Making shell side dots

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by zorgzorg2, Jul 25, 2019.

1. zorgzorg2

zorgzorg2 Tele-Meister

20190723_154900.jpg
    So I found those nice shells on the beach, and was wondering if there was a simple way to get side dots out of these ? I suppose trying to punch holes in them would just break the shells in thousand pieces, right ? My idea was to have purple side dots. The shells are about 2 millimetres thick.

Any tips ?

2. Mr_Q

Mr_Q Tele-Meister

I actually have the same question, similar use (inlay). Cutting circles is very difficult, your eyes notice the slightest variation.

One thing I have learned is DO NOT breathe the dust when cutting it sanding any shells! It does nasty things to your lungs.

Q

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

3. ponce

ponce Tele-Holic

A diamond core drill like this and a Dremel:
    medium-diamond-core-drills.jpg

KG7IL and Treadplatedual like this.
  4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Maybe a small brass or steel tube from a hobby shop filed with saw teeth on the bottom. Chuck it in a drill. Maybe use a lubricant and dust mask.

5. zorgzorg2

zorgzorg2 Tele-Meister

6. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

I've tried cutting my own pearl for inlay and basically gave up. It is so tedious and time consuming and I kept breaking pieces. I can by a buy dots in any size and any material for about 50 cents each - I'll let the guy with the cnc make them.

7. Hags

Hags Tele-Meister

You might be able to use a counter sink bit with the bit removed and using adrill press image.jpeg

8. zorgzorg2

zorgzorg2 Tele-Meister

@Hags nice idea, I would have to check the diameter of the inner bit.

@Freeman Keller ok, I might not have the proper equipment either. I could keep these for custom inlays instead...

9. E-miel

E-miel TDPRI Member

Would it work if you crushed the shells and then mixed it with a little glue to make a paste?

LeftFinger, Zepfan and DrASATele like this.
  10. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I'd go with Marty's suggestion of the small diameter brass tubing. I do a similar process when making my circular fret markers, but for shell I'd try to set it up so the shell is in a small bath of water with the slowest speed on the drill press and very little pressure. If you get some small diameter brass hollow rod, if the shells don't work you can have some nice little brass circles instead. I usually use aluminium tubing and file in a single tooth or two opposite each other, with slow speed and very little pressure. It works most of the time! Hand drilling with a pin-vice should be OK as well.

DC

11. cleanheadsteve

cleanheadsteve Tele-Meister

i remember one guy on here took a small piece and superglued it to the head of a nail, then he spun the nail in his drill press while he sanded the edges. once the shell was the same size as the nail head, then he removed it from the nail and had a perfect dot. maybe he used heat to remove the shell from the nail, i'm not sure

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

LeftFinger and brandonh like this.
  12. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

I did this kind of.
    I use 5 minute epoxy and crushed them using a marble mortar and pestle I also created dust by sanding. On my tests I did crushed pieces and the dust. No sparkle in the dust version, particles were too fine. The stuff from the mortar and pestle were small enough to work and but large enough to be sparkle-y even in a 1/4 dot.

RodeoTex and LeftFinger like this.
  13. Slowtwitch

Slowtwitch Tele-Meister

Those shells are White Mussel, doubt it will produce what you're after. rather use an abalone shell

Good luck, I found it not worth the hours spent and little return on producing workable sized shell pieces, never mind cutting them to dots

14. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Pearl side dots is a mistake if you will ever play in low light. I will never use anything but white on dark wood or black on light wood.
    They will only be visible under certain conditions and there is always some of them that don't reflect light from the players point of view. They may look nice in a brightly lit room or in a store but they suck on stage.

That said... I have made fretboard pearl tots using a slotted piece of tubing in a drill press. I wanted slightly larger fretboard dots.

20140315_155020.jpg
    20140315_161857.jpg

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  15. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

I used that method for the dots on the front. To get them off the 3/16 steel rod I drowned it a Acetone jar

16. zorgzorg2

zorgzorg2 Tele-Meister

Cool ideas and advice, thanks a bunch !
    Well, they are white on the outside and purple on the inside. I was aiming at using the purple part. Crushing them would defeat the purpose... but yeah, maybe it would be easier to use epoxy and pigments then in the end...

I also have abalone, got it from a friend from NZ.

I imagine this will be quite time consuming, but with the new import tax they introduced in Sweden a year and a half ago, I have to find reasonably priced shell dots in europe now. (Use to order them on Ebay from taiwan...)

17. zorgzorg2

zorgzorg2 Tele-Meister

The drill tricks sounds fun and easy, I'll try that

18. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

19. zorgzorg2

zorgzorg2 Tele-Meister

Thanks

20. zorgzorg2

zorgzorg2 Tele-Meister

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.