Making an 18 watt sound more like a Marshall, less like a Vox?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by itsGiusto, Aug 17, 2019.

1. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I like Celestions because they sound the best to me at proper stage volumes in a band setting. Focused punchy and sweet. They sound less impressive at low levels.

itsGiusto likes this.
  2. itsGiusto

itsGiusto Tele-Meister

I would agree with you, but I'll not sure why the volume should matter. Speakers are supposed to work on a sound like an impulse response: given any frequency input, that frequency should be linearly multiplied against the impulse response of the speaker. So why is this not our experiences with greenbacks? I can think of two possible explanations:

1) the speaker itself distorts the sound. When we run it loud enough, it no longer linearly propagates each frequency, and instead distorts, changing the ratio of frequencies to each other

Or
    2) our hearing is not linear. Due to the Fletcher-Munson curves, bass and high treble frequencies need to be a lot louder for them to register as equal loudness in our brains. Consequently, only past a certain volume setting will we really start hearing the full frequency response of the greenbacks

To be clear, both 1 and 2 are true. But I'm not sure which is more responsible for this "greenback sucks at low volume phenomenon".

Following up on this, why is it that greenbacks don't sound sucky when recorded, on all those classic albums we love, when we play it back at low volume on our home-speakers? Is it just post-processing and eq to get it to sound good at lower volumes? Or is it because it's actually recording a distorted speaker, meaning that it's recording a more well-balanced version of the sound?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.