Making a mic'd acoustic guitar sound like a DI?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Ecadad, May 29, 2020.

1. Ecadad

Ecadad Tele-Holic

Here's an interesting one-

I see lots of stuff on how to make a DI acoustic sound more real, but how would I make a mic'd acoustic sound like it was recorded through a DI?

2. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Live, or recorded?

3. Ecadad

Ecadad Tele-Holic

So I have a recording of an acoustic guitar, the recording was mic'd in a studio, and we're trying to make it sound like it was recorded on stage with a DI

4. David Barnett

I'd start by sucking out a lot of the bottom end below about 160Hz, and give it a huge "piezo quack" boost about 4KHz.

5. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Holic

Exactly. What I was going to say. DI usually sounds bright and narrow, and articulate. Some well-placed compression might give you that "squashed" sound too. Plus maybe play with a noise gate to see if you can eliminate any reverb.

6. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Cut the low end, add lots of high end and high mids, crank it till it's in the red.

7. Ecadad

Ecadad Tele-Holic

Thanks, I'm gonna start with these and see what it sounds like!

8. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

You could get a di box and plug it in to that? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

I was hoping to hear why anyone would want to do that.

10. David Barnett

Fake "live" album?

Ecadad and RodeoTex like this.
  11. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

I just recorded some tracks with a Sony condenser clipped to the sound hole, a Neumann M149 at the 12 fret and a Fishman DI off the guitar. The DI track is very midrange focused with less sparkle and little bottom. Hope that helps.

12. Biffasmum

Biffasmum Tele-Meister

I’ve worked on some mixes of live recordings where we’ve attempted to match a sound in the studio to fix live fluffed notes etc.

Sometimes we’d overdub more parts to improve overall impact, but particularly acoustic instruments which suffer the most in live setting.

USian Pie likes this.
  13. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

I hate to disagree with some suggestions.... but it's the low mids (the body of the tone) you want to cut, not the low end itself. This should be a gentle cut (about 3db) in the 400hz range with a 1.5 - 2 octave Q. The actual low end you can HPF as required to sit in the mix properly.

Next add the piezo quack (4k)... a little goes a long way. Then compress it fairly aggressively. I'd set the ratio to 4:1 then lower the threshold until you can clearly "hear" the compression. There is nothing transparent about the compression of a piezo ;).

I don't know any way to remove the percussive pick sound the mic would have caught.... Piezo's can't capture that tone so if it's there that is a dead giveaway it's a mic rather than a pickup.

USian Pie likes this.
  14. Ecadad

Ecadad Tele-Holic

Exactly this! We recorded a song a while back and we're doing a "fake live mix" for fun for a little movie we're making.

15. David Barnett

I like this. Maybe the cut below 400Hz will already take care of this, but there's also a "boxy" element that may need to be added, which could be a small med-Q boost around 400-600 or so. Then there's a "grainy" or "brittle" texture, which could probably be added just by slightly overdriving something in the chain. Wouldn't take much to do it.

16. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Afflicted

Perhaps we need to work our way backwards from he usual "How do I make my DI acoustic guitar sound more life-like."

The first step for this in my live sound days was to compress the he!! out of the piezo output. There were usually two acoustic guitars, so I EQ'd them to where they had their own "space" in the frequency spectrum.

So... Maybe use an expander and EQ to get that tinny ice-picky sound back. Maybe add some humm and some high end sizzle while you are at it?

17. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Less work to just grab a guitar with a piezo and record another track. It's not like you need to treat the room or anything. Just sayin'.

The key to life is to let laziness work for you.

18. Ecadad

Ecadad Tele-Holic

I would totally just record a new guitar track through a piezo, but I'm currently stuck without an acoustic guitar, just a mic, bass, and my laptop right now, so I'm remixing old stuff for fun until I have access to all my toys/gear again.

19. Biffasmum

Biffasmum Tele-Meister

Just another thought, if you can lay down some DI guitar on another track you have something to easily A/B while you fiddle.

When messing with EQ to target the right range, according to the musical register remember, dial out the +\- all the way, and sweep through the frequency until you find the right spot. If you have a ‘bell’ adjustment you can control the range of the effect and then change +\- to the right level.

This works well for lower frequency but for mid/highs you might want to be more conservative with the gain as they are the frequencies that make you deaf! :confused:

20. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Fingers rather than a pick?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.