so slightly wider one. So I will do it first. It is easier to hold the piece if I leave it long.

Attached Files:

tubegeek likes this.
  4. Mongo Park

Mongo Park Tele-Holic

I made a half pencil to mark where the fretboard meets the nut. I add on the height of the first fret. The nut must be higher that the fretboard plus fret. It is just about right in the middle and will need to be rounded a bit towards the edges but it is good to go. Different ways to measure this but it fit with the quickly made pencil

Attached Files:

tubegeek likes this.
  5. Mongo Park

Mongo Park Tele-Holic

I cut off the nut, and started on the second one. I filed the next piece to fit the ebony neck. It was a little quicker as it was almost to dimension.
    I will have to look for my nut cutting files for the next step. If I can find them I will file tomorrow, if not later when they show up.

Attached Files:

corliss1 and tubegeek like this.
  6. Mongo Park

Mongo Park Tele-Holic

I found the files, but decided to wait until the neck is on the body with some strings on it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.