Making Humbucker and SC Play Nice

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by WrayGun, Aug 1, 2019.

1. WrayGun

WrayGun Tele-Afflicted

What do you all think of this eBay item (it’s not mine)? Does it seem like a good idea, or overkill?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?...houghts? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. WrayGun

WrayGun Tele-Afflicted

simoncroft likes this.
  3. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Meister

Interesting approach. While I personally would not want concentric controls on any stage guitar – because it's too darn fiddley – I can absolutely see the point of having optimised component values for the two pickups.

If I were wiring this for my own use, I think I'd rather have ganged pots on a single spindle (so normal knobs, not concentric controls) then maybe a couple of trim pots inside, so I could optimize the level and tone between the two pickups, then forget all about what was inside the guitar!

Still, the whole point of custom wiring is that it suits the player who ordered it. :)

4. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire

Looks cool, not totally out of line pricewise for the work and parts.

You're going to be a little over a $100 for this and knobs. If that's okay.

I'd rather do a 500k volume pot, a 250k tone pot and a .022uF cap. Done it before and worked out great.

You can wire it for the bucker(neck) to see 500k, the N/B to see 500k and the bridge to see 250k with a resistor.

There's several schematics floating around here with that diagram.

As far as pickups go. What comes to mind right off is a SD Seth Lover/SD Jerry Donohue.

There are other combos too. Just one that came to mind.

Let us know what you come up with.

Grant Austin and simoncroft like this.
  5. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

You may not have to change anything. I've used various Gibson and Dimarzio neck humbuckers with an old tele and the main problem was always neck p/u overpowering the original bridge p/u plus buzz and ice-pick from the bridge p/u. Had plenty of high end on the HB even with tele pots and cap. This was back in the days before all these p/u choices.

Recently installed a Dimarzio DP211 humbucker at the neck and an Area T bridge p/u - with new 250K pots and the usual tele cap.

Have plenty of treble on the HB, no need to change pots or caps, these two p/u work really well and balance together, great sound for recording, no noise but a bit light in some live situations. Had to reverse the wiring on one of them to stay in phase on the middle position even though both pickups are from Dimarzio.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    simoncroft likes this.
  6. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

If you think that would work for you, then go ahead and try it. Is the point for you to have VVTT controls like a Gibson, or is to have the "proper" component values? Because the component values can be anything you like!! 250k / .047 is NOT the only thing you can use on SC guitars and 500k / 0.022 is NOT the only thing you can use for humbuckers both companies - and many other companies - have used a range of component values over the decades.

I would not advise you to do this if it's because you think it's necessary for each pickup to "see" it's "correct" pot and cap values, as there are no correct or incorrect pot or cap values. I don't know why guitarists are SO conservative on this point.

This kind of setup might get you the best sounding guitar for you, or it might not. You might discover that you actually like .033 or .022 caps on all guitars (I do).

7. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

@WrayGun

I don't think that's overkill at all and if it gives you what YOU want and need go for it. I can't count how many times i've wished that one of my Les Pauls had a Tele pickup in the bridge! :D The available balancing will provide some fairly amazing sounds in the middle position, as well as each pup on it's own! Only thing I'd do differently is provide the labor (pretty good with nippers and a solder iron) myself and save 1/2 to 3/4 of the price. But then again,

I'M CHEAP!:p
    Gene

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.