1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Making knobs stiffer

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by Rich_S, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I noticed something yesterday about my Xotic BB Preamp, when I stomp the switch, my foot keeps turning the volume knob nearly all the way up. It's a great sound, but it's not exactly what I dialed in. It's also one more point in favor of the Boss SD-1 that's continually in contention for my "favorite OD", but the SD-1's front-mounted power jack disqualifies it from the position on my pedalboard presently occupied by the BB.

So, I'm thinking of ways to make the BB's controls less sensitive to the occasional inadvertent nudge. Duct tape over the knobs is out... I want to be able to adjust them by hand "on purpose", and it looks like hell. Has anybody tried putting rubber "O" rings or short bits of surgical tubing around the pot shafts, under the knobs, to increase friction?

What about clamping a short piece of aluminum angle under two of the pot shafts, to make a small "wall" between the footswitch and knobs? This would sort of mimic the step in Boss' design between the treadle and the knobs. The more I think about it, the more I realize Boss has the best stompbox design in the universe.

Suggestions?

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

small rubber bands, doubled/tripled up

3. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

detent potentiometers

4. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yep!

Rubber washer should do the trick

5. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's

It may even work to just slip different thicknesses of felt over the shaft so that the bottom of the knobs drag against the felt. Then you could adjust how easily they turn by adding or subtracting different thicknesses.

6. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

Grolsch beer washers?. They solve the problem on stratocaster volume knobs.

7. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

stiffer Knobs have been the bain of many guitar players...... for some its livable for others, not so much.

show your guitar a new Fender catalogue, that'll stiffen it's knobs!

8. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Groupies

RLee77 likes this.
  9. poboy

poboy Tele-Meister

I have had success with the foam "Caulk-saver" tubing they sell at the hardware store. Cut a piece off, poke a hole in it and slide it over the pot shaft, and compress it down with the knob. If you want it stiffer, use a longer piece of foam.

Also, for full size pots, you can make them stiffer by filling the inside the pot body with automotive dielectric grease (you will have to remove the back of the pot to do this). Alternately, you can leave the pot body intact and use the grease that comes in a pressurized can and inject it into the small hole in the back of the pot where the leads come out of the body.

Hope this helps.

10. notyalcer

notyalcer Tele-Meister

As already mentioned, a 3/4" rubber washer over the pot shaft, captured between the knob and pedal body, works very well. Adjust the stiffness by how far down you push the knob.

11. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Rub them briskly .

12. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Careful you don't pull em off. Messy mid gig.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.